Default Sadistic "Marine Sanitation Hose"

What is the deal on this stuff? :-)

I just spent my first 2-day intensive indoctrination with this vinyl
product from hell, most of it standing on my head or an approximation
thereof, in an extensive renewal/refit evolution with the usual
interfering lines & wiring, blind voids, galled clamp studs, insanely
planned/located associated equipment, and the rest of the gyrations we
come to expect on something called "a yatch."

Now, we know we need a good reinforced product for below-waterline &
pressure uses, and we even know that most plastic hoses require mild
heating for insert fittings. But it has caused me some post-battle
queries:

1) How may anyone effect a voyage repair aboard a small craft at sea
with this stuff? I was able to employ a heat lamp & reflector
arrangement within the limits of the onboard inverter, but not a heat
gun and certainly not boiling water in the work situations presented.
And this was while alongside with dry hose - not while rolling in a
seaway & with some inevitable water dripping through it that'd foil
attempts to heat it evenly enough for goodf assembly.

2) Does this material become irreparable with age due to changes in
properties? An adjacecent and otherise intact 3/4" sea suction line
of same of similar material required removal/trimming/refitting to its
seacock. Attempting to soften the trimmed hose for reattachment only
caused it to shrink, leading to a long delay & circus of trips ashore
which ended in creating a rubber hose adaptor for it.

3) Is there some compelling reason why reinforced rubber hose with a
suitable polymer barrier - which requires no heating or dubbing around
& clamps better besides - isn't in general use?

4) Beyond the obvious end treatments, is there some method of making
larger sizes of this "interesting" but uncooperative & pricy product
more easily routed in tighter spaces/radii?

5) Is there some compelling reason why yacht waste piping doesn't more
commonly employ rigid sched 40 DWV? (yes we know about sweeps &
expansion joints) In the case of blackwater wouldn't it last far
longer & be more vapor-impermeable? (not to mention that you could
*work* on it, pitch it so it'd drain & clean it if/when needed) I'm
not seeing an advantage to a very pricy hose that has R/R issues,
offers no timesavings in fitup, seems dicey to have to deal with at sea
& often (I am told) lasts only 2-3 years.

What am I missing here? ;-)

Bonus Q for the jaded: is there a implicit, international agreement
among those plan & specify such things, that the macerator pump shall
be mysteriously concealed within an inaccesible void locatable by
occultic divination, x-ray services or systematic disassembly of the
head compartment & foreship?

- f.

Peggie Hall

What is the deal on this stuff? :-)

I just spent my first 2-day intensive indoctrination with this vinyl
product from hell, most of it standing on my head or an approximation
thereof, in an extensive renewal/refit evolution with the usual
interfering lines & wiring, blind voids, galled clamp studs, insanely
planned/located associated equipment, and the rest of the gyrations we
come to expect on something called "a yatch."

Sometimes spelled "yacht."

There are a few tricks that make re-hosing a bit easier:

1. As is true of most jobs, planning and prep are 90% of a successful
project. So if the tank is in a completely inaccessible place, or the
plumbing run is ridiculously convoluted, or the tank is much further
than about 6' from the toilet, there is no law requiring you repeat the
same errors. Take the time to investigate how to do it better...if
necessary, cut hatches to create access (it's not hard to do, and worth
the effort)...reroute the plumbing...even move the d'd tank!

2. Before you start, measure the OD (outer diameter) of the
fittings....'cuz some nominal 1.5" fittings are actual 1 5/8"--or
they're metric and slightly larger than 1.5", which can make putting
toothpaste back into a tube a walk in the park compared to trying to get
a 1.5" hose onto 'em. Avoid gray PVC 1.5" tank fittings...use marelon or
nylon fittings. Btw, this anomaly only seems to apply to 1.5"...other
sizes are likely to be true.

3. Removing the old hose and running the new hose can often be made
easier by doing both at the same time: cut the ends of the old and the
new hose as cleanly as possible. Put 'em together on a male-male
connector, butting the ends as tightly as possible...you want the
smoothest unbroken surface possible...Use PVC cement to make sure both
hoses STAY on the connector...do NOT use duct tape--it won't hold if you
hit a snag...hose clamps will get caught on something. When you've got
all the hose pulled through, cut the new hose off behind the connector.

