Roger Long

Default Shore power plug

I just returned in shock (as usual) from the marine store. I need to
install some fenders on our marina dock before the boat arrives. The
little dongle to let me plug a regular extension cord into the 30 amp
socket so I can use my electric drill is SIXTY BUCKS! How come a 50
foot cord with an even larger 30 amp female on the end is only fifty?

Anyway, I just need to use this thing once since the boat will become
the dongle when it gets here.

Is the 30 amp, three prong plug, a marine only item or can I get a
plug of the same kind at Home Depot and just wire it on to an old
extension cord?

--

Roger Long

chuck

Hello Roger,

You can get a MARINCO 30 Amp plug for something like $16 at
West Marine. Still not cheap, but you won't do a whole lot
better at Home Depot. Whatever you do, please use caution.

Good luck.

Chuck

Roger Long wrote:
I just returned in shock (as usual) from the marine store. I need to
install some fenders on our marina dock before the boat arrives. The
little dongle to let me plug a regular extension cord into the 30 amp
socket so I can use my electric drill is SIXTY BUCKS! How come a 50
foot cord with an even larger 30 amp female on the end is only fifty?

Anyway, I just need to use this thing once since the boat will become
the dongle when it gets here.

Is the 30 amp, three prong plug, a marine only item or can I get a
plug of the same kind at Home Depot and just wire it on to an old
extension cord?

Ah Roger! - the wonders of the cordless drill!

padeen

It is certainly not limited to marine use. The plug you want is either a
NEMA L10-30 (3-wire) or NEMA L14-30 (4-wire). These are both 120v or 240v.
You can connect this plug to any cord you wish, as long as you are willing
to accept the responsibility of what could happen in the event of a short or
overload. If you use a relatively short (25-50') #12 weather-resistant cord
in good condition, you need only worry about the condition of the tool
you're using, as the conductors are quite capable of handling the current
required to trip a 30A breaker before fire or damage. Also, don't fail to
ascertain whether the receptacle is offering 120 or 240 volts; the
configuration could be either.
Be prepared to spend $25 for the plug . . .

Padeen

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I just returned in shock (as usual) from the marine store. I need to
install some fenders on our marina dock before the boat arrives. The
little dongle to let me plug a regular extension cord into the 30 amp
socket so I can use my electric drill is SIXTY BUCKS! How come a 50
foot cord with an even larger 30 amp female on the end is only fifty?

Anyway, I just need to use this thing once since the boat will become
the dongle when it gets here.

Is the 30 amp, three prong plug, a marine only item or can I get a
plug of the same kind at Home Depot and just wire it on to an old
extension cord?

--

Roger Long

Roger Long

The marine made all these dock corners out of 1/4" steel plate. I
think the cordless drill that will punch 20 - 30 holes in that stuff
will cost a lot more than the dongle.

--

Roger Long

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ah Roger! - the wonders of the cordless drill!

Roger Long

I plan to use an abundance of caution. First thing the cord is going
into is a GFI.

--

Roger Long

Whatever you do, please use caution.

Robert or Karen Swarts

The receptacles and plugs are not unique to marine environments. However,
they are not particularly cheap no matter where you buy one. For a one-off
deal, I'd use a battery tool or jury rig anything that will work. This is OK
while you are nearby, but do not leave such a mess wired in as your standard
shore power adapter.

A GFI will better protect you as the user of the tool attached to the line,
but offers no additional protection to the line or boat. So for a permanent
installation, definitely think about the GFI. Of course the battery tool
eliminates the shock hazard entirely.

BS

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I just returned in shock (as usual) from the marine store. I need to
install some fenders on our marina dock before the boat arrives. The
little dongle to let me plug a regular extension cord into the 30 amp
socket so I can use my electric drill is SIXTY BUCKS! How come a 50 foot
cord with an even larger 30 amp female on the end is only fifty?

Anyway, I just need to use this thing once since the boat will become the
dongle when it gets here.

Is the 30 amp, three prong plug, a marine only item or can I get a plug of
the same kind at Home Depot and just wire it on to an old extension cord?

--

Roger Long

Jeff

Roger Long wrote:
I just returned in shock (as usual) from the marine store. I need to
install some fenders on our marina dock before the boat arrives. The
little dongle to let me plug a regular extension cord into the 30 amp
socket so I can use my electric drill is SIXTY BUCKS! How come a 50
foot cord with an even larger 30 amp female on the end is only fifty?

Anyway, I just need to use this thing once since the boat will become
the dongle when it gets here.

Is the 30 amp, three prong plug, a marine only item or can I get a
plug of the same kind at Home Depot and just wire it on to an old
extension cord?

I'm a bit surprised its that expansive, but for the future, try this:
keep your eyes open for a used cord, perhaps damaged or too short.
(I have a 25 footer I got used for $20.) Then cut out the middle and
put appropriate male and female 15 Amp connectors on. You'll have
two dongles, and you'll find a use for each sooner or later.
Doug Dotson

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I just returned in shock (as usual) from the marine store. I need to
install some fenders on our marina dock before the boat arrives. The
little dongle to let me plug a regular extension cord into the 30 amp
socket so I can use my electric drill is SIXTY BUCKS! How come a 50 foot
cord with an even larger 30 amp female on the end is only fifty?

Volume.

Anyway, I just need to use this thing once since the boat will become the
dongle when it gets here.

Use a battery operated drill.

Is the 30 amp, three prong plug, a marine only item or can I get a plug of
the same kind at Home Depot and just wire it on to an old extension cord?

Yes, It is a standard 30A plug. No big deal.

--

Roger Long

Doug Dotson

We use a cordless drill to drill into SS tubing all the time. No big deal.
Buying a drill just for this project is silly. Anyway, a cordless drill
should
be pretty much standard equipment on any serious boat or any boat
owner.

"Roger Long" wrote in message
The marine made all these dock corners out of 1/4" steel plate. I think
the cordless drill that will punch 20 - 30 holes in that stuff will cost a
lot more than the dongle.

--

Roger Long

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ah Roger! - the wonders of the cordless drill!

WTB: Marine Inverter Allen McCann Cruising 91 April 10th 05 11:00 PM
Inverter question Steve Electronics 10 April 1st 05 09:40 AM
FS: Shore Power Cable in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 March 13th 04 03:07 AM
Shore Power Parallax Cruising 5 October 15th 03 02:18 PM
Using a generator for AC power in absence of shore power Zeki Gunay Electronics 1 August 7th 03 05:24 PM