padeen

Brian, the L10-30 is a dual voltage (125/250) 3-prong, and the L14-30 is a
dual voltage 4-prong. Table accessed he
www.stayonline.com/reference/nema_twistlock.asp It's nice to know there are
sources that sell them cheaper than the electrical supply houses that I'm
used to dealing with.
Padeen

"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message
On Sun, 01 May 2005 18:05:18 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

I just returned in shock (as usual) from the marine store. I need to
install some fenders on our marina dock before the boat arrives. The
little dongle to let me plug a regular extension cord into the 30 amp
socket so I can use my electric drill is SIXTY BUCKS! How come a 50
foot cord with an even larger 30 amp female on the end is only fifty?

Anyway, I just need to use this thing once since the boat will become
the dongle when it gets here.

Is the 30 amp, three prong plug, a marine only item or can I get a
plug of the same kind at Home Depot and just wire it on to an old
extension cord?

Hmm...you received lotsa responses to your note, posted only this
afternoon of Mayday. I was sympathetic to Padeen's note (though I
could not trace the plug he advised); and I liked the portable drill
suggestions - Makita is towards the tradesman end of the choices here.

Here's what I suggest.
1) Buy an outdoors 50 ft extension from Walmart - that's $10

2) look at the three pin NEMA configurations he
http://www.nooutage.com/nema_configurations.htm

Your note suggests that L5-30P (120V 30Amp Plug)
is the one you want. They are offered for around $5.

You can get this from a big hardware store - though this won't be a
waterproof type, so you cannot allow it to be splashed.

Cut off the moulded plug, and fix the L5-30P (if that's the one)

Be VERY sure its not a 250 volt supply you are hooking to!

After all this, remember that even if you buy the $60 real McCoy
cable, you won't be protected if you dip the live drill in the water,
no more than with the $15 approach mentioned above.
Take ca the risk is yours.

Brian Whatcott Altus, OK