4. Don't try to make any hose bend tighter than it wants to bend
willingly...heating a hose to bend it will damage the hose, resulting in
a kink or even a tear. Instead, break it and insert an inline radius
fitting. Putting two ends onto a fitting is also a LOT easier than
wrestling a hose around a "corner."

5. When you're finally ready to start putting hoses onto fittings, it'll
go a lot easier if you warm the hose a bit. A lot of owners like to put
the end of the hose in hot water for a couple of minutes...I've always
found it easier to use a blow dryer. Use a heat gun ONLY if you know
what you're doing with one...'cuz overheating the hose will damage it.
Lubricating both the hose and the fitting with a little dishwashing
liquid--or better yet, K-Y surgical jelly--will help the hose go onto
any fitting that isn't bigger than it's supposed to be.

6. Double clamp all connections, putting the screws on opposite sides of
the hose--or at least offset a minimum of 90 degrees.

1) How may anyone effect a voyage repair aboard a small craft at sea
with this stuff?

Do it as PREVENTIVE maintenance before you leave the dock, and you won't
have to do it at sea unless you turn into the "Man Without a Country,"
unable to make landfall anywhere ever again.

2) Does this material become irreparable with age due to changes in
properties?

No...but sea water minerals can build up in it if allowed to (it can be
prevented), and sooner or later it will become permeated with odor.

3) Is there some compelling reason why reinforced rubber hose with a
suitable polymer barrier - which requires no heating or dubbing around
& clamps better besides - isn't in general use?

Any hose that would slide onto a fitting without any effort would slide
off almost as easily...and prob'ly would leak too.

4) Beyond the obvious end treatments, is there some method of making
larger sizes of this "interesting" but uncooperative & pricy product
more easily routed in tighter spaces/radii?

See 1-5 above.

5) Is there some compelling reason why yacht waste piping doesn't more
commonly employ rigid sched 40 DWV?

Several reasons: 1. unless every connection to any fixed component in
the system (toilet, tank, thru-hull, y-valve, etc) is "soft coupled"
with enough hose to cushion shock and protect from flexing, hard PVC is
likely to crack, especially in cold weather. And then there's the need
for unions in anything but a long straight run. Making all those
connections is so labor intensive that the cost of it compared to just
running hose is too high.

(yes we know about sweeps &
expansion joints) In the case of blackwater wouldn't it last far
longer & be more vapor-impermeable? (not to mention that you could
*work* on it, pitch it so it'd drain & clean it if/when needed) I'm
not seeing an advantage to a very pricy hose that has R/R issues,
offers no timesavings in fitup, seems dicey to have to deal with at sea
& often (I am told) lasts only 2-3 years.

That's not true...white PVC or black rubber hose can last decades with
no deterioration, provided it hasn't been overheated, bent too tightly
or hasn't been chafed through by poor installation. The only reason most
hose is replaced is because it becomes permeated with odor and stinks.
The hose is otherwise fine. As a general rule, the stiffer the hose, the
less likely it is to become permeated with odor...the softer it is, the
more likely. Many owners don't realize that not all white PVC hose is
created equal or rated for sanitation...so they use hot tub hose from
the hardware store because it's considerably cheaper than sanitation hose.

What am I missing here? ;-)

Nothing that most boat owners aren't also missing.

Bonus Q for the jaded: is there a implicit, international agreement
among those plan & specify such things, that the macerator pump shall
be mysteriously concealed within an inaccesible void locatable by
occultic divination, x-ray services or systematic disassembly of the
head compartment & foreship?

No...in fact, just the opposite SHOULD be true. It--and all
seacocks--should be readily accessible for use and servicing. If yours
isn't, and you left it where it was, re-read #1 above.

--
Peggie
----------

Peggie Hall wrote:

Sometimes spelled "yacht."

