Mic

Default Swamp Cooler

A Boat application??

http://www.wind-sun.com/smf/index.php?topic=973.0

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/AF-330.html

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/AF-320.html

http://www.air-n-water.com/faq_swamp.htm

"Read how do swamp coolers work.

An evaporative cooler produces effective cooling by combining a
natural process - water evaporation - with a simple, reliable
air-moving system. Fresh air is pulled through moist pads where it is
cooled by evaporation and circulated through a house or room by a fan.
As this happens, the temperature of the air in the air stream can be
lowered by as much as 20 degrees."
Vito

"Larry" wrote
(Mic) wrote
A Boat application??

Of course, they don't work well in high humidity environments like MARINAS
or OCEANS....

I think Larry hit the nail on the head. Swamp coolers worked well in the
South West where humidity is very low but I suspect anywhere near water the
humidity they add would make up for any temp drop and you'd be as much or
more uncomfortable.

Larry

"Vito" wrote in
:

more uncomfortable.

Not to mention the COLDER bulkheads of the hull DRIPPING with all that
water....yecch.

--
Larry

This jerk called my cellphone and was nasty.
Continental Warranty -- MCG Enterprises -- Mepco-
24955 Pacific Coast HWY Suite C303
Malibu California 90265
888-244-0925
Fax: 310-456-8844
Email:
Read about them he
http://www.ripoffreport.com/view.asp...3&view=printer
Terry Spragg

Larry wrote:

"Vito" wrote in
:

more uncomfortable.

Not to mention the COLDER bulkheads of the hull DRIPPING with all that
water....yecch.

Not if you use a heat exchanger type. Polypropelene signboard
sandwiched loosely with geotex wick, seperate forced air through the
channels in the signboard and through the geotex channels comes out
a little more humid, but a condensation chamber and then a re-heater
using exhaust air can dry the slightly re-warmed, cooled, drier air.
Even an old radiator circulating sea water to cool air could be a
huge relief. The only power draw would be for the water pump and for
the fan, which needs to be a little stronger than a mere electric
motor fan cooled by the cabin air, a hugely inefficient comfort
generator, actually a heater.

Terry K

Keith Hughes

Terry Spragg wrote:
Larry wrote:
Not to mention the COLDER bulkheads of the hull DRIPPING with all that
water....yecch.

Not if you use a heat exchanger type.

Uhm...you haven't lived with a swamp cooler much have you? Come to
Phoenix in August, we'll help you 'see the light' :-)

Polypropelene signboard
sandwiched loosely with geotex wick, seperate forced air through the
channels in the signboard and through the geotex channels comes out a
little more humid,

It comes out a *lot* more humid, or it doesn't cool much. The delta-t is
directly proportional to the evaporated mass and the latent heat of
vaporization.

Here in the desert, you can get a delta-t of 20°F with no problem, at
6500 cfm, when the RH is 10%. When the RH gets 30-40% and the dew
point is 60°F, that delta-t drops to a couple of degrees, and 100%RH
indoors. BTDT, got the wet T-shirt.

but a condensation chamber

Which has to be actively cooled to work (or it will very soon be too
warm to work at all).

and then a re-heater using
exhaust air can dry the slightly re-warmed, cooled, drier air.

Roughly translated to air the same temp as you started with.

Even an
old radiator circulating sea water to cool air could be a huge relief.

Totally different concept, and IMO, a much better approach than swamp
cooling. I've never been on the water, on either coast, where the RH and
dew point were low enough for a swamp to work.

The only power draw would be for the water pump and for the fan, which
needs to be a little stronger than a mere electric motor fan cooled by
the cabin air, a hugely inefficient comfort
generator, actually a heater.

Depends on the water temp, and the size and effectiveness of the heat
exchanger. In San Diego where we sail, it's a great solution. In
southern Florida...A/C gets my vote :-)

Keith Hughes
Larry

Terry Spragg wrote in
:

Even an old radiator circulating sea water to cool air could be a
huge relief. The only power draw would be for the water pump and for

Seawater temperature is about 84F in Charleston.....not much cool in the
water, now....

--
Larry

This jerk called my cellphone and was nasty.
Continental Warranty -- MCG Enterprises -- Mepco-
24955 Pacific Coast HWY Suite C303
Malibu California 90265
888-244-0925
Fax: 310-456-8844
Email:
Read about them he
http://www.ripoffreport.com/view.asp...3&view=printer
Don White

Larry wrote:
Terry Spragg wrote in
:

Even an old radiator circulating sea water to cool air could be a
huge relief. The only power draw would be for the water pump and for

Seawater temperature is about 84F in Charleston.....not much cool in the
water, now....

You want cool seawater....??
58.3 F at my home port.
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=44258
Larry

Keith Hughes wrote in
:

we'll help you 'see the light' :-)

I wonder what ever happened to ROVAC?

Back in the 60's, some physics professor invented a freon-less air
conditioner called ROVAC, or something like that. His invention was
actually the continuous rotary compressor-recoverer, a highly efficient,
high volume air compressor that raised a mighty volume of air up to 120
PSI. The compression, of course, raised the temperature of the air to
several hundred degrees. This was passed through a high-volume radiator
with ram/forced air running through it to cool the heat of compression.
The other side of this radiator went back to the OTHER side of the rovac
compressor where it released a lot of its pressure energy back pushing the
vanes of the good professor's compressor to repower the compression of more
air being sucked into the intake. The resultant air coming out of this
side of the compressor, dropped back to room pressure was +4F outlet
temperature with +95F going in. Unfortunately, at least temporarily, this
very cold outlet temperature condensed the water vapor in the air directly
into snow, but one of the big filter manufacturers came to the rescue by
designing an intake/outlet filter that collected the snow and used some of
the cold to transfer energy from the intake to the exhaust, bringing the
temperature of the exhaust above freezing so the water could be melted off
it. Cooling the intake air, of course, made it denser and much more
efficient.

The professor's (I've forgotten his name) original intent was a freon-less
cooling system for meat packers plagued with dried out meat from normal
refridgeration, which dehumidified the meat storage something awful. The
professor's water could be re-humidified into the meat lockers to recover
the humidity and protect the meat from drying out.

Chrysler had other ideas! They built a ROVAC into a full size Plymouth
Fury, loaded it up with 6 hot engineers and drove the car across the Mohave
Desert where the temperature was over 110F. ROVAC got the temperature of
the 6 engineer-stuffed car down to the mid 50F range in no time at all by
the time the test was over, using FAR less energy than the normal R-12 car
air conditioner that could have never accomplished this temperature in its
wildest dreams.

Then, someone buried it.....never to be heard from again.....I suppose Du
Pont or some other freon producer was instrumental in protecting his
turf....

Anyone know what happened to ROVAC? Can we drive it directly from the
shaft like a shaft alternator?...(c;

http://www.ingelheim-consulting.de/h...fuel_cell.html
http://www.delphion.com/details?pn=US03956904__
(PATENT No. 03956904)
http://www.frperc.bris.ac.uk/res/res5.htm
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4017285.html
(oops PATENT No. 4017285?)

--
Larry

This jerk called my cellphone and was nasty.
Continental Warranty -- MCG Enterprises -- Mepco-
24955 Pacific Coast HWY Suite C303
Malibu California 90265
888-244-0925
Fax: 310-456-8844
Email:
Read about them he
http://www.ripoffreport.com/view.asp...3&view=printer
Mic

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:58:16 GMT, Don White
wrote:

Larry wrote:
Terry Spragg wrote in
:

Even an old radiator circulating sea water to cool air could be a
huge relief. The only power draw would be for the water pump and for

Seawater temperature is about 84F in Charleston.....not much cool in the
water, now....

You want cool seawater....??
58.3 F at my home port.
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=44258

Kind of off topic but I take a 2 liter cola in the plastic bottle from
the fridge and wrap it with 2 paper towels and cello tape and it stays
cool for over 3 hours.....and no condensation...

A sort of make your own temp. thermos....

I wondered why in Bahamas portable canned drinks were drunk out of a
paper bag... it reduces condensation and keeps it cooler
longer...imagine just that paper towel or bag.....