Denis Marier

Default Which boat is most likely to capsize ?

The Angle of vanishing stability,Ballast/displacement and
the Capsize screening ratio are useful in choosing a sailboat.

However, I would not take all these calculated ratio's for granted.
How can you validate these ratio's. The best thing is to corroborate the
designs in real situation. This is very difficult to accomplish. How can
you duplicate a real situation.
Computer simulations can be helpful to validate your design to a certain
extent but never at 100%. Sea trials, track records and past performance in
all imaginable conditions can be very useful to corroborate computer
simulations and to confirm applicable ratio's.

wrote in message
. net...

wrote:

TAYANA VANCOUVER 460 PILOT
Angle of vanishing stability = 110 degrees
Ballast/displacement = 0.24
Capsize screening ratio = 1.57

BENETEAU 473
Angle of vanishing stability = 119 degrees
Ballast/displacement = 0.34
Capsize screening ratio = 1.96

CATALINA 42 MARK II
Angle of vanishing stability = 105 degrees
Ballast/displacement = 0.39
Capsize screening ratio = 1.97

ETAP 46DS (standard deep keel)
Angle of vanishing stability = 129 degrees
Ballast/displacement ratio = 0.32
Capsize screening ratio = 1.92

Maybe I'll just get a Tayana for now and get an unsinkable
ETAP later when I have more money and want to sail across
an ocean :-)