Default Which boat is most likely to capsize ?

Gary wrote:
wrote:
TAYANA VANCOUVER 460 PILOT
Angle of vanishing stability = 110 degrees
Ballast/displacement = 0.24
Capsize screening ratio = 1.57

BENETEAU 473
Angle of vanishing stability = 119 degrees
Ballast/displacement = 0.34
Capsize screening ratio = 1.96

CATALINA 42 MARK II
Angle of vanishing stability = 105 degrees
Ballast/displacement = 0.39
Capsize screening ratio = 1.97

The Beneteau and the Catalina have higher CSR making
them more likely to capsize. 2 is the upper limit for
an offshore boat.

The AVS for all these boat sucks. The Catalina and
Tayana can barely go below horizontal! Not good or
not right! Tayana claims a much better AVS than this.

Gaz

Check out: http://www.image-ination.com/sailcalc.html
Calculate this stuff yourself.

Thanks Gary.

The AVS value of 110 degrees for Tayana Vancouver 460
was given to me by Tayana along with the report shown on
my web page at http://tayana46.tripod.com/safety.htm.

Looking at the curve at the bottom of this web page
wouldn't you say that this is the correct value ?

The AVS numbers for the Beneteau 473 and Catalina 42
mark II were taken from:

http://www.rya.org.uk/images/uploade...e_10_11_05.pdf

"Danny" wrote:
Did the Tayana dealer prepare you for the 12-24 month wait for construction
on a new one? And the unbelievable cost to rig one once it's delivered? ( I
worked on a new 46 two years ago)

As far as capsizing: Unless you plan to start sailing soon, and then take
many lessons, practice on countless trips for a few years and learn to
master each and every one of the mechanical systems aboard before rounding
one of the Capes, you'll face far worse and more probable problems than
capsizing.

And, as your best friend, I would gladly pay you on Tuesday for the George
Forman grill upgrade today on this baby. Burgers and beers in the tropics!
Yum!

Fair Winds and calm sea,
Whimpie

Thanks Whimpie

The boat is almost done and I've already seen several pictures taken at
the factory. Both the dealer and the Tayana engineer I talked to told me
that it's just going to take about 2 more months.

I can ask the dealer if the rigging cost is included in the selling price.

I don't plan on crossing any ocean until 2007 or later :-)
d parker

Does it matter? Are you actually planning on sailing out of the bay or
river you live on? Most yacht owners day sail or spend a week in sheltered
bays and never put to sea. My guess is you will be doing the same. All that
is left is Rhetoric.

DP
wrote in message
k.net...

TAYANA VANCOUVER 460 PILOT
Angle of vanishing stability = 110 degrees
Ballast/displacement = 0.24
Capsize screening ratio = 1.57

BENETEAU 473
Angle of vanishing stability = 119 degrees
Ballast/displacement = 0.34
Capsize screening ratio = 1.96

CATALINA 42 MARK II
Angle of vanishing stability = 105 degrees
Ballast/displacement = 0.39
Capsize screening ratio = 1.97

Danny,

Unfortunatly I am periously close to Poopie (love the spelling.) Last
year I bought a bunch of land in Nova Scotia, a 20 year old 33' custom
steel cutter, and moved one to the other. Never sailed before but lots
of time on stink pots. Anyway I got there, after about a week. A
little over 400 miles, on the chart.

I think you are right that he is trolling for amusement. But it IS
amusing. Not only his posts but the dead serious answers intermixed
with the others who have "outed" him.

And, you gotta admit, he must have the hide of a rhino. Or is it
brain. Either way, for now he does make me laugh, if only at myself.

Howard

Denis Marier

The Angle of vanishing stability,Ballast/displacement and
the Capsize screening ratio are useful in choosing a sailboat.

However, I would not take all these calculated ratio's for granted.
How can you validate these ratio's. The best thing is to corroborate the
designs in real situation. This is very difficult to accomplish. How can
you duplicate a real situation.
Computer simulations can be helpful to validate your design to a certain
extent but never at 100%. Sea trials, track records and past performance in
all imaginable conditions can be very useful to corroborate computer
simulations and to confirm applicable ratio's.

wrote in message
. net...

wrote:

TAYANA VANCOUVER 460 PILOT
Angle of vanishing stability = 110 degrees
Ballast/displacement = 0.24
Capsize screening ratio = 1.57

BENETEAU 473
Angle of vanishing stability = 119 degrees
Ballast/displacement = 0.34
Capsize screening ratio = 1.96

CATALINA 42 MARK II
Angle of vanishing stability = 105 degrees
Ballast/displacement = 0.39
Capsize screening ratio = 1.97

ETAP 46DS (standard deep keel)
Angle of vanishing stability = 129 degrees
Ballast/displacement ratio = 0.32
Capsize screening ratio = 1.92

Maybe I'll just get a Tayana for now and get an unsinkable
ETAP later when I have more money and want to sail across
an ocean :-)

prodigal1

Jeff wrote:
The one with the least experienced skipper.

DING! We have a winner folks!
Thread's over
Move on folks, there's nothing left to see
Danny

wrote in message
oups.com...
Danny,

Unfortunatly I am periously close to Poopie (love the spelling.) Last
year I bought a bunch of land in Nova Scotia, a 20 year old 33' custom
steel cutter, and moved one to the other. Never sailed before but lots
of time on stink pots. Anyway I got there, after about a week. A
little over 400 miles, on the chart.

I think you are right that he is trolling for amusement. But it IS
amusing. Not only his posts but the dead serious answers intermixed
with the others who have "outed" him.

And, you gotta admit, he must have the hide of a rhino. Or is it
brain. Either way, for now he does make me laugh, if only at myself.

Howard

Howard:

You and I are tracking. It is indeed amusing and the answers have been
informative. It's a good group.

How's the sailing in NS in the winter? My brother in-law lives in Portland,
Maine. The combination of the ridiculous fog and the rocky shore make the
case for your steel hull.
Danny

Danny

wrote in message
oups.com...
Danny,

Unfortunatly I am perilously close to Poopie (love the spelling.) Last

Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 01:23 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM