BoatBanter.com

-   -   Cleaning Fenders (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/70686-cleaning-fenders.html)

[email protected] June 13th 06 08:43 PM

Cleaning Fenders

Any way to get fenders clean. The ones I inherited are filthy but
serviceable. Would you use a tire cleaner ?

Thanks , Dave

[email protected] June 13th 06 09:03 PM

Cleaning Fenders

Used to moor near a refinery, and had all kinds of opportunities to get
my fenders clean.

QuickStrip works, but is pricey
Acetone works (by eating away your fender)
Comet, a stiff brush, and elbow grease are what I usually use.

good luck!

[email protected] June 14th 06 02:23 PM

Cleaning Fenders

wrote:
Used to moor near a refinery, and had all kinds of opportunities to get
my fenders clean.

QuickStrip works, but is pricey
Acetone works (by eating away your fender)
Comet, a stiff brush, and elbow grease are what I usually use.

good luck!

I've had very good results by using Spray Nine. It has something in it
that just seems to work. No affiliation with the company - I'm just a
happy customer.
Doug

Wayne.B June 14th 06 04:47 PM

Cleaning Fenders

On 14 Jun 2006 06:23:48 -0700, wrote:

I've had very good results by using Spray Nine. It has something in it
that just seems to work.

Spray Nine is a good cleaner, no question. One of the problems with
fenders is that certain cleaners damage the top layer and cause a
sticky residue to form over time. I'm not sure if Spray Nine is a
culprit in that regard or not. Once it happens the only cure is
replacement or fabric covers.

My advice is to start with something relatively mild like Simple Green
and work your way up as required. For me the next step would be Pine
Sol for dirt, or possibly a little gasoline on a rag for tar like
residue.

Keith June 15th 06 01:09 PM

Cleaning Fenders

Some fenders just can't be cleaned... like mine! However, the best
results I've seen come from a couple of things:

Starbrite makes a shore power cord cleaner that works very well, but is
expensive. Another good combination is Simple Green and Barkeeper's
Friend scrubbing powder. Spray the surface, sprinkle the powder, and
scrub away with a Scotchbrite pad. This works for just about any vinyl,
including seats.

Rich Hampel June 15th 06 03:52 PM

Cleaning Fenders

I use Interlux 2333N solvent to clean my fenders (and other vinyl).
This solvent disolves the surface layer of vinyl, so you have to be
FAST when wiping away the surface layer with a clean rag soaked in
2333N. When wiping, the remaining surface is 'fluid' but when the
solvent 'flashes' the surface vinyl will 'harden' in about an hour.
Obviously you cant do this often ... as the fender will soon totally
disolve away. Works great on vinyl rub-rail inserts.

In article . com,
Keith wrote:

Some fenders just can't be cleaned... like mine! However, the best
results I've seen come from a couple of things:

Starbrite makes a shore power cord cleaner that works very well, but is
expensive. Another good combination is Simple Green and Barkeeper's
Friend scrubbing powder. Spray the surface, sprinkle the powder, and
scrub away with a Scotchbrite pad. This works for just about any vinyl,
including seats.

June 15th 06 03:59 PM

Cleaning Fenders

I have fair size fenders. To clean them I use auto tire spay soap cleaner.
At time I also used pumice (old Dutch or Big Five).
Then I apply Amorall.

djules June 16th 06 04:14 AM

Cleaning Fenders

I bought used fenders at yard sale. They were filthy so I put in
bathtub w/ oven cleaner on them & scrubbed them clean.

Wayne.B June 16th 06 05:34 AM

Cleaning Fenders

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 03:30:05 GMT, "Jim," wrote:

The Taylor Web site recommends Mineral Spirits

Which in spray form is also known as "WD-40".

It actually is a pretty good cleaner for some things, particularly
uncured bedding compound.