sherwindu

Default West Marine ,, is that the worst store or what

Bill Kearney wrote:

You want local chandleries but expect them to compete against online
pricing?

My gripe against West Marine is their generally higher prices, say

compared to
what I can find online.

Take the time to print it out and they'll often price match.

The big conglomerates like West Marine seems to
have forced out all the competition.

Is it the conglomerates or unrealistic shopper expectations?

No, it's the lack of competition allowing them to charge whatever they want.
Why should I have to bargain with them by showing ads for items at lower
prices.
I prefer buying in a store where I can see the merchandise. My expectations
are
that there should be a reasonable mark up on merchandise. Also, although
West
has a pretty good selection of boating products, there are things which they
don't
carry. When you are stuck at your slip in need of a part, you don't want to
wait
several days for a shipment. There is no guarantee that having other stores
around
would help you find those items, but it increases the probability that you
will.
How would you feel if there was only one chain of auto supply stores in
your
state? There would be a big outcry, because we need our cars more than we
do
our boats.

Sherwin D.

-Bill Kearney