Thomas Wentworth

Default Boat Cushion Cleaning Question

What is a good detergent, cleaning agent, to wash the boat cushions that go
below, main salon cushions.

Mine are dirty, plus some mildew.

Roger Long

Tom,

Do you have a boat to go with those cushions?

If so, I'd like to know what you finally bought.

--

Roger Long

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in message
What is a good detergent, cleaning agent, to wash the boat cushions
that go below, main salon cushions.

Mine are dirty, plus some mildew.

boomerswims

Peggie Hall wrote in posted topic "minimizing odors":

permaeated cushions and other softgoods. The cure
for that: Go to pet store and buy some microbial (MUST be microbial,
not
chemical) pet odor eliminator...remove the covers, saturate the foam
(not dripping wet, but only enough to penetrate all the way into the
middle of the cushion from both sides) with it..put the cushions out in
the sun to dry for day. Send the covers to the cleaners or wash 'em.

Hope this helps you. I found it helpful.

boomer

Fabric cushions? Or vinyl ones?

Let's assume fabric.

Get yourself the following:
* High-power wet/dry ShopVac or a Bissell Little Green Clean Machine
* Hi-Temp Protein Stain Remover
(http://www.topoftheline.com/proteinstainremover.html)
* an All Purpose Cleaner (APC)
* a pail
* a medium hardness nylon bristle brush
* a good spot remover (as used for clothing)

Then:
* Vacuum the cushion, upholstery or carpet
* Mix some Hi-Temp Protein Stain Remover with a dash of APC and a pail
of warm/hot water
* Stir it up with the brush and let it sit for 5 mins for the HPSR and
APC to dissolve in the water
* While waiting, spray your spot remover onto the surface generously,
concentrating the spray on the heavier soil spots
* Scrub the solution into the fabric/upholstery/carpet. What I do is
hold the brush in one hand and scoop some water with my other hand onto
the surface. Work in small squares (1'x1') when agitating and scrub
front to back, left and right, repeating over each swipe. You will see
the solution saturate the fabric. Just scrub the solution in and move
on to your next area.
* When the entire area is saturated, begin where you begun scrubbing
the first section. Proceed to extract the water solution out of the
fabric/carpets/upholstery. I usually take the filter out of the ShopVac
(more suction) for this and move slowly over the surface to insure
complete extraction of the solution. A Bissell Little Green Clean
Machine will provide better results as it spits water (I suggest the
non-heated version, just fill the reservoir with hot water) at the
carpet before sucking it up. Rule of thumb with the LGCM is to use the
hot water spray until you can see there is no longer dirty water being
sucked up (the extractor head is clear to see the water).
* When done, the areas will be damp. Leave the hatches open or place
cushions/upholstery in the sun. It should be dry in an hour or three,
depending on relative humidity.

Cheers

Thomas Wentworth

Yes, I have a boat.

But, I can't ,, or won't tell what it is on this forum.

I will see you down in Cape Pourpoise, Maine. That is where your boat is,
right?

What is the name of your vessel?

==========
"Roger Long" wrote in message
Tom,

Do you have a boat to go with those cushions?

If so, I'd like to know what you finally bought.

--

Roger Long

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in message
What is a good detergent, cleaning agent, to wash the boat cushions that
go below, main salon cushions.

Mine are dirty, plus some mildew.

Stephen Trapani

Thomas Wentworth wrote:

Yes, I have a boat.

But, I can't ,, or won't tell what it is on this forum.

Bayliner? ;-)

"Roger Long" wrote in message

Tom,

Do you have a boat to go with those cushions?

If so, I'd like to know what you finally bought.

--

Roger Long

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in message

What is a good detergent, cleaning agent, to wash the boat cushions that
go below, main salon cushions.

Mine are dirty, plus some mildew.

--
Stephen

-------

For any proposition there is always some sufficiently narrow
interpretation of its terms, such that it turns out true, and
some sufficiently wide interpretation such that it turns out
false...concept stretching will refute *any* statement, and will
leave no true statement whatsoever.
-- Imre Lakatos
Roger Long

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote

Yes, I have a boat.

But, I can't ,, or won't tell what it is on this forum.

Oh, Good Grief. You've got to be kidding.

Does anybody believe this?

--

Roger Long

Thomas Wentworth

Roger ,,, I'd rather stay anonymous.

As much as I like to get info here, I am not going to publish my boat's
name, length, or hailing port. Or my real name.

It opens one up to too much risk of internet problems and scams.

I will look you up when I am down your way.

=====================================
"Roger Long" wrote in message
"Thomas Wentworth" wrote

Yes, I have a boat.

But, I can't ,, or won't tell what it is on this forum.

Oh, Good Grief. You've got to be kidding.

Does anybody believe this?

--

Roger Long

Don White

Roger Long wrote:
"Thomas Wentworth" wrote

Yes, I have a boat.

But, I can't ,, or won't tell what it is on this forum.

Oh, Good Grief. You've got to be kidding.

Does anybody believe this?

Interesting...either he has a special one of a kind boat that would
immediately identify him...or he's ashamed of what he has. He shouldn't
let that get him down..Skipper admitted numerous times that he had a
Bayliner and no one thought the worst of him because of it.