Larry W4CSC

Default The $81 miniature plastic box fan...

I was in Waste Marine scavenging for electrical and plumbing parts for a
friend's sloop, yesterday. Inside the front door on top of the overpriced,
no-name, Waste Marine TC-W3, there was this little plastic box fan about
12" wide/tall plugged into a deep cycle battery in a black battery box.
(Wonder if they dispose of this USED battery when they're done or put it
back in stock with the other batteries someone returned?)

There was a little plastic blade and little plastic switch with 3 speeds on
a little plastic DC motor, all made by slaves in some Asian sweatshop.

Now, Wally World sells a 20" AC box fan much larger and heavier-duty than
this little piece of crap for $20-30. Sometimes it's on sale for $14.99 or
less...and Wally is still turning a profit.

THIS LITTLE POS WAS $80.99! OVER EIGHTY DOLLARS!!???

Yachtsmen must bet much stupider than I previously suspected.......

I guess Waste Marine figgers if they'll pay $1,500 for a 4HP, 1-cylinder
outboard, they'll pay $81 for a box fan....

engsol

On Fri, 27 May 2005 09:36:30 -0400, Larry W4CSC wrote:

[...]

Larry,
I too groan at "marine" prices. When I see a giszo made of plastic, and
obviously injection molded...read manuf cost of maybe 25 cents...and the
price tag says $19.95, my BP does go up a bit.
Norm B
Gordon

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
[...]

Needed 2 stainless D rings so stopped there the other day. They were
priced at $10.99 each!!!!!!!! Went down the street to an upholstery shop
and got them for $1 each!!!!!! Had to be mismarked, maybe, you think?
Gordon

Larry W4CSC

"Gordon" wrote in
:

Needed 2 stainless D rings so stopped there the other day. They were
priced at $10.99 each!!!!!!!! Went down the street to an upholstery shop
and got them for $1 each!!!!!! Had to be mismarked, maybe, you think?
Gordon

Not at all. All the price stickers are printed by the master computer
link, aren't they, for the whole chain......

Terry Spragg

Gordon wrote:
[...]

Y'all don't understand money. To some, it is as water, easier to
spend than to save. Their time is worth more to them than the 100
bucks an hour it might take to phone around and cross the street.

You don't have to buy anything, and can always ask if they'll take a
reduced price. Try it. I saved 50 bucks at a motel one night, just
by saying, "could you give me a reduced rate?"

That was it. 35 bucks vice 85. It wasn't the finest room they had.

S'truth!

You might even ask if they've got the stainless steel without the
chrome plating. You might find a new friend just as willing as you
to hate all billionaires.

It's a great way to run any business.

I got a very nice fan off of the back of my dead microwave. It's
going on my woodstove. Shop price is about 100 bucks. My dead
computer powersupply fan will double when the power fails and I need
a 12v fan. The dump doesn't mind if I go pick out a knob, or wheel,
or a part I can't find in a catalogue.

I made a steering rig for my HR28 from 50 bucks worth of plumbing.

I shop! Some don't.

Terry K

Roger Long

There are occasional exceptions. I went to Graybar electric to get a
female shorepower plug to make an adapter to plug the boat into a
standard extension cord in the yard. The brought out the socket and
rang it up, OVER 5O BUCKS!, And, it wasn't even waterproof. I went
over to the marine store and there was the same thing from Marinco but
waterproof for 30 bucks.

OTOH I went to put a hardware store GFI into the boat and discovered
that the screws can't be removed to put terminals on and the 10 Ga
wire the boat is wired with won't fit in the terminal holes. "Of
course", I said to myself, that's why I have to pay $38.00 for the
Marinco one, so it will have marine screw terminals. I got the
Marinco one back to the boat and the terminals are identical. In fact
the whole thing was virtually identical to the $15.00 hardware store
unit. The instructions inside even said "Levitron". The only
difference I could see was that the 15 buck one has a handy LED to let
you know that it is alive where as the marine one that cost twice as
much does not.

I foolishly trashed the plastic bag instead of pulling the staple out
carefully (I won't do that again) so I shrugged and put it in using
fork terminals. At that price, it seems like I should be able to use
more secure ring terminals though.

--

Roger Long

Larry W4CSC

"Roger Long" wrote in
:

fork terminals. At that price, it seems like I should be able to use
more secure ring terminals though.

AAAAAhhhhhhKKKK!!!!!.... My captain loves spade lugs. I had to throw half
a box of lugs overboard to keep him from using them! He has no choice,
now, as there are only proper RING terminals available. The screws with
the buggered-up threads WILL unscrew out so you can get the ring terminals
on if you force 'em.

Don't you all just LOVE those push-on terminals on such unnecessary
electrical equipment as the BILGE PUMP SWITCH they sell?! PUSH ON
TERMINALS....IN A MOVING, THRASHING BOAT!

Someone should be HUNG from the yardarm!

Roger Long

The screws with
the buggered-up threads WILL unscrew out so you can get the ring
terminals
on if you force 'em.

No they won't. I learned the hard way with a previous GFI. The screw
goes into a loose square nut plate inside to clamp the wire. If you
turn it out, thinking you can force it back in as you suggest, the nut
plate falls loose inside. I tried wiggling to get gravity the get the
nut plate back in position so I could push something in the terminal
holes and get the screw back in. There are still pieces of GFI in odd
corners of my shop after I tried the next alternative of smashing the
bloody thing with a hammer.

--

Roger Long

Ken Heaton

Question below:
"Roger Long" wrote in message
The screws with
the buggered-up threads WILL unscrew out so you can get the ring
terminals
on if you force 'em.

No they won't. I learned the hard way with a previous GFI. The screw
goes into a loose square nut plate inside to clamp the wire. If you
turn it out, thinking you can force it back in as you suggest, the nut
plate falls loose inside. I tried wiggling to get gravity the get the
nut plate back in position so I could push something in the terminal
holes and get the screw back in. There are still pieces of GFI in odd
corners of my shop after I tried the next alternative of smashing the
bloody thing with a hammer.

--

Roger Long

Why does your boat have 10 gauge wire for 110v. circuits supplying max. 15
amp. loads? I'm sure your GFI is only rated for 15 amps. (or perhaps 20).
Shouldn't it be 12 gauge at the most coming from a 15 or 20 amp.
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

Roger Long

Why does your boat have 10 gauge wire for 110v. circuits supplying
max. 15
amp. loads?

Good question. There are a lot of things on this old boat I don't
understand. I think they just used the same wire for everything when
she was built. With a south Florida work crew smoking ganga
non-stop, as they did in those days, you had to keep things simple.

--

Roger Long

Fiberglass vs plastic bb General 74 March 15th 11 07:53 PM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 April 30th 05 05:25 AM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 January 28th 05 05:46 AM
plastic fuel tanks Andy C UK Power Boats 7 October 20th 03 02:04 PM