Dennis Pogson

Default Beneteau vs. Jeanneau

Cartmann wrote:
"Cartmann" je napisao u poruci interesnoj

Sorry for white space, a use MS word as a spelling and grammar
checker, evidently something happen with encoding.

You should write to Bill G. about this, and keep someone in employment.

Markus Baertschi

Cartmann wrote:
This is my first sailing boat, so I don't know what to look. I will use it
for family vacations and charter. Only thing that confuses me is price
difference because is not small, in Croatia Sun Odyssey is more than 30.000
Euro cheaper than Oceanis. So I try to find reason for that big difference
in price.

If this is your 1st sailing boat then you need to get experience :-).
Buying a sailing boat is as difficult as buying a car or a house. You
should start to define what you like in a sailboat and go from there. It
might be a good idea to rent each boat for a week or two. That way
you'll see yourself which one you prefer and why. If you don't then
consider a part of your investment 'learning expense', because you'll
find out over time only if you like the boat you've bought or not.

Markus
JB

I ordered a SO 39i in January. I had a look at a number of differnet
boats and concluded that the SO 39i was the right boat for me for a
number of reasons. I had a look at the Beneteau but I did not
seriously consider this boat as in my veiw this is more of a comrtable
floating caravan than a quality sailing boat. I have done a lot of
sailing (racing) and with a young family I wanted a cruising boat that
also sails well and that can be handled shorthanded without the clutter
in the cockpit or racer cruisers (like a mainsheet track throught the
Cockpit and proimary winches that cannot be reached from the helm
position. The SO39i will sail better than the Benetau but which is
probably just as comfortable. In my veiw you do pay a hefty premium
for the Beneteau name which you do not so much with Jeanneau. Also
Jeanneau build quality is famous and has a far better reputation than
beneteau, althougbh now there should not be any issues with either boat
on the hull. The other swaying factor is the above deck gear. It is
very easy to focus on the hull but the Jeanneau 39i has Harken deck
gear and a Selden mast. I don't know what the Benetau comes with but
the biggest issue that Benetau has in my veiw is the lack of attention
paid to the above deck stuff.

The 39i also carries its beam all the way aft, this makes for a bigger
cockpit area and a powerfull hull shape - good for reaching!

The other boat which I seriously considered was the Hanse 400. This
looks like a great boat with more choice of interios layout and rig
etc. The reason why I chose the Jeneau over this boat was the fact
that Jeneau build quality is better and I like the twin wheel set up of
the 39i.

Other boats I considered we

Grand Soleil 40 - very nice, but more of a racer cruiser and a bit more
expensive.
Dufour 38.5 Grand Large - very nice but more exepnsive and I prefered
Jeneau build Quality

If you can speak German, there is a yacht test of the 39I on
http://www.yacht.de - the headline is "Complete Package". This German
magazine also has a number of other tests for other boats in the
similar category.

In my veiw it is a no brainer if you are considering the SO39i or the
Oceanis 39 - The SO 39i is a better boat and it is 30k cheaper - but I
am biased!!

Cheers
James

Evan Gatehouse

Cartmann wrote:
"Dennis Pogson" je napisao u poruci
interesnoj ...

I was thinking of a Beneteau Oceanis Clipper 393 (150k eur in Croatia
with elec. pack and bimini), or Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 39i (new model)
- 120k eur.

Since they are both made by Groupe Beneteau, who own Jeanneau, perhaps you
should ask them.

Thnx, I didn't know that. Beneteau dealer says that "beneteau is brand name,
and jeanneau isn't", Jeanneau dealer says opposite.

The older Jeanneau's used plywood interiors tabbed to the hulls when
Bendytoes were well into bulkheads that snapped/glued into the liners.
I'd pick an older Jeanneau over an older Beneteau but I suspect
modern versions are much more similar to each other

Evan Gatehouse
Junior Member

Location: Malaysia

There are significant design and construction differences between the boats like: Jeanneau: conventional hull design with stringers, std engine installation with prop shaft. Beneteau: Hull with innerliner, sail drive propulsion system.
Beneteau seems to be a more of 'live onboard', Jeanneau more of 'sail the oceans'. Check out the load capacity! You may even read my 20.000 miles test of my SO 37 at
http://www.geocities.com/haffiman37

One year ago I purchased an Oceanis 461. I have sailed it from Seattle
up to Glacier Bay, Alaska and now down to Mexico. I have been very
pleased with the handling of the boat and general comforts of it. Had
I to do it again, I would purchase this boat, but I would add some
items like a spinaker and other nice to have toys.

The $30,000 is a lot, but it is not much if the boats are loaded
differently. Are the engines the same size, what electronics come with
them, sails, ect. You just want to make sure your are comparing boats
which are equipped similarily.

You might also think about purchasing a boat in the USA. With the
currency difference, you would get about 30% more for your money.

Mark Read
www.GoReads.com

Jeanneau 52.2 vs. Fountaine Pajot Belize [email protected] Cruising 15 January 13th 06 06:06 AM
Beneteau vs. Beneteau Capt. Rob ASA 0 January 4th 06 03:38 PM
Good advice - get rid of that Beneteau . . . Capt. Neal® ASA 0 November 3rd 05 12:31 AM
Group for Beneteau Capt. Rob Cruising 3 November 2nd 05 02:25 AM
Beneteau list [email protected] General 0 November 1st 05 03:24 PM