Bill McKee

Default Add used oil to diesel fuel?

"Tamaroak" wrote in message
. ..
I recently read something about adding the used oil from your crankcase (20
quarts from my engine) to your diesel tanks to burn up, thus saving the
purchase of five gallons of fuel and eliminating the problem of disposal.

I would be diluting it into 320 gallons of fuel.

Is this common?

Capt. Jeff

And how much would in cost in fuel filters? Maybe in an old Detroit Diesel.
But not in any new diesel with a high pressure pump.

Lew Hodgett

"Tamaroak" writes:

I recently read something about adding the used oil from your crankcase

(20
quarts from my engine) to your diesel tanks to burn up, thus saving the
purchase of five gallons of fuel and eliminating the problem of disposal.

Let's see now, 20 qts of contaminated motor oil, or 5 gallons.

Even at $4/gallon for diesel, that's $20.

The cleaning process for the 20 qts of oil will probably consume at
least $25 of filters plus whatever is required to neutralize the acids
in the oil prior to filtering.

Sounds like a winner to me.G

Lew

Tamaroak wrote:
I recently read something about adding the used oil from your crankcase
(20 quarts from my engine) to your diesel tanks to burn up, thus saving
the purchase of five gallons of fuel and eliminating the problem of
disposal.

I would be diluting it into 320 gallons of fuel.

Is this common?

Capt. Jeff

The better practice would be to save the used oil and take it to a
recycling station.
On a long voyage, you may wind up with a few 10-gallon containers of
used oil.

Pouring the used oil into your fuel tank *will* work, but why introduce
all those contaminants into the fuel system?

Bill McKee

"Eisboch" wrote in message

Bill McKee wrote in message
ink.net...

"Tamaroak" wrote in message
. ..
I recently read something about adding the used oil from your crankcase

(20
quarts from my engine) to your diesel tanks to burn up, thus saving the
purchase of five gallons of fuel and eliminating the problem of
disposal.

I would be diluting it into 320 gallons of fuel.

Is this common?

Capt. Jeff

And how much would in cost in fuel filters? Maybe in an old Detroit

Diesel.
But not in any new diesel with a high pressure pump.

Why?

Eisboch

What if any of those contaminents get through to the pump. particles, will
score it, and the used oil has acids.

Rich Hampel

and worse than that a lot of this high fraction weight oil wont burn
completely in the combustion chamber and WILL 'coke' in the exhaust
section and begin to block the exhaust. Do you know how to remove
carbon blockage from an exhaust system?

If your engine wasnt designed to burn bunker-C or other thick heavy
'goo', dont add motor oil to your fuel.

:-)

In article . net, Bill
McKee wrote:

"Eisboch" wrote in message

Bill McKee wrote in message
ink.net...

. ..

Tamaroak wrote:
I recently read something about adding the used oil from your crankcase
(20 quarts from my engine) to your diesel tanks to burn up, thus saving
the purchase of five gallons of fuel and eliminating the problem of
disposal.

I would be diluting it into 320 gallons of fuel.

Is this common?

Capt. Jeff

Wouldn't have been a problem in older diesels, but I wouldn't do it
with the new high output types, with high pressure fuel delivery, etc

Butch Davis

Lots of opinions with little in the way of facts.

The practice of burning used diesel engine crankcase oil as fuel has been
popular with fleet users for many years. The main caution is that the oil
must not have been contaminated by coolant. The practice will not void the
warranties of any of the major engine manufacturers. The lube oil is burned
completely and, BTW, has a higher BTU content than fuel oil.

The process should be done carefully in order not to "over oil" the fuel.
Racor, the filter manufacturer, used to sell a system for the purpose. I
bought several for a fleet of large EMD, Cummins, and CAT generators. The
systems made us a lot of money by saving the cost of disposal of used lube
oil and avoiding the cost of thousands of gallons of fuel oil. The Racor
kits were in several sizes to accomodate small to large applications. I
don't know if Racor continues to market the systems.

Butch
wrote in message
oups.com...

Tamaroak wrote:
I recently read something about adding the used oil from your crankcase
(20 quarts from my engine) to your diesel tanks to burn up, thus saving
the purchase of five gallons of fuel and eliminating the problem of
disposal.

I would be diluting it into 320 gallons of fuel.

Is this common?

Capt. Jeff

Wouldn't have been a problem in older diesels, but I wouldn't do it
with the new high output types, with high pressure fuel delivery, etc

Bill McKee

But weren't these mostly mechanical fuel injection?

"Butch Davis" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...