John Cairns

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I just returned in shock (as usual) from the marine store. I need to
install some fenders on our marina dock before the boat arrives. The
little dongle to let me plug a regular extension cord into the 30 amp
socket so I can use my electric drill is SIXTY BUCKS! How come a 50 foot
cord with an even larger 30 amp female on the end is only fifty?

Anyway, I just need to use this thing once since the boat will become the
dongle when it gets here.

Is the 30 amp, three prong plug, a marine only item or can I get a plug of
the same kind at Home Depot and just wire it on to an old extension cord?

--

Roger Long

You didn't specify so I would guess that it wasn't a large chain like WM or
Boat/US? I like to support the local store, but I don't like to spend $10-20
extra in the process.

http://tinylink.com/?EmBgx6YIGU

I bought two adapters a couple of years ago, one a straight adapter to go
from dockside to 3 prong domestic, the other a pigtail to do the same on the
boat. Didn't spend $60 for either. Someone else suggested a cordless,
preferably 18v, if you have a hard time swallowing the cost think about the
hassle of shlepping extension cords around the boat, or your house, for that
matter. BTW, I bought my adapters to use shore power at the yard where I
store my boat (don't tell) and to hook my portable generator up to my boat
shore power inlet. A cordless drill-even a 14v-is real handy to have on the
boat.

John Cairns

Roger Long

I've been soured on cordless tools by my experience with screw
drivers. They always seem to feep out about 3/4 of the way through
the job. Whenever I go to buy new batteries, they tell me that those
batteries have now been discontinued and I'll have to buy a whole new
screwdriver, charger, and battery set. Now, you can't even get a
convenient size with separate batteries.

Sounds like the larger cordless tools may be better. Maybe it 's time
to cut the cord.

--

Roger Long

Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin

I'll second the Makita recommendation. I've a Makita 9.6 volt drill I've
been using at home and at work for 15 years. I've had to buy new batteries
several times and replace the switch once. While the design voltage and
type (NiCad vs. Nickel Metal Hydride? etc.) of batteries have changed over
the years, Makita has continued to make batteries for my drill and has
allowed for backwards compatibility on their chargers. In other words I can
walk up to any Makita charger that is the same vintage as mine or any newer
model charger and put my old battery in it and it will fit, set to the
correct voltage and type and charge it. Very handy.
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I've been soured on cordless tools by my experience with screw drivers.
They always seem to feep out about 3/4 of the way through the job.
Whenever I go to buy new batteries, they tell me that those batteries

have
now been discontinued and I'll have to buy a whole new screwdriver,
charger, and battery set. Now, you can't even get a convenient size

with
separate batteries.

Sounds like the larger cordless tools may be better. Maybe it 's time

cut the cord.

--

Roger Long

Brian Whatcott

On Sun, 01 May 2005 18:05:18 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

I just returned in shock (as usual) from the marine store. I need to
install some fenders on our marina dock before the boat arrives. The
little dongle to let me plug a regular extension cord into the 30 amp
socket so I can use my electric drill is SIXTY BUCKS! How come a 50
foot cord with an even larger 30 amp female on the end is only fifty?

Anyway, I just need to use this thing once since the boat will become
the dongle when it gets here.

Is the 30 amp, three prong plug, a marine only item or can I get a
plug of the same kind at Home Depot and just wire it on to an old
extension cord?

Hmm...you received lotsa responses to your note, posted only this
afternoon of Mayday. I was sympathetic to Padeen's note (though I
could not trace the plug he advised); and I liked the portable drill
suggestions - Makita is towards the tradesman end of the choices here.

Here's what I suggest.
1) Buy an outdoors 50 ft extension from Walmart - that's $10

2) look at the three pin NEMA configurations he
http://www.nooutage.com/nema_configurations.htm

Your note suggests that L5-30P (120V 30Amp Plug)
is the one you want. They are offered for around $5.

You can get this from a big hardware store - though this won't be a
waterproof type, so you cannot allow it to be splashed.

Cut off the moulded plug, and fix the L5-30P (if that's the one)

Be VERY sure its not a 250 volt supply you are hooking to!

After all this, remember that even if you buy the $60 real McCoy
cable, you won't be protected if you dip the live drill in the water,
no more than with the $15 approach mentioned above.
Take ca the risk is yours.

Brian Whatcott Altus, OK
Roger Long

"G&G" wrote in message
Not at our marina! Buy the good cord. If you own a boat, you can
afford it.

Don't worry. I'm a good neighbor and as worried about the electrical
environment as the next guy. When my boat gets here on the truck from
MI, it will have a proper shore power cord and I'll run everything
from that. I'm just looking for a quick and cheap way to drill some
holes in the dock in the next few days to prepare for its arrival.
There aren't even any boats out there yet.

--

Roger Long

Don White

Roger Long wrote:

Don't worry. I'm a good neighbor and as worried about the electrical
environment as the next guy. When my boat gets here on the truck from
MI, it will have a proper shore power cord and I'll run everything
from that. I'm just looking for a quick and cheap way to drill some
holes in the dock in the next few days to prepare for its arrival.
There aren't even any boats out there yet.

I'm assuming you checked around to see if you could borrow what you need
for a few hours.
Around here, most boaters are helpful if possible.
padeen

Brian, the L10-30 is a dual voltage (125/250) 3-prong, and the L14-30 is a
dual voltage 4-prong. Table accessed he
www.stayonline.com/reference/nema_twistlock.asp It's nice to know there are
sources that sell them cheaper than the electrical supply houses that I'm
used to dealing with.
Padeen

wrote:

[...]

WTB: Marine Inverter Allen McCann Cruising 91 April 10th 05 11:00 PM
Inverter question Steve Electronics 10 April 1st 05 09:40 AM
FS: Shore Power Cable in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 March 13th 04 03:07 AM
Shore Power Parallax Cruising 5 October 15th 03 02:18 PM
Using a generator for AC power in absence of shore power Zeki Gunay Electronics 1 August 7th 03 05:24 PM