posted to rec.boats,alt.sport.jet-ski,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Bert Robbins

Default Jet Ski overheating problem

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Jim Carter" wrote in message
.. .

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
nk.net...
So my "power boat" is not a power boat for rules when the motor is
turned
off and I am drifting?

Bill, have you read the Collision Regulations and do you not understand
them? Have you read the correct terminology that is fully explained in
these regulations? If not, why don't you get a copy of them and read
them from cover to cover so that you are better informed before you write
such questions as you wrote above. Everything that you are asking is
fully
explained in the Collision Regulations. For example, your question that
you are now asking is explained in Rule 3 General Definitions (a)

Got that Bill?

Jim C.

Can you answer my question? Is a power boat a power boat with the engine
off or in neutral?

It is a raft.

Got that Jim?

posted to alt.sport.jet-ski,rec.boats.cruising
The_Giz

also in the top 2% percentile of the population....not to brag
or
anything, but someone in the
post earlier questioned my intelligence, and believe me, it's

not in
question.

Dare I ask, then why do you own a PWC?

SBV

Many of the wealthiest and most intelligent people in the world own PWC's.
Agreed... they keep them on their yacht (s).

I especially like the shot of the two Yami's sitting alongside Paul Allen's
Octopus.

posted to rec.boats,alt.sport.jet-ski,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Terry Spragg

Beat me to it! I hate to join a choir late, but...

Bill McKee wrote:

"Matt Colie" wrote in message

Wow - this is amazing.
Terry, my analogy below was bad as it turns out. You might have a better
chance getting the pig to sing.....

Billy, could you PLEASE give us all some idea of where you might be so I
can NEVER go there?

Matt Colie - See Prior sig

Bill McKee wrote:

"next.victim" wrote in message

Bill McKee wrote:

"Matt Colie" wrote in message

Terry,
Very well said, but save your bandwidth. (Teaching a pig to sing and
such.)

Billy believes he was the right(maybe the requirement) to take any
vessel anywhere close aboard at flank speed. He is convinced that, if
a vessel has any machinery onboard, it does not qualify as a vessel
undersail regardless of the situation. He has proven he is not capable
of interpreting Colregs the same way as the OMI to whom I wrote the
pages of my license examinations.

I just wish he had said where he is so we could all avoid him.

Matt Colie - See prior sigs - I'm tired of this.

Terry Spragg wrote:

at least it was on topic!
NI!

Terry K

Bill McKee wrote:
Was on topic, but sailboats can not turn as wanted, the rest of the
world be damned. Bill McKee wrote:

Throttle off, no control, turning radius about a boat length.

Well, if you put it that way, it sounds like it should be right, and
logically, it is exactly correct, and if you read what you wrote,
you may see why it is so funny, that you bite your own tail. Sailboats
can not just turn, (or not turn,) as wanted. They are overpowered by
the wind all the time. The wind blows sailboats around like leaves
sometimes. As a mariner, you are expected to understand that,
anticipate it, and survive the hazards anyway.

Overtaking vessels must keep clear, sail or power. If they cannot,
they must slow down to a safe speed, even stop. Chewy beans.

You are expected and required to understand sail and power, and all
their constraints, or stay home.

Sailboats flop about out of control from time to time, motor on or
off, whenever the sails are up and the wind is alive, it is the
nature of the game: 15 HP auxiliary engines, thousand HP wild winds,
waves, sails, ropes, winches, flying fish, nature, etc, etc. You
understand, don't you? If not, you should not be in command on the
water.

What you don't seem to grasp is that no one except possibly you,
would purposely hit someone with a car or boat, just because they were
****ed off and somehow surmise that they are in the right, have the
right of way, and therefore, have a license to kill anyone who does
not stay out of your way, regardless.

This attitude you seemingly cherish may well cause you to spend the
latter years of your life locked in a cell being raped by real nasty
*******s with really big muscles and real nasty diseases. On the
evidence you provide, I would bet two cents you are prettier than you
are smart.

On the water, all the regulations in the world are there to settle
lawsuits after damages occur, and to impress on mariners that
collisions are to be avoided by any means, at all costs, regardless of
the causes. The reason why should be obvious. A collision at sea can
ruin your whole life. Like being bitten by a dog, it can change your
attitude forever, the hard way.

Don't feel too bad, even real sea captains sometimes hit other
ships, and blow cities like Halifax all to hell, because they make
little mistakes early on, and suddenly find they cannot avoid the
other guy's similar idiocy. We are all human, right?

'Course, those arrogant guys usually end up losing their nice cushy
seat at the Captain's table, and deservedly so. Some commit suicide
once their role in disaster becomes obvious. These men have
consciences, at least. Some of their very cushy seats disappear below
the titanic icy waves as they sit in them, along with thousands of
their passengers.

Icebergs and the wind just don't care. It is left to us to be
responsible, considerate, cautious and courteous. Some grow up
earlier than others. Some never make it.

Fair winds to you, and the best of luck, for all our sakes. Your
skills, knowledge and attitude probably won't help you, your
passengers, or locals much. Old sailors would treat you like a rock
awash, if you would just keep still.

Otherwise, we fear for you.

Terry K

Bite Me. propulsion motor on, equal power boat.

A GIANT NOPE! See (c) below, Read it carefully, it was written by a
maritime lawyer.

Mr. McKee,

I would be forced to determine that what has previously been said is
completely accurate, and given this case, I would have to find a
judgement against you.

Please go to:

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navru...les/Rule03.htm

below is exerted from the above:
For the purpose of these Rules and this Chapter [Inld], except where the
context otherwise requires:

(a) The word "vessel" includes every description of watercraft,
including non-displacement craft, WIG craft [Intl], and seaplanes, used
or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water.

(b) The term "power-driven vessel" means any vessel propelled by
machinery.

(c) The term "sailing vessel" means any vessel under sail provided
that propelling machinery, if fitted, is not being used.
Unquote-

I find the above parts b & c to be clear and compelling. In the case of
being used, the only interpretation possible for “propelling machinery”
would be the case that said machinery was actually providing the driving
force to propel said vessel.

I my have no authority here, but I strongly recommend that you deal with
your issues as you have presented yourself to be a clear and present
hazzard as the operator of a vessel underpower.

Name withheld by authors request

And your motor is not propelling machinery?

Only if it is engaged and capable of overcoming the power of the wind.

So my "power boat" is not a power boat for rules when the motor is turned
off and I am drifting?

That's right. You become a vessel not under command, I believe. To
the outside world, you could be injured, ill, asleep, or having
fallen off miles before your boat ran out of gas, a pedestrian. You
will be given every consideration and possibly a tow home, a coffee,
and a chance to use the head, even a warm berth along with a warm
blankey, even a medicinal dose of brandy, splints for your broken
bones, even the "breath of life", provided the tanker can get
stopped before mashing you. Unfortunately, sailboats probably do not
carry enough fuel to replenish your tanks sufficiently to get you
home, else you might get some of it, too.

At sea, Billy, pedestrians have the absolute, inarguable right of way;-)

To run over one, even in the dark, is manslaughter if he dies, even
if he does make an unexpected turn in front of you. Negligent
manslaughter, if you were not keeping an adequate lookout, or were
running at excessive speed under the circumstances, which is
almost the same as murder.

The regulations govern men, not boats.

Those who can manouver best have the most responsibility to avoid
hazards. It makes sense, if you think about it, and if you read the
rules carefully and with an open mind you will see it plain.

You are right, sailing vessels cannot turn whenever they want. Nor
can they always prevent turns whenever they want, thanks to the wind
and other obstacles.

Surely your position is not that sailors do not have the same right
to enjoy the water as do power boaters? It is said among sailors
that essentially we ignore power boats simply because we have no
choise, being at their mercey.

