Roger Long

Default What gives with hose fittings?

I’d been warned that the gray hose fittings from hardware stores are
ridiculously oversize but I didn’t realize that the nylon ones from
the marine store are also until after a lot of sweating and cussing.
Even after working the hose onto a heated (gently) pipe of the same
diameter to stretch it, getting the hose on the nylon nipples was at
the limit of feasibility.

Does anyone know the genesis or rational for this crazy situation? Why
can’t the nation the put a man on the moon produce hose fittings that
fit hose?

--

Roger Long

MMC

Roger,
After I wrestled (with a lot of cussing, and the application of various
lubricants for the hose and me) with sanitation hose for years, a friend
shared his recipe for this. I now heat a pot of water to a boil, and dip the
end of the hose in the water, leaving it for just a few seconds. The hose
softens enough to slide all the way on and once it cools, is there to stay
and I've never experience any degradation to the hose caused by this
procedure. You might want to experiment with different in water wait times.
MMC

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I'd been warned that the gray hose fittings from hardware stores are
ridiculously oversize but I didn't realize that the nylon ones from
the marine store are also until after a lot of sweating and cussing.
Even after working the hose onto a heated (gently) pipe of the same
diameter to stretch it, getting the hose on the nylon nipples was at
the limit of feasibility.

Does anyone know the genesis or rational for this crazy situation? Why
can't the nation the put a man on the moon produce hose fittings that
fit hose?

--

Roger Long

Roger Long

I did that and followed up with heat from a hair dryer as I continued
to struggle with it. The diameter of the barbs on the fittings is 1
1/16" and the I.D. of the hose us a hair under 1". Lots of lube as
well.

I did learn one useful thing while sweating the hose on and off of the
heated steel pipe nipple to stretch it. If you twist the hose one
way, it gets smaller and tighter. Twist it the other way and it gets
larger. I'm using Shields VAC XHD Series 148 for now. Odor isn't as
much of a problem in our cold climate and I flush the system often.
If it goes bad, I'll replace it with Aussiegold down the road.

BTW the Marlon fittings fit this hose perfectly but the right ones
weren't in stock. If I had any idea what a struggle this would be, I
would have waited until I could order Marlon for everything.

--

Roger Long

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I'd been warned that the gray hose fittings from hardware stores
are
ridiculously oversize but I didn't realize that the nylon ones from
the marine store are also until after a lot of sweating and
cussing.
Even after working the hose onto a heated (gently) pipe of the same
diameter to stretch it, getting the hose on the nylon nipples was
at
the limit of feasibility.

Does anyone know the genesis or rational for this crazy situation?
Why
can't the nation the put a man on the moon produce hose fittings
that
fit hose?

--

Roger Long

Glenn Ashmore

K-Y has a lot of interesting uses. :-) I keep a couple of tubes around for
fitting hose. Always gets odd looks from the visitors. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I'd been warned that the gray hose fittings from hardware stores are
ridiculously oversize but I didn't realize that the nylon ones from the
marine store are also until after a lot of sweating and cussing. Even
after working the hose onto a heated (gently) pipe of the same diameter to
stretch it, getting the hose on the nylon nipples was at the limit of
feasibility.

Does anyone know the genesis or rational for this crazy situation? Why
can't the nation the put a man on the moon produce hose fittings that fit
hose?

--

Roger Long

Larry

"MMC" wrote in news:Lr8Gf.3455$_c.2206
@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

You might want to experiment with different in water wait times.
MMC

A long thread will now ensue with charts and graphs on user webpages after
the extensive testing phase, in realtime. Then, of course, a branch will
take off whether alcohol or propane stoves are best for this boiling,
ending in a big flamewar with threats and cursing, causing local doctors to
smile as BPs go through the roof.

Carry on.....

Larry

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in news:BN9Gf.23304$Dh.7896
@dukeread04:

I keep a couple of tubes around for
fitting hose.

Oh, sure.....(c;

We believe ya, Glenn....

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long

If it goes bad, I'll replace it with Aussiegold down the road.
No you won't. It looks like they're not going to make it any more. :-(
__________________
Capt. Bill
Wayne.B

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 20:12:24 -0500, Larry wrote:

a branch will
take off whether alcohol or propane stoves are best for this boiling

Nonsense.

Everyone knows that electric stoves boil better.

All kidding aside I've always had good luck with the boiling water
trick. Start with a few seconds and work your way up.

Of course when it's time to remove the hose from the fitting, don't
even bother to waste your time. This is what utility knives are made
for.

Evan Gatehouse

Roger Long wrote:
I’d been warned that the gray hose fittings from hardware stores are
ridiculously oversize but I didn’t realize that the nylon ones from
the marine store are also until after a lot of sweating and cussing.
Even after working the hose onto a heated (gently) pipe of the same
diameter to stretch it, getting the hose on the nylon nipples was at
the limit of feasibility.

Does anyone know the genesis or rational for this crazy situation? Why
can’t the nation the put a man on the moon produce hose fittings that
fit hose?

Crazy isn't it? For smaller PVC water hoses I use 5/8" hose and 1/2"
fittings. Fit very well.

Evan Gatehouse