Larry

Keith Hughes wrote in
:

we'll help you 'see the light' :-)

I wonder what ever happened to ROVAC?

Back in the 60's, some physics professor invented a freon-less air
conditioner called ROVAC, or something like that. His invention was
actually the continuous rotary compressor-recoverer, a highly efficient,
high volume air compressor that raised a mighty volume of air up to 120
PSI. The compression, of course, raised the temperature of the air to
several hundred degrees. This was passed through a high-volume radiator
with ram/forced air running through it to cool the heat of compression.
The other side of this radiator went back to the OTHER side of the rovac
compressor where it released a lot of its pressure energy back pushing the
vanes of the good professor's compressor to repower the compression of more
air being sucked into the intake. The resultant air coming out of this
side of the compressor, dropped back to room pressure was +4F outlet
temperature with +95F going in. Unfortunately, at least temporarily, this
very cold outlet temperature condensed the water vapor in the air directly
into snow, but one of the big filter manufacturers came to the rescue by
designing an intake/outlet filter that collected the snow and used some of
the cold to transfer energy from the intake to the exhaust, bringing the
temperature of the exhaust above freezing so the water could be melted off
it. Cooling the intake air, of course, made it denser and much more
efficient.

The professor's (I've forgotten his name) original intent was a freon-less
cooling system for meat packers plagued with dried out meat from normal
refridgeration, which dehumidified the meat storage something awful. The
professor's water could be re-humidified into the meat lockers to recover
the humidity and protect the meat from drying out.

Chrysler had other ideas! They built a ROVAC into a full size Plymouth
Fury, loaded it up with 6 hot engineers and drove the car across the Mohave
Desert where the temperature was over 110F. ROVAC got the temperature of
the 6 engineer-stuffed car down to the mid 50F range in no time at all by
the time the test was over, using FAR less energy than the normal R-12 car
air conditioner that could have never accomplished this temperature in its
wildest dreams.

Then, someone buried it.....never to be heard from again.....I suppose Du
Pont or some other freon producer was instrumental in protecting his
turf....

Anyone know what happened to ROVAC? Can we drive it directly from the
shaft like a shaft alternator?...(c;

http://www.ingelheim-consulting.de/h...fuel_cell.html
http://www.delphion.com/details?pn=US03956904__
(PATENT No. 03956904)
http://www.frperc.bris.ac.uk/res/res5.htm
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4017285.html
(oops PATENT No. 4017285?)

--
Larry

This jerk called my cellphone and was nasty.
Continental Warranty -- MCG Enterprises -- Mepco-
24955 Pacific Coast HWY Suite C303
Malibu California 90265
888-244-0925
Fax: 310-456-8844