We sailors cannot outrun, avoid, or catch high powered boats except
possibly double reefed in a steady gale where you might be puking up
your guts amidst the rollers, unable to maintain any speed at all
whilst struggling to survive in your fair weather speedboat.

Circumstances rule boats. Men do what they can.

The rest is common sense. The colregs are common sense, written by
lawyers, maritime lawyers at that, and are therefore unintelligible
to most mere mortal landlubbers. Don't feel bad. Furthermore, the
regs have been argued by better men than us, for hundreds of years,
and reflect the findings of numerous lawsuits, trials, boards of
inquiry, courts martial, et al. They must be read with painful
attention to the merest comma. You must realize too, that power boat
regulations are somewhat junior to those governing sail, which I
gather you could never understand, since you do not appreciate the
realities of sail, nor probably of power for that matter. Your jet
boat is a dangerous toy.

You must understand that sailboats, even with their engines engaged,
try as they might, may not actually be being propelled under control
of the engine, but may well be in the teeth of the unco-operative
wind and may be struggling with control. It is a part of sailing,
like rocks awash.

Even if they were after you, you could always stay out of reach, eh?

Terry K

posted to rec.boats,alt.sport.jet-ski,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
otnmbrd

"Bill McKee" wrote in
ink.net:

"otnmbrd" wrote in message

snip

, and I send you back to rule 2.

otn

And a stupid guy who is motoring with his sails up is going to run day
signals or lights? LOL!

G Didn't really expect you to grasp the point being made.

otn
posted to alt.sport.jet-ski,rec.boats.cruising
Capt. JG

"The_Giz" wrote in message
also in the top 2% percentile of the population....not to brag

or
anything, but someone in the
post earlier questioned my intelligence, and believe me, it's

not in
question.

Dare I ask, then why do you own a PWC?

SBV

Many of the wealthiest and most intelligent people in the world own PWC's.
Agreed... they keep them on their yacht (s).

I especially like the shot of the two Yami's sitting alongside Paul
Allen's Octopus.

If they were the only people who owned them, I would be quite happy.
Clearly, you're not one of them.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sport.jet-ski,rec.boats.cruising
Capt. JG

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
25.201...
"Bill McKee" wrote in
ink.net:

"otnmbrd" wrote in message

snip

, and I send you back to rule 2.

otn

And a stupid guy who is motoring with his sails up is going to run day
signals or lights? LOL!

G Didn't really expect you to grasp the point being made.

otn

I think he has mental problems...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to rec.boats,alt.sport.jet-ski,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Terry Spragg

Bill McKee wrote:

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
hlink.net...

And your motor is not propelling machinery?

No, Bill, a motor is not propelling machinery, nor is a propeller,
propelling machinery, but used together,
they become propelling machinery.
Just for kicks, let's get a bit more complicated.
The only way you can be certain (reasonably) under the Rules, that a sail
vessel is also being powered by some mechanical means
other than the sails, is, in daylight, a cone, apex down; at night, she's
lit as a power driven vessel; or radio communications.
Barring any of those (excluding some sailboat making 10k in a 1k breeze...
possible exceptions noted) you should consider the sailboat
just that ..... a sailboat, and I send you back to rule 2.

otn

And a stupid guy who is motoring with his sails up is going to run day
signals or lights? LOL!

Well, maybe not if he has a stupid greedy lawyer, and and you do
too, and it all winds up in court, IF there were damages that might
have been avoided, or settled beforhand.

If he's smart enough to know that there is sufficient wind (in his
locality) that he may be deflected from his intended course by the
wind, and is using his trolling motor, he may hoist a powering cone
to let you know that he is probably able to manouver better than he
could without an engine, but you should be able to tell, anyway,
just from looking, that he has a sail in the air, seems to be going
too fast for the wind, and may get farted on by the wind. If he has
a need for the engine in light airs, he probably has a big suit of
sails up, and is most vulnerable to a gust or turbulence from trees
half a mile away, etc. Got it?

