Mic

Default Swamp Cooler

A Boat application??

http://www.wind-sun.com/smf/index.php?topic=973.0

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/AF-330.html

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/AF-320.html

http://www.air-n-water.com/faq_swamp.htm

"Read how do swamp coolers work.

An evaporative cooler produces effective cooling by combining a
natural process - water evaporation - with a simple, reliable
air-moving system. Fresh air is pulled through moist pads where it is
cooled by evaporation and circulated through a house or room by a fan.
As this happens, the temperature of the air in the air stream can be
lowered by as much as 20 degrees."
Vito

"Larry" wrote
(Mic) wrote
A Boat application??

Of course, they don't work well in high humidity environments like MARINAS
or OCEANS....

I think Larry hit the nail on the head. Swamp coolers worked well in the
South West where humidity is very low but I suspect anywhere near water the
humidity they add would make up for any temp drop and you'd be as much or
more uncomfortable.

Larry

"Vito" wrote in
:

more uncomfortable.

Not to mention the COLDER bulkheads of the hull DRIPPING with all that
water....yecch.

--
Larry

This jerk called my cellphone and was nasty.
Continental Warranty -- MCG Enterprises -- Mepco-
24955 Pacific Coast HWY Suite C303
Malibu California 90265
888-244-0925
Fax: 310-456-8844
Email:
Read about them he
http://www.ripoffreport.com/view.asp...3&view=printer
Terry Spragg

Larry wrote:

"Vito" wrote in
:

more uncomfortable.

Not to mention the COLDER bulkheads of the hull DRIPPING with all that
water....yecch.

Not if you use a heat exchanger type. Polypropelene signboard
sandwiched loosely with geotex wick, seperate forced air through the
channels in the signboard and through the geotex channels comes out
a little more humid, but a condensation chamber and then a re-heater
using exhaust air can dry the slightly re-warmed, cooled, drier air.
Even an old radiator circulating sea water to cool air could be a
huge relief. The only power draw would be for the water pump and for
the fan, which needs to be a little stronger than a mere electric
motor fan cooled by the cabin air, a hugely inefficient comfort
generator, actually a heater.

Terry K

Keith Hughes

Terry Spragg wrote:
Larry wrote:
Not to mention the COLDER bulkheads of the hull DRIPPING with all that
water....yecch.

Not if you use a heat exchanger type.

Uhm...you haven't lived with a swamp cooler much have you? Come to
Phoenix in August, we'll help you 'see the light' :-)

Polypropelene signboard
sandwiched loosely with geotex wick, seperate forced air through the
channels in the signboard and through the geotex channels comes out a
little more humid,

It comes out a *lot* more humid, or it doesn't cool much. The delta-t is
directly proportional to the evaporated mass and the latent heat of
vaporization.

Here in the desert, you can get a delta-t of 20°F with no problem, at
6500 cfm, when the RH is 10%. When the RH gets 30-40% and the dew
point is 60°F, that delta-t drops to a couple of degrees, and 100%RH
indoors. BTDT, got the wet T-shirt.

but a condensation chamber

Which has to be actively cooled to work (or it will very soon be too
warm to work at all).

and then a re-heater using
exhaust air can dry the slightly re-warmed, cooled, drier air.

Roughly translated to air the same temp as you started with.

Even an
old radiator circulating sea water to cool air could be a huge relief.

Totally different concept, and IMO, a much better approach than swamp
cooling. I've never been on the water, on either coast, where the RH and
dew point were low enough for a swamp to work.

The only power draw would be for the water pump and for the fan, which
needs to be a little stronger than a mere electric motor fan cooled by
the cabin air, a hugely inefficient comfort
generator, actually a heater.

Depends on the water temp, and the size and effectiveness of the heat
exchanger. In San Diego where we sail, it's a great solution. In
southern Florida...A/C gets my vote :-)

Keith Hughes
Larry

Terry Spragg wrote in
:

Even an old radiator circulating sea water to cool air could be a
huge relief. The only power draw would be for the water pump and for

Seawater temperature is about 84F in Charleston.....not much cool in the
water, now....