Hmmm...it sounds like she's going to hit the "general instruction
mode"... ;-)

There are a few tricks that make re-hosing a bit easier:

1. As is true of most jobs, planning and prep are 90% of a successful
project.

Told ya LOL

So if the tank is in a completely inaccessible place, or the
plumbing run is ridiculously convoluted, or the tank is much further
than about 6' from the toilet, there is no law requiring you repeat the
same errors. Take the time to investigate how to do it better...if
necessary, cut hatches to create access (it's not hard to do, and worth
the effort)...reroute the plumbing...even move the d'd tank!

None were a concern...at this time. But were I going to the trouble to
reorder & rearrange a whole system access, runs & config, I'd be better
off to rearange it for piping.

2. Before you start, measure the OD (outer diameter) of the
fittings....'cuz some nominal 1.5" fittings are actual 1 5/8"--or
they're metric and slightly larger than 1.5", which can make putting
toothpaste back into a tube a walk in the park compared to trying to get
a 1.5" hose onto 'em. Avoid gray PVC 1.5" tank fittings...use marelon or
nylon fittings. Btw, this anomaly only seems to apply to 1.5"...other
sizes are likely to be true.

Ya think...?

But when you start changing out bronze seacocks afloat because their
(decades-standard & perfectly correct) hose fitting OD is on the fat
side for the new vinyl sadistic hose, lemme know.

3. Removing the old hose and running the new hose can often be made
easier by doing both at the same time: cut the ends of the old and the
new hose as cleanly as possible. Put 'em together on a male-male
connector, butting the ends as tightly as possible...you want the
smoothest unbroken surface possible...Use PVC cement to make sure both
hoses STAY on the connector...do NOT use duct tape--it won't hold if you
hit a snag...hose clamps will get caught on something. When you've got
all the hose pulled through, cut the new hose off behind the connector.

Great tip!

4. Don't try to make any hose bend tighter than it wants to bend
willingly...heating a hose to bend it will damage the hose, resulting in
a kink or even a tear.

....drumming fingers...

Instead, break it and insert an inline radius
fitting. Putting two ends onto a fitting is also a LOT easier than
wrestling a hose around a "corner."

Wasn't an issue, but that inserts a major obstruction to smooth flow, &
is beginning to negate the seemingly sole advantage of hose over a good
piping job...

5. When you're finally ready to start putting hoses onto fittings, it'll
go a lot easier if you warm the hose a bit.

....coulda sworn I went there...

A lot of owners like to put
the end of the hose in hot water for a couple of minutes...I've always
found it easier to use a blow dryer. Use a heat gun ONLY if you know
what you're doing with one...'cuz overheating the hose will damage it.
Lubricating both the hose and the fitting with a little dishwashing
liquid--or better yet, K-Y surgical jelly--will help the hose go onto
any fitting that isn't bigger than it's supposed to be.

The water trick's unworkable in tight spaces & the other 2 require
hi-watt 120vac, which is why the heatlamp gets useful - anything worth
doing takes watchfullness...

6. Double clamp all connections, putting the screws on opposite sides of
the hose--or at least offset a minimum of 90 degrees.

SOP

1) How may anyone effect a voyage repair aboard a small craft at sea
with this stuff?

Do it as PREVENTIVE maintenance before you leave the dock, and you won't
have to do it at sea unless you turn into the "Man Without a Country,"
unable to make landfall anywhere ever again.

I feel this is copout reasoning (not in the personal sense please).

2) Does this material become irreparable with age due to changes in
properties?

No...but sea water minerals can build up in it if allowed to (it can be
prevented), and sooner or later it will become permeated with odor.

I referred to a section of hose which responded oppositely to warming &
could no longer be made to accommodate a fitting it had been fitted
correctly to 27 years ago.

3) Is there some compelling reason why reinforced rubber hose with a
suitable polymer barrier - which requires no heating or dubbing around
& clamps better besides - isn't in general use?

Any hose that would slide onto a fitting without any effort would slide
off almost as easily...and prob'ly would leak too.

