Evan Gatehouse

Default What gives with hose fittings?

Roger Long wrote:
I’d been warned that the gray hose fittings from hardware stores are
ridiculously oversize but I didn’t realize that the nylon ones from
the marine store are also until after a lot of sweating and cussing.
Even after working the hose onto a heated (gently) pipe of the same
diameter to stretch it, getting the hose on the nylon nipples was at
the limit of feasibility.

Does anyone know the genesis or rational for this crazy situation? Why
can’t the nation the put a man on the moon produce hose fittings that
fit hose?

Crazy isn't it? For smaller PVC water hoses I use 5/8" hose and 1/2"
fittings. Fit very well.

Evan Gatehouse