Default Which boat is most likely to capsize ?

TAYANA VANCOUVER 460 PILOT
Angle of vanishing stability = 110 degrees
Ballast/displacement = 0.24
Capsize screening ratio = 1.57

BENETEAU 473
Angle of vanishing stability = 119 degrees
Ballast/displacement = 0.34
Capsize screening ratio = 1.96

CATALINA 42 MARK II
Angle of vanishing stability = 105 degrees
Ballast/displacement = 0.39
Capsize screening ratio = 1.97
Glenn Ashmore

Based on those numbers (which are highly theoretical);
The Tayana will be a bit have a more comfortable motion but most possible of
capsize and slower to recover.
The Catalina will be stiffer and harder to turn over, may turn turtle in a
major knock down but faster to recover.
The Beneteau will be between on comfort and can handle a more severe knock
down but will recover slower than the Catalina and faster than the Tayana.

You need to get over the buy now fever and invest in a few books. .

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

wrote in message
k.net...

TAYANA VANCOUVER 460 PILOT
Angle of vanishing stability = 110 degrees
Ballast/displacement = 0.24
Capsize screening ratio = 1.57

BENETEAU 473
Angle of vanishing stability = 119 degrees
Ballast/displacement = 0.34
Capsize screening ratio = 1.96

CATALINA 42 MARK II
Angle of vanishing stability = 105 degrees
Ballast/displacement = 0.39
Capsize screening ratio = 1.97

Wayne.B

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 18:24:41 -0500, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

You need to get over the buy now fever and invest in a few books.

========================

Good advice.

You should also take a look around at what other boats people are
doing serious cruising in.

The boat most likely to capsize is the one that has been put into a
situation where it doesn't belong, and shouldn't have been taken. Go
to a place where serious cruisers hang out and get to know some of
them. You will learn a lot if you listen.

Gary

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Based on those numbers (which are highly theoretical);
The Tayana will be a bit have a more comfortable motion but most possible of
capsize and slower to recover.
The Catalina will be stiffer and harder to turn over, may turn turtle in a
major knock down but faster to recover.
The Beneteau will be between on comfort and can handle a more severe knock
down but will recover slower than the Catalina and faster than the Tayana.

You need to get over the buy now fever and invest in a few books. .

Boy are you out to lunch.

The Tayana is most stable indicated by the capsize factor. (The lower
the better) The Catalina is least stable.

There are no comfort figures here but the can be worked out at:
http://www.image-ination.com/sailcalc.html
http://www.sailingusa.info/design_winds.htm

I think the Tayana with the pilothouse will recover very fast.

Gaz
Danny

wrote in message
k.net...

TAYANA VANCOUVER 460 PILOT
Angle of vanishing stability = 110 degrees
Ballast/displacement = 0.24
Capsize screening ratio = 1.57

BENETEAU 473
Angle of vanishing stability = 119 degrees
Ballast/displacement = 0.34
Capsize screening ratio = 1.96

CATALINA 42 MARK II
Angle of vanishing stability = 105 degrees
Ballast/displacement = 0.39
Capsize screening ratio = 1.97

Poopie:

Did the Tayana dealer prepare you for the 12-24 month wait for construction
on a new one? And the unbelievable cost to rig one once it's delivered? ( I
worked on a new 46 two years ago)

As far as capsizing: Unless you plan to start sailing soon, and then take
many lessons, practice on countless trips for a few years and learn to
master each and every one of the mechanical systems aboard before rounding
one of the Capes, you'll face far worse and more probable problems than
capsizing.

And, as your best friend, I would gladly pay you on Tuesday for the George
Forman grill upgrade today on this baby. Burgers and beers in the tropics!
Yum!

Fair Winds and calm sea,

Whimpie

Gary

Danny wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

You guys make it all sound so difficult. Buy one Popeye. Your new
sailing friends will be coming out of the woodwork.
Danny

"Gary" wrote in message
Danny wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like naiveté speaking. Sail any distance and you'll feel the same way
as my last response. I only have 20,000 miles under my keel but I tell you
that I'm not overstating the concern. This guy, if he's half serious,
doesn't know enough to pull a dingy off the dock. These are newbie questions
that belie a total lack of essential knowledge. First and foremost, he asks
total strangers for advice! At least join a sailing club and ask guys you
know!

Crossing an ocean IS difficult. But then this is all a fools wag. Poopie is
a mere troll stirring up discussion for amusement.

Larry

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in news_3lf.3909$fz5.168
@dukeread04:

You need to get over the buy now fever and invest in a few books. .

I must admit he must be connected to a GREAT broker who's got him really
fired up!

Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 01:23 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM