Da Kine

I've had several Cal's and none of mine were cored hulls. I'm
nearly positive that the '67 c-24 is not either. There are two places
that they were built, Jensen mar Marine in Costa Mesa, CA and somewhere
on the east coast - I think up near Jersey. I've never seen a Cal
older then 1978 get a single blister either. In 1978-9 or there about,
Bill Lapworth sold Cal to O'Day and they in turn sold to Catalina.
Those are completely different boats and should be avoided.

The Cal's all have cored decks. They are a sandwich of glass and
balsa. I would check around the stanchions and around the port lights.
Also, many of the cal's have had their travelers placed across the
seat/step that is astern the companionway. The screws tend to stress on
those and let water in. You can feel a soft spot when you walk on the
seat if there is water damage. The portholes are a strong plastic but
by now they are old and will crack easily. The stern port lights are
pretty good but the windows fog. You can use a cleaner to get them
mostly clear.

The real problem with that boat is that you will need to add a lot of
stuff to get the creature comforts up to modern standards. Also, you
will probably need to change out an A-4 that most of them came with. If
it has been used very much the engine will cost more to keep up then
makes it worth having.

Don White

Starbuck wrote:
Don,
Did your buddy decide to buy this antique?

He was still pretty excited when he called on Friday and was talking
about driving over this week for a look see.
Starbuck

Don,
It might make a good fixer upper for cruising, but I would be very surprised
if it would be completive in PHRF racing. If he gets the boat and use it
for PHRF, you will have to let us know how you do.

"Don White" wrote in message
Starbuck wrote:
Don,
Did your buddy decide to buy this antique?

He was still pretty excited when he called on Friday and was talking about
driving over this week for a look see.

Don White

Starbuck wrote:
Don,
It might make a good fixer upper for cruising, but I would be very surprised
if it would be completive in PHRF racing. If he gets the boat and use it
for PHRF, you will have to let us know how you do.

Our 'skipper' isn't a serious racer. He liked to do the Wednesday night
club races and the usual regattas, but that was about it.
He really wants the boat for afternoon social cruises. His usual MO
......leave the slip at 1300 or 1330 hrs, sail as far as he can until
about 1530 hrs and then turn around and head for home. If everyone on
board is having a good time with food & drink..good conversation etc,
he's happy. I tired of this after numerous trips and am more interested
in exploring.

Starbuck

Don,
If he is handy (or has friends who are handy) with tools, he will probably
get one hell of nice boat for cruising.

I knew someone who had a nice wide "pig" of a boat, he always came in last,
but he had a hammock swinging from the boom, and a sunpad on the foredeck,
both of them held beautiful girls in bikini's. (He used to go to the strip
clubs to find woman who wanted to spend the day on a boat.)

He always came in dead last, but no one had more fun on the water than he
did.

"Don White" wrote in message
Starbuck wrote:
Don,
It might make a good fixer upper for cruising, but I would be very
surprised if it would be completive in PHRF racing. If he gets the boat
and use it for PHRF, you will have to let us know how you do.

Our 'skipper' isn't a serious racer. He liked to do the Wednesday night
club races and the usual regattas, but that was about it.
He really wants the boat for afternoon social cruises. His usual MO
.....leave the slip at 1300 or 1330 hrs, sail as far as he can until about
1530 hrs and then turn around and head for home. If everyone on board is
having a good time with food & drink..good conversation etc, he's happy.
I tired of this after numerous trips and am more interested in exploring.

Don White

Starbuck wrote:
Don,
If he is handy (or has friends who are handy) with tools, he will probably
get one hell of nice boat for cruising.

I knew someone who had a nice wide "pig" of a boat, he always came in last,
but he had a hammock swinging from the boom, and a sunpad on the foredeck,
both of them held beautiful girls in bikini's. (He used to go to the strip
clubs to find woman who wanted to spend the day on a boat.)

He always came in dead last, but no one had more fun on the water than he
did.

That sounds like 'our skipper'. Most of the good looking blondes
drifted away over the years...but that's a good tip about the strip
clubs. Now, how would I keep my wife from finding out if we try the same?

rhys

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:03:04 -0400, "Starbuck"
wrote:

He always came in dead last, but no one had more fun on the water than he
did.

And more power to him, as long as he doesn't make navigational errors
by steering for the pink cardinal buoys.

That would be unseamanlike.

R.

1967 Cal 34 Don White General 32 October 1st 05 04:53 PM
1967 Cruiser Craft. Waco General 1 July 13th 04 05:33 PM
1967 Johnson 20 hp Outboard Phil DeVoe General 0 July 12th 04 09:14 PM
1967 Cherokee Boat - Where can I find info on it? Tim General 4 May 28th 04 08:50 PM
43' Trojan 1967 wood Cruising 3 November 3rd 03 10:53 PM