Jack Dale

Default dingy question

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 17:33:55 GMT, "Thomas Wentworth"
wrote:

Just looked at a 32' old full keel boat. I really liked the boat, it needs
work but it is the usual paint, etc.

Then I got to thinking ???? Where would I put my dingy when I go off
cruising. I would think that it would be in the way on deck.

Any thoughts? Do the rubber ones deflate and inflate easily?

A rigid dinghy is much easier to row. At night they may bang against
the hull.

An dinghy that deflates in very hard to row and may not take an
engine.

I have seen dinghies that deflate, have a folding plywood floor and
can take a small engine.

A inflatable dinghy with a rigid bottom will probably require an
engine. At night they make less noise that a rigid.

Towing does work, but does knock off some speed. You have keep the
dinghy and your boat in tune with the waves. USE A FLOATING PAINTER.
(emphasis added).

The foredeck is an option. A baby sray will get in the way. Size the
dinghy to fit and use a halyard to lower it and bring it back on deck.

Inder boom might work. Boom vangs and travellers may get in the way,
but on an old full keel boat, may be an issue.

You might be able to add davits to the stern. That presents its own
problems with wind vanes, boarding ladders, etc..

There is no easy solution and lots of opinions.

For cruising, I would go with towing a inflatable with a rigid bottom
amd a small engine. Under way, I would keep the engine on the stern
rail.

My 2 cents.

Jack

Jack Dale