Denis Marier

Default Which boat is most likely to capsize ?

The Angle of vanishing stability,Ballast/displacement and
the Capsize screening ratio are useful in choosing a sailboat.

However, I would not take all these calculated ratio's for granted.
How can you validate these ratio's. The best thing is to corroborate the
designs in real situation. This is very difficult to accomplish. How can
you duplicate a real situation.
Computer simulations can be helpful to validate your design to a certain
extent but never at 100%. Sea trials, track records and past performance in
all imaginable conditions can be very useful to corroborate computer
simulations and to confirm applicable ratio's.

wrote in message
. net...

wrote:

TAYANA VANCOUVER 460 PILOT
Angle of vanishing stability = 110 degrees
Ballast/displacement = 0.24
Capsize screening ratio = 1.57

BENETEAU 473
Angle of vanishing stability = 119 degrees
Ballast/displacement = 0.34
Capsize screening ratio = 1.96

CATALINA 42 MARK II
Angle of vanishing stability = 105 degrees
Ballast/displacement = 0.39
Capsize screening ratio = 1.97

ETAP 46DS (standard deep keel)
Angle of vanishing stability = 129 degrees
Ballast/displacement ratio = 0.32
Capsize screening ratio = 1.92

Maybe I'll just get a Tayana for now and get an unsinkable
ETAP later when I have more money and want to sail across
an ocean :-)

I'm waiting for Robert Harris, the designer of the Tayana
Vancouver 460, to explain to me why I shouldn't be too
concerned about the stability of this boat and will let you
know what he has to say.

If you still think I'm a troll just call the Tayana and Beneteau
dealers in San Diego and ask if Popeye has come to see them.
Danny

wrote in message
.net...

I'm waiting for Robert Harris, the designer of the Tayana
Vancouver 460, to explain to me why I shouldn't be too
concerned about the stability of this boat and will let you
know what he has to say.

If you still think I'm a troll just call the Tayana and Beneteau
dealers in San Diego and ask if Popeye has come to see them.

You've got heart and grit Popeye. I suspect you'll do fine. Keep at it.

Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 01:23 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM