Matt

Default Diesel starting problems

Hi,
Having some problems with my Bukh 20 diesel. Started it the other day
and it ran for a couple of minutes then died. This had never happened
before. On investigation it looked like the hose connecting to the fuel
lift pump was a bit dodgy. It looked like the hose clamp may have been
cutting through the hose. Cut a couple of cm's off end of hose and
reconnected. With some priming and a bit of aerostart down the air
intake she started and I left her running for a good hour. An hour
later went to start her again and same thing, woudn't start. This time
I worked the manual lift lever on fuel pump and put more aerostart in
and she started and ran well.

I've checked all the filters and fuel supply, all looks o.k.

I noticed that the engine mounts look very compressed and that possibly
the fuel pump could be making contact with one of the steel engine
beds. Wondering if this could be the cause? Just haven't been able to
have a good look.

Anyways, as I'm very much a novice I'm hoping other might have some
suggestions on other possible causes of this problem.

thanks in advance

d parker

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Did you change the filters? Or just check em?

DP

I'd change the filters, re-prime and retest.

Also it's possible that the injector pump or lift pump has a defective
check valve thats allowing the fuel to drain off and not allow it to be
pumped into the injector pump.

RW Salnick

Or that the lift pump has a leaky diaphragm - it works good enough at
running rpm to keep the injection pump supplied, but can't get fuel
there at cranking rpm...

If this is the problem, the crankcase oil is probably diluted with
diesel, and the engine shouldn't be run anyway.

bob

wrote:
I'd change the filters, re-prime and retest.

Also it's possible that the injector pump or lift pump has a defective
check valve thats allowing the fuel to drain off and not allow it to be
pumped into the injector pump.

Matt

Thanks for the replies. I haven't changed the filters as yet. I'm
planning to get a mechanic to give it a once over asap. I'll check the
cranckcase oil too.

Larry

RW Salnick wrote in
:

Or that the lift pump has a leaky diaphragm - it works good enough at
running rpm to keep the injection pump supplied, but can't get fuel
there at cranking rpm...

I agree, too. It's sucking air into the fuel line from "somewhere".
REPLACE all the crappy hoses, don't just cut the end off them, and try it.
Only takes a tiny crack to suck in a tiny air bubble and the injection
timing and fuel delivery just sucks! Check the fuel filter seals, too. It
may be sucking a bubble in around there, too.

Air is the reason it won't run....air in the fuel system.

--
Larry