~^ beancounter ~^

"He always came in dead last, but no
one had more fun on the water than he
did."

good one!!...dead last w/a "you know
what-eatin grin" on his face ?? sounds like
an expierenced sailor....

~^ beancounter ~^

Da Kine...could I get an opinion (from you) on
campairing cal's to ericson's?..In the 32-38 foot
range...crusing/racing?...

DSK

Starbuck wrote:
Don,
It might make a good fixer upper for cruising, but I would be very
surprised if it would be completive in PHRF racing.

Why? Any boat in good shape with a good sailor at the helm can be
competitive in PHRF. Do you know what the letters stand for?

Don White wrote:
Our 'skipper' isn't a serious racer. He liked to do the Wednesday night
club races and the usual regattas, but that was about it.
He really wants the boat for afternoon social cruises. His usual MO
.....leave the slip at 1300 or 1330 hrs, sail as far as he can until
about 1530 hrs and then turn around and head for home. If everyone on
board is having a good time with food & drink..good conversation etc,
he's happy. I tired of this after numerous trips and am more interested
in exploring.

Ideal boat for that use... unless the cost & work getting it into
satisfactory shape kills his interest in the boat first.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Starbuck

Doug,
I am familiar with PHRF and PHRF racing. The PHRF is not a number based
upon he performance of that particular boat, it is the handicap for the boat
that has been maintained in ideal conditions and is in pristine condition.

Don has told us this is a fixer upper and has lots of work to do. It is not
reasonable to expect a major fixer upper to be competitive in any PHRF race.
That particular boat is very sensitive to added weight, such as added weight
due to water absorption into the gelcoat and fiberglass.

Don White wrote:
Our 'skipper' isn't a serious racer. He liked to do the Wednesday night
club races and the usual regattas, but that was about it.
He really wants the boat for afternoon social cruises. His usual MO
.....leave the slip at 1300 or 1330 hrs, sail as far as he can until
about 1530 hrs and then turn around and head for home. If everyone on
board is having a good time with food & drink..good conversation etc,
he's happy. I tired of this after numerous trips and am more interested
in exploring.

Ideal boat for that use... unless the cost & work getting it into
satisfactory shape kills his interest in the boat first.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

DSK

Starbuck wrote:
Doug,
I am familiar with PHRF and PHRF racing. The PHRF is not a number based
upon he performance of that particular boat, it is the handicap for the boat
that has been maintained in ideal conditions and is in pristine condition.

It also gets adjusted regularly to the performance of boats of similar
type in the area.

Don has told us this is a fixer upper and has lots of work to do. It is not
reasonable to expect a major fixer upper to be competitive in any PHRF race.

It most certainly is, after it is fixed up!
Before, especially with ragged out sails and marginal rig.... I agree
with you.

That particular boat is very sensitive to added weight, such as added weight
due to water absorption into the gelcoat and fiberglass.

No way of telling if that particular boat has that particular problem
without careful inspection. Loss of rigidity is as big a problem as
added weight.

DSK

Skip Gundlach

Loss of rigidity is as big a problem as added weight.

DSK

Sounds like the majority of us captains!

L8R

Skip, tongue in cheek, finishing emptying the almost-sold house

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Da Kine

Keep in mind that all of the following is a discussion of boats built
before 1978. After that, all bets are off.

Cal's are faster and a bit stronger and Ericson has the cushy appeal.
They are really nice inside where cal's are rally bare bones. They are
both great boats though and to say one is better then the other is just
a matter of where the swing of needs is.

If you get a jensonmar marine boat of any kind that was built before
1978 you will not go wrong. They made most Rangers'; most Cal's some
Ericson's, some Islander's and a few others. You can tell where they
were made by taking a rubbing of the serial number off the stern or
looking on the paperwork made a boat. Most states will list the boat
yard because of the legalities of chartering a boat with an American
laid keel.

A friend with an Ericson 41 (older one) weathered Hurricane Andrew
while in the anchorage just outside of Dinner Key Marina with 3
anchors. (Yes the anchoring was the main reason) but the Ericson did
fine. That's in opposition to a boat that had its mast broken off
when Katrina passed over Miami last month. (Katrina was only 90 mph
when it crossed Miami)

Some of the Cal's are much nicer inside then others. I have a 3-30 that
was so bare inside when I bought her that I gutted her and rebuilt the
entire interior. Some of the 34-foot and bigger are really nice. The
C-40 that wins all the races is plain but the C-39 has a ton more room,
is screaming fast and really plush.

If you look up Bill (william) Lapworth you'll find a plethora of
articles on him and his boats. You should be able to find a bunch of
pictures too. They are really well built. As a testament to that, last
summer my boat was in Port Charlotte Boat Storage, right next to Punta
Gorda FL. Charley came through and tornadoes ripped about 30 boats to
shreds. A 42-foot sloop landed ON my boat, knocking it off the stands.
There was some damage but nothing I wasn't able to fix myself.

I think Cal's are the perfect mach of speed and strength but it is
really a matter of taste and needs. If you want more comforts I would
lean towards Ericson's and not worry at all. If you want speed lean
toward Cal and not yet mentioned, if you don't mind ugly and want a
brick house, get an old Columbia but the wiring is hard to get to. They
have the space of most condominiums and they are built like someone
needed to get rid of as much fiberglass as they could. I think, though,
that they have a reputation for not sinking because they are so ugly
that the water rejects them :-)

One last thought - If you think you might want to rebuild the interior
of any boat, let me try to talk you out of it. I did the work with a
few friends that were great carpenters and it took 3 moths of intense
labor to complete. The cost, even with a lot of freebees from my
friends was about $15,000! That is just too much time and money for me
to ever want to do again.

Good luck finding the right boat.

~^ beancounter ~^

thanx Da Kine for the info...and yes, rebuilding an interior
is a lot more work that on initially thinks...or, at least i did...

Da Kine

I use to post under palmtreedreamer but changed the account to this
when I set up for my cell phone - in case you wanted to know.

If you decide to go for a newer and more expensive boat there are loads
of choices. I gave you my personal likes because I am into older boats
for less money. I'd rather spend more on my trips.

If you need any help with anything, I really don't mind giving it. I
will be offshore soon (a few weeks) and won't be back until spring. If
you make your way out to the Bahamas or Turks look for Makai. We=E2=80=99ll
leave the anchor light on for you =E2=98=BA

May your anchor be tight, your corks be loose, your rum be spiced and
your compass be true.
--=20
Captain Danny Taddei

Matt O'Toole

Mic wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/46-Ca...c mdZViewItem

1973 46' Cal Sailboat with 1994 engine and sails
US $20,100.42

It went for 50 grand. At first glance (knowing nothing about the boat) that's a
great price for a Cal 2-46 in good condition. Who knows though, without a
complete survey.

Matt O.

1967 Cal 34 Don White General 32 October 1st 05 04:53 PM
1967 Cruiser Craft. Waco General 1 July 13th 04 05:33 PM
1967 Johnson 20 hp Outboard Phil DeVoe General 0 July 12th 04 09:14 PM
1967 Cherokee Boat - Where can I find info on it? Tim General 4 May 28th 04 08:50 PM
43' Trojan 1967 wood Cruising 3 November 3rd 03 10:53 PM