Don White

Default 1967 Cal 34

The guy I used to crew with called tonight. Now he's checking out a
1967 Cal 34 from a neighbouring province.
The former Florida sailboat is listed as a 'project boat'.
I tried to talk him out of it, but the boat is listed dirt cheap. He
figures we'll get a work crew together and make this boat seaworthy. I
did my best to turn him away...he knows nothing about re-furbishing an
older boat and he's making noises aboute putting me in charge of the
project. Since I've never re-furbished an old boat myself, I'm going to
have to give him a wakeup call. Luckly, there's another friend of his
who John will listen to.
In the meantime, anyone familiar with the Cal 34?
Starbuck

Yes, I am.

--

Starbuck

.... Hey!!!....This is not my dad's TAGLINE!!!

"Don White" wrote in message
The guy I used to crew with called tonight. Now he's checking out a 1967
Cal 34 from a neighbouring province.
The former Florida sailboat is listed as a 'project boat'.
I tried to talk him out of it, but the boat is listed dirt cheap. He
figures we'll get a work crew together and make this boat seaworthy. I
did my best to turn him away...he knows nothing about re-furbishing an
older boat and he's making noises aboute putting me in charge of the
project. Since I've never re-furbished an old boat myself, I'm going to
have to give him a wakeup call. Luckly, there's another friend of his who
John will listen to.
In the meantime, anyone familiar with the Cal 34?

*JimH*

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 23:49:30 GMT, Don White
wrote:

The guy I used to crew with called tonight. Now he's checking out a
1967 Cal 34 from a neighbouring province.
The former Florida sailboat is listed as a 'project boat'.
I tried to talk him out of it, but the boat is listed dirt cheap. He
figures we'll get a work crew together and make this boat seaworthy. I
did my best to turn him away...he knows nothing about re-furbishing an
older boat and he's making noises aboute putting me in charge of the
project. Since I've never re-furbished an old boat myself, I'm going to
have to give him a wakeup call. Luckly, there's another friend of his
who John will listen to.
In the meantime, anyone familiar with the Cal 34?

http://www.practical-sailor.com/pub/...ew/1141-1.html

DSK

Don White wrote:
The guy I used to crew with called tonight. Now he's checking out a
1967 Cal 34 from a neighbouring province.
The former Florida sailboat is listed as a 'project boat'.
I tried to talk him out of it, but the boat is listed dirt cheap.

Get him to sit down with a West Marine catalog and a spreadsheet.
Enter everything he's going to need. Just the wiring, fuse panel,
lights, etc etc, are going to run several thousand dollars. By the time
he gets new standing rigging, new running rigging, new sails, etc etc,
he's going to have long since spent more money than he would to get a
boat in better shape.

This is another case of "do the math."

It only makes sense to buy and old boat to fix up *if* you have the
skills and can do some scrounging.

... Since I've never re-furbished an old boat myself, I'm going to
have to give him a wakeup call.

Well, you could have fun doing it, and it's somebody else's nickel!

... Luckly, there's another friend of his
who John will listen to.
In the meantime, anyone familiar with the Cal 34?

Yep. Sailed one around quite a bit back in the mid 1970s. This one had
been somewhat tricked out for racing. They are good sailing boats,
although they have a few built-in problems... IIRC the steering on this
one tended to flake out. The owner used to loudly wish he'd gottten a
tiller.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Don White

Starbuck wrote:
Yes, I am.

Can you give me a good feel for the boat in 500 words or less?
....of course you can...will you?

In the meantime, anyone familiar with the Cal 34?

I owned, raced and cruised a Cal-34 for many years. It's an
interesting boat, very roomy for its size, and VERY fast in reaching
conditions off the wind. The original mast and chainplates are a weak
spot and need careful inspection and/or replacement. Mine was
dismasted off the New Jersey coast on a dark and stormy night in June
1987 due to an unknown rigging failure. The mast step (on deck) and
the mahogany supporting post are weak links. I went to a keel stepped
mast with new chainplates and a lot of reinforcement when I rerigged.

The boat is very weight sensitive and must be sailed light to be
competetive. Remove all gear and sails not required by your local
rules. A fair amount of mast rake is helpful also, especially in light
wind. Do a good job fairing and wet sanding the bottom. The keel is
none too efficient by today's standard and needs all the help it can
get. The boat likes lots of weight on the rail in a good wind and will
run circles around newer boats in those conditions. It's a great
cruising boat as well.

Check the engine and drive train carefully unless it has been recently
repowered. The original Atomic 4s are raw water cooled and eventually
rust out.

Jim

I sailed one in the late 60's. Delivered a couple, also.

Under power, the rudder gets the wash from the prop. Pulls hard. We
used to rig a big piece of shock cord to minimize it.

Good, well made boat, other than that.

DSK wrote:
Don White wrote:

[...]

Mic

wrote:

The guy I used to crew with called tonight. Now he's checking out a
1967 Cal 34 from a neighbouring province.
The former Florida sailboat is listed as a 'project boat'.
I tried to talk him out of it, but the boat is listed dirt cheap. He
figures we'll get a work crew together and make this boat seaworthy. I
did my best to turn him away...he knows nothing about re-furbishing an
older boat and he's making noises aboute putting me in charge of the
project. Since I've never re-furbished an old boat myself, I'm going to
have to give him a wakeup call. Luckly, there's another friend of his
who John will listen to.
In the meantime, anyone familiar with the Cal 34?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/46-Ca...c mdZViewItem

1973 46' Cal Sailboat with 1994 engine and sails
US $20,100.42

Time left: 5 days 20 hours
7-day listing, Ends Sep-28-05 17:08:34 PDT
Start time: Sep-21-05 17:08:34 PDT
History: 40 bids (US $200.00 starting bid)

This is a real beauty definately worth a look in particular the engine
room.
This sailboat comes with a fixed keel, compass, 2 heads, galley, wheel
tiller, rigging, mast, Spinnaker, Genoa, CB Radio, Main Sail, depth
sounder, auto pilot, wind instruments, work bench in engine room, and
sleeps 6.
The Original engine was replaces in 1994 with a Perkin. This engine
only has 332 hours. This sailboat has normal wear and tear for its
age.

Description
Model:
2-46
Use:
Salt Water

Year:
1973
Length (Feet):
46.0
Engine Make:
Perkins
Beam (Feet):
12.5

Starbuck

Don,
It is a lightweight racer/cruiser, it was not designed to take alot of
abuse. A 1967 cored hull boat, will have probably added quiet a bit of
water weight, and probably has some delaminating. I would look for spongy
areas around the stanchions and on the deck.

Since you are going to be racing PRHF, a 35 yr old boat will most likely
guarantee you last place in the fleet.

--

Starbuck

.... Diplomacy: the delicate weapon of the civilized warrior.

1967 Cal 34 Don White General 32 October 1st 05 04:53 PM
1967 Cruiser Craft. Waco General 1 July 13th 04 05:33 PM
1967 Johnson 20 hp Outboard Phil DeVoe General 0 July 12th 04 09:14 PM
1967 Cherokee Boat - Where can I find info on it? Tim General 4 May 28th 04 08:50 PM
43' Trojan 1967 wood Cruising 3 November 3rd 03 10:53 PM