He may be almost out of gas, can't charge his battery, and needs to
hoist a sail, so needs to turn into the wind soon, because of tides
and rocks awash. He may need 6 feet of water, or could soon be a
pedestrian.

He may not have any juke box money, either, because he spent it all
on charts. You do have charts on board?

A smart powerboater would have no question in his mind; sail in the
air is a hazard, keep very clear, if you can or slow down, under
pain of responsibility.

It's usually not a personal problem, is it? You got gas, you got a
steering wheel, eh? Your wrists are not as limp as your brain, are
they? Or is that your dick sticking up through your collar?

Now, stop chewing your own tail, or you'll grow hair on your nose
and go blind.

Which brings us back to that age old question, "Why do old sea dogs
lick their own balls?" Remember, to start with, only half of them do.

Consider yourself bitten.

Terry K

posted to rec.boats,alt.sport.jet-ski,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Matt Colie

Terry,

This has been amazingly amuzing, shall we divert this here to a new case?

Billy is fishing from his drifting jetski (or what ever) and a sailboat
with no sails is approaching with no change in bearing. He is not
worried because he can see smoke at he transom. After all he is fishing
so the sailboat is the burden vessel here.

What little Billy has not bothered to notice is the the line (he calls
it rope) that is drifting in front of the sailboat.

He is also absolutely certain that Colregs part 3.d means that he has no
requirement to avoid the closing vessel. If you can only read one line
at time, it might be an honest mistake.

Questions:
1 - What is proper way for the anchored ketch to avoid a collision.
2 - Why is there no standing lookout in a part 202.50 anchorage?
3 - Who is tending the barbaque? (instead of watching for boats
drifting into the anchorage?

Matt Colie

Bill McKee wrote:

"Matt Colie" wrote in message

Terry,
Very well said, but save your bandwidth. (Teaching a pig to sing
and such.)

Billy believes he was the right(maybe the requirement) to take
any vessel anywhere close aboard at flank speed. He is convinced
that, if a vessel has any machinery onboard, it does not qualify
as a vessel undersail regardless of the situation. He has proven
he is not capable of interpreting Colregs the same way as the OMI
to whom I wrote the pages of my license examinations.

I just wish he had said where he is so we could all avoid him.

Matt Colie - See prior sigs - I'm tired of this.

Terry Spragg wrote:

at least it was on topic!
NI!

Terry K

Bill McKee wrote:
[...]

Gary

Bill McKee wrote:
"Capt. JG" wrote in message

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
hlink.net...

(b) The term "power-driven vessel" means any vessel propelled by
machinery.

And your motor is not propelling machinery?

Try reading (b) again.

And your motor is not propelling machinery? I guess a power boat like mine
is not a power boat when the motor is turned off or not in gear. So you hit
a drift fishing "Power boat" who has his motor off or in not in gear, who is
at fault.

Billy. How old are you? Is it time for school yet? When a bicycle
runs into a parked car who is at fault?
posted to alt.sport.jet-ski,rec.boats.cruising
Gary

Capt. JG wrote:
"Bill McKee" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
thlink.net...

(b) The term "power-driven vessel" means any vessel propelled by
machinery.

And your motor is not propelling machinery?

Try reading (b) again.

And your motor is not propelling machinery? I guess a power boat like
mine is not a power boat when the motor is turned off or not in gear. So
you hit a drift fishing "Power boat" who has his motor off or in not in
gear, who is at fault.

Are you really that stupid or are you just trolling?

"vessel propelled by machinery"

When your vessel's engine is off and/or you're not using it to move the
vessel and you're not at anchor or at the dock, you're considered to be a
vessel not under command.

Fishing boats have special status... look up commercial fishing vessel
engaged in fishing.

Wrong on both counts. A vessel with the engine off is underway not
making way. To be NUC your engine has to be broken. Fishing boats only
have special status if they fit the legal discription of fishing. A
boat "drift fishing" does not.

Better give those rules a re-read.

Gaz