You're getting a little creative - "without any effort" wasn't there,
consider the hoses in your vehicle - if it isn't electric or sail
powered. :-)

4) Beyond the obvious end treatments, is there some method of making
larger sizes of this "interesting" but uncooperative & pricy product
more easily routed in tighter spaces/radii?

See 1-5 above.

IOW, "no" - I can accept that.

5) Is there some compelling reason why yacht waste piping doesn't more
commonly employ rigid sched 40 DWV?

Several reasons: 1. unless every connection to any fixed component in
the system (toilet, tank, thru-hull, y-valve, etc) is "soft coupled"
with enough hose to cushion shock and protect from flexing,

SOP - many decades...

hard PVC is
likely to crack, especially in cold weather.

Not. (incompetently piped?)

And then there's the need
for unions in anything but a long straight run. Making all those
connections is so labor intensive that the cost of it compared to just
running hose is too high.

Have you never worked with PVC fittings & layout? It is very fast &
easy.

(yes we know about sweeps &
expansion joints) In the case of blackwater wouldn't it last far
longer & be more vapor-impermeable? (not to mention that you could
*work* on it, pitch it so it'd drain & clean it if/when needed) I'm
not seeing an advantage to a very pricy hose that has R/R issues,
offers no timesavings in fitup, seems dicey to have to deal with at sea
& often (I am told) lasts only 2-3 years.

That's not true...white PVC or black rubber hose can last decades with
no deterioration, provided it hasn't been overheated, bent too tightly
or hasn't been chafed through by poor installation. The only reason most
hose is replaced is because it becomes permeated with odor and stinks.

Which is exactly what I was talking about.

The hose is otherwise fine. As a general rule, the stiffer the hose, the
less likely it is to become permeated with odor...the softer it is, the
more likely. Many owners don't realize that not all white PVC hose is
created equal or rated for sanitation...so they use hot tub hose from
the hardware store because it's considerably cheaper than sanitation hose.

I tried to caption the matter "marine sanitation hose"...

What am I missing here? ;-)

Nothing that most boat owners aren't also missing.

So, far, I am thinking even moreso that most boat owners are missing
all the benefits of simple, properly properly piped, inexpensive,
never-stinks, long-lived, easily maintained PVC.

Bonus Q for the jaded: is there a implicit, international agreement
among those plan & specify such things, that the macerator pump shall
be mysteriously concealed within an inaccesible void locatable by
occultic divination, x-ray services or systematic disassembly of the
head compartment & foreship?

No...in fact, just the opposite SHOULD be true. It--and all
seacocks--should be readily accessible for use and servicing.

I didn't realize a macerator pump was called a seacock by boating
peopleg. But I've seen a lot of USCG people call whole piping
systems & tanks things they totally aren't during compliance
inspections on larger vessels, so I'm used to it. :-)

If yours
isn't, and you left it where it was, re-read #1 above.

Mine? Not on your life. If you mean the macerator pump, it is
unreasonable to disassemble a significant portion of the guy's interior
in the middle of his season without any other cause.

ISTM you may be doing a better job of making my case (which began as a
question) than I am. I haven't noted any general advantage of this
hose product over piping.

Skip Gundlach

PVC, as you say, is, indeed, easy to work with.

I did that in the space I thought I'd never get to use it in, the
forward head, for all the reasons you're aware of. That the directions
changed frequently merely required me to make more sweep joints, not
prevented me from putting it in. Actually, it likely went in easier
than a single length of that hard white hose. Meanwhile, I believe
Peggie is referring to paid labor costs vs hose cost; if you discount
your time value, and it's feasible, the PVC is a drop in the bucket in
boat costs.

I supported it/fixed it tightly with clamps any place which could
(possibly - it was pretty tight just sitting there) move, so I
*believe* I have it safely put. You can see pix of the adventure in
the section of my gallery on repairs at
http://justpickone.org/skip/gallery/...=64 0&start=0
and click on 405 and 4267, both April folders. The first page on both
shows the PVC stuff. Anyone interested is welcome to wander around the
other folders (get to them by clicking on the highlights at the top of
the page) to see what I've been up to in the last couple of months
aboard.

