Cindy Ballreich

Default question for peggie - hose fittings

Peggie,

I seem to remember that some time ago you mentioned a source for "elbow"
fittings for 1.5" sanitation hose with a smooth, easy radius instead of
a sharp 90 degree turn. The new design of our head plumbing is going to
require some elbow fittings. Is the sharp radius something that I should
be concerned about and, if so, would you mind providing a link to your
recommended source?

Thanks

Cindy

--
The email address above is a spam trap. Don't expect a response.
Reach me using firstname at lastname dot net
Peggie Hall

Cindy Ballreich wrote:
I seem to remember that some time ago you mentioned a source for "elbow"
fittings for 1.5" sanitation hose with a smooth, easy radius instead of
a sharp 90 degree turn. The new design of our head plumbing is going to
require some elbow fittings. Is the sharp radius something that I should
be concerned about and, if so, would you mind providing a link to your
recommended source?

Cindy, Unless there are a lot of 'em, I don't see a problem with using
elbows. However, if you feel you'd be better off with radius fittings,
SeaLand has 'em...you'll find 'em all he
http://www.sealandtechnology.com/pro...ges.asp?pid=66 (scroll down
the bottom of the page for line drawing illustrations).

It's not obvious from the drawings that all these "kits" are made up of
components that are PVC cemented together. For instance the 90 radius
"kit" # 307230311 is actually 3 pieces--the radius #307341161 + 2 hose
adapters # 307341513.

However, you can get every part EXCEPT the hose adapters from just about
any hardware store that has a decent plumbing department for about 1/3
SeaLand's price...all the radii, wyes and tees are standard PVC plumbing
pieces. So the only thing I'd order from SeaLand are hose
adapters...you'll need two for each fitting.
--
Peggie
----------
Terry Spragg

Peggie Hall wrote:
Cindy Ballreich wrote:

[...]

Smooth bore radius curved elbows can more easily be snaked out. Make
your own endoscope from garden hose!

If you are going to shop for plumbing at a builder's supply, I
suggest looking for certified approved Mechanical Joint (MJ) elbows.
They are smooth radius, and include single hose clamps, or
possibly double, if you shop enough, I guess. I have used several,
here and there. Some may be cheap knock offs, and some clamps may
not be all stainless. The ones I have used at home and in the boat
are near indestructible flexible rubber and properly installed,
provide a smooth interior bore, overall. Caution. UL seals can be
counterfeited, too.

I Don't have intimate knowlege of all the hoses in the world, so
cannot know if your hose needs adapters. The MJs I have used clam
pretty tight to round pipe and hose as well as oval, indenting
themselves into what I consider to be trustworthy connections even
without glue, and easy to use and dissassemble for maintenance. I
prefer hose clamps with hex head screw tensioners. Inspect regularly.

Pun intentional, couldn't resist. Guilty. Desolé.

I tried to pull such a joint apart, and could not. I was gonna hook
it up the the bumper hitch and try, but decided it was pointless.
Besides, the truck wouldn't fit in the freight elevator on the boat.

Your risk! Vigilance! Reef early! Poland forever!

Terry K

Cindy Ballreich

Peggie Hall wrote:
Cindy, Unless there are a lot of 'em, I don't see a problem with using
elbows.

What do you consider "a lot of 'em"?

I think the most we're likely to have is four in a series including the
90 degree turn in the Whale diverter valve. Space is a huge issue for us
and the more compact the plumbing can be the better so elbows are
attractive. My concern is extra work for the pump (the larger Guzzler),
and places for waste to accumulate. When we bought the boat, the head
plumbing was like a medical model of sclerosis and we don't want that to
happen again. We're big fans of rinsing the system as often as possible
(usually with salt water) and the "temporary" fix (three years old now)
seems to be pretty clean. Now that other projects are out of the way,
we'd like to build a more permanent plumbing solution.

Thanks so much for all your help!!

Cindy

Cindy Ballreich wrote:

Peggie Hall wrote:

Cindy, Unless there are a lot of 'em, I don't see a problem with using
elbows.

What do you consider "a lot of 'em"?

4 in a relatively short run would qualify. Only one at each end
wouldn't. However, since you're religious about rinsing out the system
and you say space is tight and "sweeps" (radius fittings) need at least
twice as much space as elbows, I think you'll be ok with elbows if you
continue to remain religious about rinsing.

--
Peggie