Larry

Default What gives with hose fittings?

Wayne.B wrote in
:

Start with a few seconds and work your way up.

Sounds extremely painful to me....(c;

Rhys

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 18:10:17 -0500, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

K-Y has a lot of interesting uses. :-) I keep a couple of tubes around for
fitting hose. Always gets odd looks from the visitors. :-)

Well, it's alleged to be a lonely life at sea.

R.

Roger Long

Shields smooth is what I was using. The bottom line is to use only
Marlon fittings which slip in like machined metal parts. Gray PVC and
nylon are both a disaster. I did everything that was recommended
here, boiling water, heat gun, lube, prestretching, and could barely
get the hose on the nylon when the fitting were clamped in a vice and
I could lean my whole body into it.

I'm replacing the barbs for the final in-place connections with
Marlon. I couldn't get Marlon for the Tee's and reducers I needed.
This hassle has been my punishment for trying to maintain a consistent
look to fittings that are hidden from view and wanting to get this
project wrapped up before snow buries the boat again.

--

Roger Long

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
101 sanitation hose is the absolute worst to get on a barb. I
finally found Shields smooth sanitation hose fittings and they are
almost easy. No heat or grease needed.

--
Glenn Ashmore

I'm building a 45' cutter in strip/composite. Watch my progress (or
lack there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I'd been warned that the gray hose fittings from hardware stores
are ridiculously oversize but I didn't realize that the nylon ones
from the marine store are also until after a lot of sweating and
cussing. Even after working the hose onto a heated (gently) pipe of
the same diameter to stretch it, getting the hose on the nylon
nipples was at the limit of feasibility.

Does anyone know the genesis or rational for this crazy situation?
Why can't the nation the put a man on the moon produce hose
fittings that fit hose?

--

Roger Long

Peggie Hall

Larry wrote:

I keep a couple of tubes around for
fitting hose.

Oh, sure.....(c;

We believe ya, Glenn....

Larry, grow up.

K-Y Surgical jelly happens to be the best hose/fitting lubricant on the
planet...MUCH more slippery than dishwashing liquid--which is the only
other alternative, and also water soluble...so it dries out instead
leaving you with permanently greasy fitting a hose can work off of.

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall

Wayne.B wrote:
All kidding aside I've always had good luck with the boiling water
trick. Start with a few seconds and work your way up.

I've always preferred a blow dryer to boiling water. No danger of
scalding yourself if you spill it, and a blow dryer doesn't cool off
before it can soften a really stiff hose.

Of course when it's time to remove the hose from the fitting, don't
even bother to waste your time. This is what utility knives are made
for.

And blow dryers. Heat will not only soften the hose, but also any
sealant used by a misguided PO or builder...much easier than a knife.

I kept a cheap 1000w foldup travel model in my toolbox just for this
purpose.

--
Peggie
----------

Evan Gatehouse wrote:
Does anyone know the genesis or rational for this crazy situation? Why
can’t the nation the put a man on the moon produce hose fittings that
fit hose?

Crazy isn't it? For smaller PVC water hoses I use 5/8" hose and 1/2"
fittings. Fit very well.

The only problems are with 1.5" fittings. For some arcane reason,
plumbing indstry standards call for nominal 1.5 thread x 1.5 barb is
ACTUAL 1.5" OD on the threaded end, 1.5" ID on the barbed end. But ONLY
for 1.5"...all other sizes are OD measurements on both ends. I've never
beend able to find out why.

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/books...ku=90&cat=1304

Larry

Peggie Hall wrote in news:rvrGf.10213$2O6.3462
@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

Larry, grow up.

What? NEVAH!

Larry

"bushman" wrote in news:jQsGf.20011$g47.2305
@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

"second only to nature"

Hey! I got an idea.....No, wait, she'd never go for it...