Cartmann

Default Beneteau vs. Jeanneau

I'm looking for a recommendation for a sailing boat.

I was thinking of a Beneteau Oceanis Clipper 393 (150k eur in Croatia with
elec. pack and bimini), or Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 39i (new model) - 120k eur.

Is it reasonable to pay 30k eur more for Beneteau Oceanis?

Thanks.

Dennis Pogson

Cartmann wrote:
I'm looking for a recommendation for a sailing boat.

I was thinking of a Beneteau Oceanis Clipper 393 (150k eur in Croatia
with elec. pack and bimini), or Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 39i (new model)
- 120k eur.

Is it reasonable to pay 30k eur more for Beneteau Oceanis?

Thanks.

Since they are both made by Groupe Beneteau, who own Jeanneau, perhaps you
should ask them.

Cartmann

"Dennis Pogson" je napisao u poruci
interesnoj ...

I was thinking of a Beneteau Oceanis Clipper 393 (150k eur in Croatia
with elec. pack and bimini), or Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 39i (new model)
- 120k eur.

Since they are both made by Groupe Beneteau, who own Jeanneau, perhaps you
should ask them.

Thnx, I didn't know that. Beneteau dealer says that "beneteau is brand name,
and jeanneau isn't", Jeanneau dealer says opposite.

Dennis Pogson

Cartmann wrote:
"Dennis Pogson" je napisao u poruci
interesnoj ...

I was thinking of a Beneteau Oceanis Clipper 393 (150k eur in
Croatia with elec. pack and bimini), or Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 39i
(new model) - 120k eur.

Since they are both made by Groupe Beneteau, who own Jeanneau,
perhaps you should ask them.

Thnx, I didn't know that. Beneteau dealer says that "beneteau is
brand name, and jeanneau isn't", Jeanneau dealer says opposite.

Beneteau once had the reputation of being rather better-built than Jeanneau,
but the market has become so confused, with nobody knowing who builds what
any more, that it's quite possible the position has been reversed.

Perhaps an in-depth inspection of the 2 boats would reveal hidden advantages
to one or the other, hopefully without a salesperson present?

Dennis.

DSK

Cartmann wrote:
Thnx, I didn't know that. Beneteau dealer says that "beneteau is brand name,
and jeanneau isn't", Jeanneau dealer says opposite.

Jeanneau has built some great boats such as the Sun Legend
(can't argue with Kevlar) and some of their catamarans are
quite well engineered & built (have to be or they come
apart). Beneteau has also built some undeniably good boats
including the Dynamique series.

But their "marque" boats are mass-produced under supervision
of bean-counters, so I doubt there's any serious difference
in quality. Arguing brand names is kind like pepsi vs coke.

OTOH close inspection of each individual boat will give you
the serious info you want to make a decision. For one thing,
the two are of fairly different design criteria... the Sun
Odyssey series are lighter, faster boats.

IMHO you'd do well to get a surveyor to go over the one your
seriously want, even if brand-new. Factories do make
mistakes as well as the occasional designed-in flaw that you
don't want to realize at sea.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Capt. JG

Cartmann wrote:
[...]

Coke is better for cleaning rust stains. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Cartmann

"DSK" je napisao u poruci interesnoj
.. .

IMHO you'd do well to get a surveyor to go over the one your seriously
want, even if brand-new. Factories do make mistakes as well as the
occasional designed-in flaw that you don't want to realize at sea.

Thank you Dennis and DSK.

I don't know English well, but I hope you understand me.

This is my first sailing boat, so I don't know what to look. I will use it
for family vacations and charter. Only thing that confuses me is price
difference because is not small, in Croatia Sun Odyssey is more than 30.000
Euro cheaper than Oceanis. So I try to find reason for that big difference
in price.

What would you buy, Beneteau Oceanis for $180.000 or Sun Odyssey for
$144.000 (both new)?

Thnx.

Cartmann

"Cartmann" je napisao u poruci interesnoj

Sorry for white space, a use MS word as a spelling and grammar checker,
evidently something happen with encoding.

Capt. JG

Capt. JG wrote:
Coke is better for cleaning rust stains. :-)

Plus, things go better with coke... all else being equal I assume this
means that the boat drinking coca-cola will be faster? Or maybe point
higher?

DSK

Maybe we should take the Pepsi Challenge.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Dennis Pogson

Capt. JG wrote:
Coke is better for cleaning rust stains. :-)

Plus, things go better with coke... all else being equal I assume
this means that the boat drinking coca-cola will be faster? Or maybe
point higher?

DSK

Maybe we should take the Pepsi Challenge.

I don't like reddish-brown boats.

Jeanneau 52.2 vs. Fountaine Pajot Belize [email protected] Cruising 15 January 13th 06 05:06 AM
Beneteau vs. Beneteau Capt. Rob ASA 0 January 4th 06 02:38 PM
Good advice - get rid of that Beneteau . . . Capt. Neal® ASA 0 November 2nd 05 11:31 PM
Group for Beneteau Capt. Rob Cruising 3 November 2nd 05 01:25 AM
Beneteau list [email protected] General 0 November 1st 05 02:24 PM