Roger Long

There are occasional exceptions. I went to Graybar electric to get a
female shorepower plug to make an adapter to plug the boat into a
standard extension cord in the yard. The brought out the socket and
rang it up, OVER 5O BUCKS!, And, it wasn't even waterproof. I went
over to the marine store and there was the same thing from Marinco but
waterproof for 30 bucks.

OTOH I went to put a hardware store GFI into the boat and discovered
that the screws can't be removed to put terminals on and the 10 Ga
wire the boat is wired with won't fit in the terminal holes. "Of
course", I said to myself, that's why I have to pay $38.00 for the
Marinco one, so it will have marine screw terminals. I got the
Marinco one back to the boat and the terminals are identical. In fact
the whole thing was virtually identical to the $15.00 hardware store
unit. The instructions inside even said "Levitron". The only
difference I could see was that the 15 buck one has a handy LED to let
you know that it is alive where as the marine one that cost twice as
much does not.

I foolishly trashed the plastic bag instead of pulling the staple out
carefully (I won't do that again) so I shrugged and put it in using
fork terminals. At that price, it seems like I should be able to use
more secure ring terminals though.

--

Roger Long