Thomas Wentworth

Default dingy question

Just looked at a 32' old full keel boat. I really liked the boat, it needs
work but it is the usual paint, etc.

Then I got to thinking ???? Where would I put my dingy when I go off
cruising. I would think that it would be in the way on deck.

Any thoughts? Do the rubber ones deflate and inflate easily?

Mike

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 17:33:55 GMT, "Thomas Wentworth"
wrote:

Just looked at a 32' old full keel boat. I really liked the boat, it needs
work but it is the usual paint, etc.

Then I got to thinking ???? Where would I put my dingy when I go off
cruising. I would think that it would be in the way on deck.

Any thoughts? Do the rubber ones deflate and inflate easily?

You might consider an inflatable tender - they deflate and inflate
easily and can be stowed on deck if space is really limited. You will
need it if you anchor and want to avoid marinas, or end up on a
pontoon with no shore connections.
Martin-Paul Broennimann

Try the folding boats. real interesting.

http://www.porta-bote.com/

--
Martin-Paul Broennimann
architecte et urbaniste SIA/FSU

14, rue du Diorama
CH 1204 Genève Switzerland
0041 78 627 29 67

arrêt TPG place du Cirque
parking Hôtel des Finances

visit our website= www.broennimann.com

"Thomas Wentworth" a écrit dans le message de news:
7YSvf.510$ID1.371@trndny01...
Just looked at a 32' old full keel boat. I really liked the boat, it
needs work but it is the usual paint, etc.

Then I got to thinking ???? Where would I put my dingy when I go off
cruising. I would think that it would be in the way on deck.

Any thoughts? Do the rubber ones deflate and inflate easily?

Armond Perretta

Thomas Wentworth wrote:
Just looked at a 32' old full keel boat. I really liked the boat, it
needs work but it is the usual paint, etc.

Then I got to thinking ???? Where would I put my dingy when I go off
cruising. I would think that it would be in the way on deck.

Many old boats are indeed dingy. A little paint and elbow grease does
wonders, but once you've finished fitting her out she won't any longer be
dingy, so you won't have to worry.

Now where to stow the dingHy is an entirely different issue.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Roger Long

Try it on the foredeck with the transom on the cabin top. Our 8 foot
dinghy fits quite well up there and I can get it aboard and launched
with the spinnaker halyard and the help of one kid. There is still
room to walk around it to the bow and it doesn't interfere with
sailing at all.

You can see the boat he

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Boat.htm

and the dinghy he

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Boat20.htm#Dinghy

for comparison with your boat.

Most of the time, we tow it. Inflatables don't tow well. I would
rather unlash and launch our solid dink occasionally than pump up;
deflate; and stow an inflatable every time. The solid dink also rows
better which
we prefer to dealing with an outboard, gas storage, etc.

If you ever have a fire or sudden sinking, a solid dinghy will also be
a lot more useful than an inflatable folded up in a deck locker.

--

Roger Long

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in message
Just looked at a 32' old full keel boat. I really liked the boat,
it needs work but it is the usual paint, etc.

Then I got to thinking ???? Where would I put my dingy when I go
off cruising. I would think that it would be in the way on deck.

Any thoughts? Do the rubber ones deflate and inflate easily?

Roger Long

Dave" wrote

I figure it must have been slowing us by at least half a knot.

From the perspective of one who occasionally has to consider speed and
resistance of boats professionally, I really doubt that the dinghy is
costing you half a knot, at least not on the 32 foot size boats
considered in this thread. I've also pulled them in on long painters
and then let them go to see of the speed bumps up. Not that I've ever
been able to detect before the rope runs out anyway. I admit though,
I still can't get it out of my head that we are going slower

--

Roger Long

Wayne.B

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 23:23:44 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

From the perspective of one who occasionally has to consider speed and
resistance of boats professionally, I really doubt that the dinghy is
costing you half a knot, at least not on the 32 foot size boats
considered in this thread.

I did some testing on my old Cal-34. Speed loss depended a lot on
wind speed, point of sail and towing method. Half a knot is quite
plausible going to windward in light air, much less likely in 20 kts
of wind on a broad reach. We found that the most efficient towing
with our inflatable was with the bow elevated very close to the
transom. Also keep the dinghy as light as possible when towing.

Roger Long

"Wayne.B" wrote

Half a knot is quite plausible going to windward in light air.

Does anybody do actually do that without the engine running?

I would have an inflatable myself if there wasn't a way to carry it on
deck for times like that or when the psychological effect of 1/8 knot
on a long beat feels burdensome out of proportion to the actual time
lost.

--

Roger Long

Wayne.B

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 02:39:49 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

I would have an inflatable myself if there wasn't a way to carry it on
deck for times like that or when the psychological effect of 1/8 knot
on a long beat feels burdensome out of proportion to the actual time
lost.

When racing a sailboat, 1/8th of a knot feels like a 100 mph speed
difference. We used to participate in a lot of race/cruise events
where we needed the dinghy at night. If we couldn't get someone not
racing to tow it for us, we would deflate it and roll it up every
morning. That's a major pain of course but there was no way to race
competetively while towing.

In order to get the boat to a competetive level in the first place, we
went to fanatical lengths to reduce drag. The bottom paint was wet
sanded with 220 and 400 grit paper to a mirror finish, through hull
discharge fittings were faired smooth to the hull and covered with
mylar flaps, etc. It may sound extreme but it really makes a
difference in light air. 1/10th of a knot in boat speed equates to
about 12 seconds per mile and most serious racers would kill for a 3
seconds per mile advantage,

Jack Dale

wrote:

Just looked at a 32' old full keel boat. I really liked the boat, it needs
work but it is the usual paint, etc.

Then I got to thinking ???? Where would I put my dingy when I go off
cruising. I would think that it would be in the way on deck.

Any thoughts? Do the rubber ones deflate and inflate easily?

A rigid dinghy is much easier to row. At night they may bang against
the hull.

An dinghy that deflates in very hard to row and may not take an
engine.

I have seen dinghies that deflate, have a folding plywood floor and
can take a small engine.

A inflatable dinghy with a rigid bottom will probably require an
engine. At night they make less noise that a rigid.

Towing does work, but does knock off some speed. You have keep the
dinghy and your boat in tune with the waves. USE A FLOATING PAINTER.
(emphasis added).

The foredeck is an option. A baby sray will get in the way. Size the
dinghy to fit and use a halyard to lower it and bring it back on deck.

Inder boom might work. Boom vangs and travellers may get in the way,
but on an old full keel boat, may be an issue.

You might be able to add davits to the stern. That presents its own
problems with wind vanes, boarding ladders, etc..

There is no easy solution and lots of opinions.

For cruising, I would go with towing a inflatable with a rigid bottom
amd a small engine. Under way, I would keep the engine on the stern
rail.

My 2 cents.

Jack

Jack Dale
ISPA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor
CYA Advanced Cruising Instructor
http://www.swiftsuresailing.com

Next question ;;;;;; is that your final answer ?? Thomas Wentworth Boat Building 6 December 23rd 05 09:10 PM
A question of concern Peter HK General 24 December 20th 05 07:15 AM
A question of concern Capt. JG ASA 0 December 17th 05 03:55 PM
Mercruiser outdrive question John Chaplain General 3 October 23rd 05 05:50 PM
Newbie Question: 40' Performance Cruiser question (including powerplant) charliekilo Cruising 19 October 19th 05 02:30 PM