Capt. JG

Default Beneteau vs. Jeanneau

"DSK" wrote in message
I was thinking of a Beneteau Oceanis Clipper 393 (150k eur in Croatia
with elec. pack and bimini), or Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 39i (new model)
- 120k eur.

Since they are both made by Groupe Beneteau, who own Jeanneau, perhaps
you
should ask them.

Cartmann wrote:
Thnx, I didn't know that. Beneteau dealer says that "beneteau is brand
name, and jeanneau isn't", Jeanneau dealer says opposite.

Jeanneau has built some great boats such as the Sun Legend (can't argue
with Kevlar) and some of their catamarans are quite well engineered &
built (have to be or they come apart). Beneteau has also built some
undeniably good boats including the Dynamique series.

But their "marque" boats are mass-produced under supervision of
bean-counters, so I doubt there's any serious difference in quality.
Arguing brand names is kind like pepsi vs coke.

OTOH close inspection of each individual boat will give you the serious
info you want to make a decision. For one thing, the two are of fairly
different design criteria... the Sun Odyssey series are lighter, faster
boats.

IMHO you'd do well to get a surveyor to go over the one your seriously
want, even if brand-new. Factories do make mistakes as well as the
occasional designed-in flaw that you don't want to realize at sea.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Coke is better for cleaning rust stains. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com