John Cairns

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I just returned in shock (as usual) from the marine store. I need to
install some fenders on our marina dock before the boat arrives. The
little dongle to let me plug a regular extension cord into the 30 amp
socket so I can use my electric drill is SIXTY BUCKS! How come a 50 foot
cord with an even larger 30 amp female on the end is only fifty?

Anyway, I just need to use this thing once since the boat will become the
dongle when it gets here.

Is the 30 amp, three prong plug, a marine only item or can I get a plug of
the same kind at Home Depot and just wire it on to an old extension cord?

--

Roger Long

You didn't specify so I would guess that it wasn't a large chain like WM or
Boat/US? I like to support the local store, but I don't like to spend $10-20
extra in the process.

http://tinylink.com/?EmBgx6YIGU

I bought two adapters a couple of years ago, one a straight adapter to go
from dockside to 3 prong domestic, the other a pigtail to do the same on the
boat. Didn't spend $60 for either. Someone else suggested a cordless,
preferably 18v, if you have a hard time swallowing the cost think about the
hassle of shlepping extension cords around the boat, or your house, for that
matter. BTW, I bought my adapters to use shore power at the yard where I
store my boat (don't tell) and to hook my portable generator up to my boat
shore power inlet. A cordless drill-even a 14v-is real handy to have on the
boat.

John Cairns