I'm currently waiting for the finishing of the electrical in the engine
room, and the bilge pump relocation under the aft head, to see if I can
hard pipe that one. Originally I thought that one would be a piece of
cake, but it turned out most likely to be impractical, so I have the
appropriate length of the expensive (but nearly half the cost of the
other supplier!) aussieglobe.com sanitation hose.

FWIW, the PVC discussion comes up fairly often; a search of the
archives will give you lots of food for thought if you have a second
head to deal with, later...

L8R

Skip, refitting as fast as I can

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig
http://tinyurl.com/384p2 - The vessel as Tehamana, as we bought her

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Peggie Hall

2. Before you start, measure the OD (outer diameter) of the
fittings....'cuz some nominal 1.5" fittings are actual 1 5/8"--or
they're metric and slightly larger than 1.5", which can make putting
toothpaste back into a tube a walk in the park compared to trying to get
a 1.5" hose onto 'em. Avoid gray PVC 1.5" tank fittings...use marelon or
nylon fittings. Btw, this anomaly only seems to apply to 1.5"...other
sizes are likely to be true.

Ya think...?

Yep.

But when you start changing out bronze seacocks afloat because their
(decades-standard & perfectly correct) hose fitting OD is on the fat
side for the new vinyl sadistic hose, lemme know.

If it's impractical to replace the seacock, buy hose that'll fit it.
Hose sizes aren't limited to only the ones shown in the marine retail
catalogs, and a splice to mate a section of hose to a seacock is
preferable to stretching a hose to the point of tearing it to get it
onto an oversized seacock.

Wasn't an issue, but that inserts a major obstruction to smooth flow, &
is beginning to negate the seemingly sole advantage of hose over a good
piping job...

What's the difference between an inline radius fitting in a hose and one
in hard pipe? Plus, radius fittings in a hose are only required for
tight bends...because hard pipe doesn't bend more than few degrees,
you're likely to need a lot more of 'em in hard pipe than in hose.

6. Double clamp all connections, putting the screws on opposite sides of
the hose--or at least offset a minimum of 90 degrees.

SOP

To you maybe...but you're not the only person who reads NGs.

1) How may anyone effect a voyage repair aboard a small craft at sea
with this stuff?

You shouldn't have to if you've done it before you left--and have done
it right.

Do it as PREVENTIVE maintenance before you leave the dock, and you won't
have to do it at sea unless you turn into the "Man Without a Country,"
unable to make landfall anywhere ever again.

I feel this is copout reasoning (not in the personal sense please).

No, it's not (and I didn't take it personally). Most emergency repairs
at sea can be avoided if preventive maintenance is done at the
dock....but too many boat owners ignore preventive maintenance in favor
only fixing what breaks. Some--especially engine repairs--may be
unavoidable...but there's no valid excuse for a seacock or hose
connection failure at sea.

I referred to a section of hose which responded oppositely to warming &
could no longer be made to accommodate a fitting it had been fitted
correctly to 27 years ago.

I've never heard of heat shrinking a hose (not saying it's impossible,
just never heard of it happening)...I have heard of hose that was
stretched too much to get it onto an oversized fitting not shrinking to
fit tight again though.

Several reasons: 1. unless every connection to any fixed component in
the system (toilet, tank, thru-hull, y-valve, etc) is "soft coupled"
with enough hose to cushion shock and protect from flexing,

SOP - many decades...

Again...to YOU maybe, but not to someone else who's about the tackle
this job for the first time.

hard PVC is
likely to crack, especially in cold weather.

Not. (incompetently piped?)

Incompetently piped is only one cause. Schedule 40 gets very brittle
below 40F. Even a sharp rap against a dock can crack it. The kinds of
stresses a boat can be subjected to in a storm at sea can crack sch 40
even in warm temps. PVC glue can crack, resulting in a leak.

Have you never worked with PVC fittings & layout? It is very fast &
easy.

You've obviously never had to pay for labor. 5 extra minutes per
union on your own boat is one thing...multiply that by several hundred
or even several thousand boats, and the cost to builders becomes
prohibitive.

In the case of blackwater wouldn't it last far
longer & be more vapor-impermeable?

More impermeable, yes. But the stresses on the glue in unions results in
more maintenance (or repairs at sea).

(not to mention that you could
*work* on it, pitch it so it'd drain & clean it if/when needed)

It shouldn't ever be necessary to remove a piece of hose OR pipe to
clean it out or remove a clog (the operative word in that sentence being
"shouldn't"). Regular doses of white vinegar will prevent sea water
mineral buildup--and even dissolve it, though muriatic acid is faster.
And unless someone has flushed something they shouldn't have--which a
guest is far more likely to do than an owner, making that highly
unlikely at sea--an "overload" of solids and quick-dissolve TP will
dissolve by itself in an hour. Again, it comes down to preventive
maintenance...and using top quality hose.

AVS96, made an Australian company
http://www.aussieglobe.com/avs96.htm
has been proven in independent testing to be at least 16x more resistant
to odor permeation than any other hose on the planet. It was the hose
that SeaLand originally sold exclusively in the US as their "OdorSafe"
brand, now sold direct--and for a LOT less than SeaLand charged for
it...$5.50/ft, cut to any length. I've yet to see it permeate unless an
owner has used bleach or household chemical bowl cleaners.

not seeing an advantage to a very pricy hose that has R/R issues,
offers no timesavings in fitup, seems dicey to have to deal with at sea
& often (I am told) lasts only 2-3 years.

That's not true...white PVC or black rubber hose can last decades with
no deterioration, provided it hasn't been overheated, bent too tightly
or hasn't been chafed through by poor installation. The only reason most
hose is replaced is because it becomes permeated with odor and stinks.

Which is exactly what I was talking about.

The better quality the hose, and the more planning that goes into the
installation of the system (i.e. hose routing to eliminate as many low
spots as possible--and again, some preventive maintenance (i.e. fresh
water down the toilet to rinse out the hose before the boat will sit),
the less likely a hose is to permeate.

The hose is otherwise fine. As a general rule, the stiffer the hose, the
less likely it is to become permeated with odor...the softer it is, the
more likely. Many owners don't realize that not all white PVC hose is
created equal or rated for sanitation...so they use hot tub hose from
the hardware store because it's considerably cheaper than sanitation hose.

I tried to caption the matter "marine sanitation hose"...

A caption doesn't guarantee that you (or anyone else) know there's a
difference between hose that's rated for sanitation and any hose used in
a sanitation system.

What am I missing here? ;-)

Nothing that most boat owners aren't also missing.

So, far, I am thinking even moreso that most boat owners are missing
all the benefits of simple, properly properly piped, inexpensive,
never-stinks, long-lived, easily maintained PVC.

So? It's your boat...if you want to use hard PVC, use it!

Bonus Q for the jaded: is there a implicit, international agreement
among those plan & specify such things, that the macerator pump shall
be mysteriously concealed within an inaccesible void locatable by
occultic divination, x-ray services or systematic disassembly of the
head compartment & foreship?

No...in fact, just the opposite SHOULD be true. It--and all
seacocks--should be readily accessible for use and servicing.

I didn't realize a macerator pump was called a seacock by boating
peopleg.

You apparently missed the word "and"... All the components in the
system--y-valves, pumps (manual or electric) AND seacocks--should be
readily accessible. Regrettably, as "decor" has replaced safety, that's
something many boat builders are ignoring. As a result, owners (some of
whom shouldn't even own boats) leave seacocks open all the time, never
inspect hose connections...some don't even know where half (any?) of
their their thru-hulls are. And when a hose connection fails due to lack
of maintenance, they can't close the seacock even if they can find it
'cuz it's frozen open.

ISTM you may be doing a better job of making my case (which began as a
question) than I am. I haven't noted any general advantage of this
hose product over piping.

As I said...it's your boat...

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/store/custo...0&cat=6&page=1
oceannavagator

I feel for ya guy, I solved my problem by using a product called "Spa
Hose"
with it you can use standard Sch. 40 or 80 slip fittings and PVC cement
to make the the connections. I also use sch. 80 PVC pipe to make
straight runs. I still use standard marine sanitation hose to connect
to the through hull. I have no Head odor from the system and no leaks
whatsoever.
Mike.
PS. The spa hose is cheaper than pvc sanitation hose from waste marine
and other than the outside diameter there is no differance.

wrote:
[...]

