DSK

Default Beneteau vs. Jeanneau

I was thinking of a Beneteau Oceanis Clipper 393 (150k eur in Croatia
with elec. pack and bimini), or Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 39i (new model)
- 120k eur.

Since they are both made by Groupe Beneteau, who own Jeanneau, perhaps you
should ask them.

Cartmann wrote:
Thnx, I didn't know that. Beneteau dealer says that "beneteau is brand name,
and jeanneau isn't", Jeanneau dealer says opposite.

Jeanneau has built some great boats such as the Sun Legend
(can't argue with Kevlar) and some of their catamarans are
quite well engineered & built (have to be or they come
apart). Beneteau has also built some undeniably good boats
including the Dynamique series.

But their "marque" boats are mass-produced under supervision
of bean-counters, so I doubt there's any serious difference
in quality. Arguing brand names is kind like pepsi vs coke.

OTOH close inspection of each individual boat will give you
the serious info you want to make a decision. For one thing,
the two are of fairly different design criteria... the Sun
Odyssey series are lighter, faster boats.

IMHO you'd do well to get a surveyor to go over the one your
seriously want, even if brand-new. Factories do make
mistakes as well as the occasional designed-in flaw that you
don't want to realize at sea.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King