Brian D. Lawrence

Default Lectra/San vs Purasan

I am looking for opinions. I sail normally in fresh water. About 4
or 5 weeks each year I am in brackish water. Once every 2 or 3 year I
am in salt water for 8 to 10 weeks.

I have been advised that the Raritan Purasan is a better choice for me
than the Lectra/San. I am curious how the Purasan performs. Also do
any problems develop when the raw water feed is salt water rather than
fresh. I intend to retain the holding tank.

Any experience or preference would be appreciated.

Regards

Brian
Peggie Hall

Brian D. Lawrence wrote:

I am looking for opinions. I sail normally in fresh water. About 4
or 5 weeks each year I am in brackish water. Once every 2 or 3 year I
am in salt water for 8 to 10 weeks.

I have been advised that the Raritan Purasan is a better choice for me
than the Lectra/San.

You got good advice. The PuraSan was designed for use in fresh water and
for use with toilets that use onboard pressurized flush water, but works
equally well when used with sea water.

You do need to keep an eye on the 14" line from the chlorine cartridge,
and clean it out periodically to prevent buildup of chlorine crystals
and sea water minerals. If you do that, you should have no problems with
the PuraSan in any waters, salt or fresh. The only people who do have
problems with it are those who don't maintain that line.

--
Peggie
----------
Brian Lawrence

I will supply the chlorine cartridge with onboard fresh water and
flush with raw water. Will that resolve the problem with buildup?

Thanks
Brian

Brian Lawrence wrote:

I will supply the chlorine cartridge with onboard fresh water and
flush with raw water. Will that resolve the problem with buildup?

No. And if you don't use the cartridge supplied with it, installed
according to directions, it won't be a legal Type I MSD any more either.
The CG is very picky about that. They certify devices based on what
the mfrs give 'em or specify for use with it. If an owner doesn't use
exactly what's supplied or specified, it's no long certified...'cuz
there's no test result proving that it still treats to legal standards.

In fact, if the only chlorine it gets is the amount used to purify your
onboard fresh water, it won't treat at all. Install, operate and
maintain it exactly according to directions, or don't install it at
all...'cuz unless it's installed, operated and maintained according to
directions, it won't work...and then you won't be happy 'cuz you'll have
odor problems or clogs or other problems. And then you'll come back here
and tell the next person who asks about the PuraSan that it's a piece of
junk.
--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/books...ku=90&cat=1304
Denny

OK, I give in.. ordered your book...

cheers ... denny

posted to rec.boats.cruising,[email protected]
Peggie Hall

Denny wrote:

OK, I give in.. ordered your book...

You didn't have to go THAT far...but I appreciate it.

Btw...you'll find at least one bit of obsolete info in my book (It's
obviously time for me to get to work on "2nd edition, revised")...one
that's important to you relates to the PuraSan.

At the time I wrote it 3 years ago, the PuraSan was only certified for
use with three Raritan toilets. That changed about a year ago...the
PuraSan is now certified for use with ALL toilets. So don't panic when
you read it...it doesn't matter what toilet you have, the PuraSan will
be legal.

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/books...ku=90&cat=1304
Brian Lawrence

OK I have settled on the PuraSan. Thanks for your advise.

Now if you will, another question. Currently my holding tanks
discharges thru a macerator and then overboard through the thru hull.
The thru hull is a 1" but everything I see in the Raritan literature
suggest that a 1 1/2" thru hull is required. Since the head to
PuraSan is 1" can I use 1" to the thru hull or do I have to up size
the current 1" to 1 1/2" ?

Brian Lawrence wrote:
Now if you will, another question. Currently my holding tanks
discharges thru a macerator and then overboard through the thru hull.
The thru hull is a 1" but everything I see in the Raritan literature
suggest that a 1 1/2" thru hull is required. Since the head to
PuraSan is 1" can I use 1" to the thru hull or do I have to up size
the current 1" to 1 1/2" ?

For the answer to that one, I'm gonna refer you to Raritan. Give Vic
Willman a call at 800-352-5630 x 6. Be sure you talk to him...they've
had some turnover in tech services recently...he's been there for over
30 years and knows all the workarounds.

--
Peggie