Jonathan W.

Default West Marine is Terrible

Bob Cross wrote:
For several years I worked for two locally owned Marine Supply Stores. We
prided ourselves in boating knowledge and service. Many times we could get
obsolete and hard to find parts for our customers and personal service was a
hallmark. Lots of special orders, special attention and a wealth of marine
know-how.

Unfortunately when West Marine cameto town our customer base vanished
overnight..based on price alone ..and most could care less about the
knowledge and service we provided. Both stores closed up. I guess you get
what you wish for. When I hear folks gripe about West Marine I remember
back when...Just some thoughts on how we all got ourselves in this mess.
"Keith" wrote in message
oups.com...

Do what I do... get a price quote on the web then either buy it there,
or take it into West Marine where they will price match. I went into
sticker shock awhile back when I went in to buy a bottle of 3M's
Finesse-it clear coat polish. $50!!!!!!!! plus tax! I bought it on the
web from an automotive supply for $25, including freight.

I've had that experience. As a kid (in my teens) I worked in my
stepfathers hardware store in Eatontown, NJ. " B.D. Wolcott's Sons, Farm
and Garden suppliers since 1891" We knew what we sold and gave
countless lectures on "how to do this or that". It was satisfying work.
People would walk in the store with an object in their hand and a
puzzled look on their face. "I need one of these" and we would sell it
or order it.

When the home centers started coming in, the mantra became, "I've looked
everywhere, but I knew that you'd have this (widget)." But along the
way they left most of their money at the home centers.

We used to sell a marine line of paint and cordage, just to keep the
post boating centric

Working on Ocean Planet last year I came to appreciate Hamilton Marine,
in Maine. They have a good assortment and prices seemed reasonable. They
have a web presence.

Jonathan

--
I am building my daughter an Argie 10 sailing dinghy, check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr