Default Cleaning Fenders

Any way to get fenders clean. The ones I inherited are filthy but
serviceable. Would you use a tire cleaner ?

Thanks , Dave

Used to moor near a refinery, and had all kinds of opportunities to get
my fenders clean.

QuickStrip works, but is pricey
Acetone works (by eating away your fender)
Comet, a stiff brush, and elbow grease are what I usually use.

good luck!

Keith

Some fenders just can't be cleaned... like mine! However, the best
results I've seen come from a couple of things:

Starbrite makes a shore power cord cleaner that works very well, but is
expensive. Another good combination is Simple Green and Barkeeper's
Friend scrubbing powder. Spray the surface, sprinkle the powder, and
scrub away with a Scotchbrite pad. This works for just about any vinyl,
including seats.

Rich Hampel

I use Interlux 2333N solvent to clean my fenders (and other vinyl).
This solvent disolves the surface layer of vinyl, so you have to be
FAST when wiping away the surface layer with a clean rag soaked in
2333N. When wiping, the remaining surface is 'fluid' but when the
solvent 'flashes' the surface vinyl will 'harden' in about an hour.
Obviously you cant do this often ... as the fender will soon totally
disolve away. Works great on vinyl rub-rail inserts.

In article . com,
Keith wrote:

Some fenders just can't be cleaned... like mine! However, the best
results I've seen come from a couple of things:

Starbrite makes a shore power cord cleaner that works very well, but is
expensive. Another good combination is Simple Green and Barkeeper's
Friend scrubbing powder. Spray the surface, sprinkle the powder, and
scrub away with a Scotchbrite pad. This works for just about any vinyl,
including seats.

Wayne.B

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 03:30:05 GMT, "Jim," wrote:

The Taylor Web site recommends Mineral Spirits

Which in spray form is also known as "WD-40".

It actually is a pretty good cleaner for some things, particularly
uncured bedding compound.

Cleaning Hypalon dinghy? RW Salnick Cruising 8 August 9th 14 07:57 AM
Boat Cushion Cleaning Question Thomas Wentworth Cruising 15 June 4th 06 06:28 AM
Air compressor for hull cleaning BajaJim Cruising 49 April 28th 06 04:54 PM
Old tires as boat fenders Bluto ASA 2 November 16th 05 11:57 PM
Cleaning Fiberglass Rick Cruising 19 October 21st 05 07:13 PM