Peggie Hall

One more time: it's YOUR boat. Pipe it any way you want to and live the
with consequences. If you're lucky--and also more competent and
knowledgable than the "average bear," you won't have any negative
consequences...but I've learned from experience that it's hard to go
wrong tailoring advice to the lowest common denominator.

The real question is: how far removed from the lowest common denomator
are you? These days, a lot of boat owners aren't as far as they'd like
to think they are. Otoh, those who are smart enough to find their way
here are usually are smarter than "the average bear.' At least the
questions I see about sanitation systems seem to indicated that they are.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/store/custo...0&cat=6&page=1
Peter Wiley

In article , Peggie Hall
wrote:

hard PVC is
likely to crack, especially in cold weather.

Not. (incompetently piped?)

Incompetently piped is only one cause. Schedule 40 gets very brittle
below 40F. Even a sharp rap against a dock can crack it. The kinds of
stresses a boat can be subjected to in a storm at sea can crack sch 40
even in warm temps. PVC glue can crack, resulting in a leak.

I really wonder about this. First, not all yachts have hulls that are
all that flexible - steel boats in particular. Second, PVC *is* used on
commercial fishing boats all the time, and it works well. Third, there
are low temp plastics available. Fourth, PVC glue *can* crack, but
rarely does if the joint is done properly - cleaned, primed then glued.
It's a solvent cement rather than a glue.

There are also other plastic products. I'm thinking of pressure rated
black plastic pipe widely used on farms worldwide. The fittings are a
bit on the bulky side but work very well. Some pipework on my country
place has been exposed to UV and heat/cold cycles for 20 years now,
under 10 metres of water head pressure. No leaks.

Have you never worked with PVC fittings & layout? It is very fast &
easy.

You've obviously never had to pay for labor. 5 extra minutes per
union on your own boat is one thing...multiply that by several hundred
or even several thousand boats, and the cost to builders becomes
prohibitive.

Yeah, but that's a different argument. We all know builders of anything
need to look at costings, esp when any potential problem is going to
happen far enough in the future to be not theirs.

In the case of blackwater wouldn't it last far
longer & be more vapor-impermeable?

More impermeable, yes. But the stresses on the glue in unions results in
more maintenance (or repairs at sea).

I really doubt this is true, if the hull is rigid enough and the
pipework is well supported. Personally I think the whole business of
running flex hose everywhere is plain crazy and a throwback to a time
where the choices were flex hose or metal pipework.

Put it this way - I spend some months of every year on an icebreaker
bashing about in sea ice. It's COLD, the hull is cold, there's a hell
of a lot of vibration, shuddering and shock loads that the average boat
NEVER sees. There's a hell of a lot of PVC piping for the toilet
systems, potable water systems etc etc on that ship. Sure, the final
runs are all welded steel pipe, but the point is, we *don't* have
massive and continual failures of the PVC pipework, despite cold and
vibration.

Haven't decided what I'll use, but flex hose will be considered only
when I can't use something better. If the flex hose is better
structurally than rigid pipework, why don't commercial vessels use it?

PDW
Sam

Bonus Q for the jaded: is there a implicit, international agreement
among those plan & specify such things, that the macerator pump shall
be mysteriously concealed within an inaccesible void locatable by
occultic divination, x-ray services or systematic disassembly of the
head compartment & foreship?

- f.

Yes, as that correctly blocks access to cheap plastic thru-hulls,
batteries, rusty stainless steel hose-clamps and other various
mechanical and electrical doodads and connections, not to mention
mysterious leaks and odors. Sam

2005 West Marine catalog announed [email protected] General 23 March 5th 05 02:48 PM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Best holding tank chemicals. Chuck Baier Cruising 14 April 22nd 04 09:49 PM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM
The same people Simple Simon ASA 28 July 23rd 03 03:20 PM