RCE

Default 500w self-starting DC generator anyone?

"Chuck Cox" wrote in message
Wayne.B wrote:

You will not believe the weird things that some people will try to do
with a unit like this and then expect it to keep on ticking. Just for
openers I would be prepared for a number of accidental reverse
polarity incidents. Then you've got the folks who will try to use it
indoors with the usual result, followed by the accidental muffler
burns, fires, salt water immersion, etc.

I know, that is what worries me most about this product. Since it
incorporates a microcontroller, we intend to record diagnostic events, so
hopefully we can detect abuse. We will certainly incorporate automatic
protection for reversed polarity, shorts, over-voltage, over-current,
over-temperature, etc, etc. If we want to sell in California I think we
have to add a warning that it isn't safe to eat.

I once attended a symposium where a ladder manufacturer explained the
stupid user actions behind each warning sticker. I am wary, and our
insurance agent could easily crush this product if it increases our
insurance costs significantly beyond what we have already budgeted for.

--
Chuck Cox - SynchroSystems - Synchro.com
,

I've been following with interest your market research for this little
generator. It sounds like a great product technically, but I think Wayne
may have hit upon the real world implications of it's use as a consumer type
product. Your small company will need to resolve problems that arise from
some customers with no technical comprehension of what they are doing and
somehow maintain a good reputation for responsive service. Not to throw a
wet blanket on the concept, because it's good, but this is a prime example
of something that will require product liability insurance. Depending on who
you chose to underwrite a policy, it may force you to jack the price up
significantly.

Not to be nosey - and no need to answer if it's none of my business - but
how are you funded? I have the impression of a small, startup company
somehow connected to a university (Harvard). At some point in the
development and introduction of this generator the question will come up.
Is the development privately funded? How do you intend to market it? (May
cost much more than the development costs).

BTW, I am sure you realize that there are other consumer markets for a
product like this that may be bigger than the boating industry.

RCE

Chuck Cox

Jim Richardson wrote:
You're looking at something about 12" long, and maybe 6" on width and
height? really? heck, that sounds great. Or am I misunderstanding?

That's about right.

RCE wrote:

I've been following with interest your market research for this little
generator. It sounds like a great product technically, but I think Wayne
may have hit upon the real world implications of it's use as a consumer type
product. Your small company will need to resolve problems that arise from
some customers with no technical comprehension of what they are doing and
somehow maintain a good reputation for responsive service. Not to throw a
wet blanket on the concept, because it's good, but this is a prime example
of something that will require product liability insurance. Depending on who
you chose to underwrite a policy, it may force you to jack the price up
significantly.

That is true. We have priced in a certain amount of insurance, but our
estimates could be wrong. There is a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem
in regards to product insurance pricing because you can't get a real
quote until you have a real prototype and solid price-point.

Not to be nosey - and no need to answer if it's none of my business - but
how are you funded?

We are privately funded. We have a small group of loyal investors that
we have been good to over the last 22 years.

I have the impression of a small, startup company
somehow connected to a university (Harvard).

SynchroSystems is not affiliated with any University although we have
good relations with local schools because we occasionally hire interns
to help us with non-technical stuff. I am a (very) part-time undergrad
degree candidate at Harvard, hence my backup email address. My partner
is an alumni of the trade school down the street (MIT), so we have close
ties to those schools, but nothing official.

We are small, but since we were founded in 1984, I'm not sure if we are
a start-up. Although our in-house product development is new, we have
been developing products for other companies for 22 years.

At some point in the
development and introduction of this generator the question will come up.
Is the development privately funded?

Yes.

How do you intend to market it? (May
cost much more than the development costs).

That depends on what our market research indicates. We will certainly
sell online, but other details remain TBD. A certain amount of
marketing expense has already been priced in, but our market research
will help refine that number. This is the kind of thing we hire an MBA
student to figure out for us.

BTW, I am sure you realize that there are other consumer markets for a
product like this that may be bigger than the boating industry.

Yes, this is really just a variation on something else we are working on
for a non-boating application.

"Chuck Cox" wrote in message
RCE wrote:

[...]

Interesting company and potential new product. I wish you success. I am
not far from you (Duxbury) and would be happy to be a beta site! :-)

RCE

Glenn A. Heslop

Me too...I'd be interested in a beta test.

Glenn.

"RCE" wrote in message

"Chuck Cox" wrote in message
RCE wrote:

[...]

How to Start an Outboard Motor Without Actually Starting It? [email protected] General 5 November 29th 05 02:20 AM
Diesel starting problems Matt Cruising 5 November 22nd 05 03:02 AM
yanmar -ysb 1974 engine- poor starting [email protected] Cruising 8 November 3rd 05 04:47 AM