captkeywest

Peggie Hall wrote:
I really did think you planned to do that.

I have NEVER had or REMOTELY EXPRESSED that intention. The truth is I
have NO DESIRE WHATSOEVER to own ANY business in the Keys. The Cost of
Living has crippled the local workforce. I shun the concept of being
an employer in the Keys, been there done that.

There's certainly nothing wrong with running a mobile pumpout
service...they can be very profitable in heavily populated ND waters.

Agree with nothing wrong with running mobile pumpout service.

I don't think the Keys fit the definition of heavily populated to that
extent: AFAIK (As Far As I Know) there are two pumpout boats in the
Keys, one in Key West and one in Marathon, both are run by
municipalities. Its been a more than a year probably closer to two or
three since my last conversation with one of the city marina managers
on pumpout issues. The complaint then, was yes; the Grant money helps
pay for the _equipment_. (The City owns its own marina but a private
individual would also be burdened with slip rent) . In the revenue vs
expense arena the expense of staffing the pumpout vessel, Even ONE
fulltime operator working 40 hrs exceeds the revenue. It was the marina
managers assertion that Grants should be available to help STAFF the
service!

On Municiple Sewage Dumping, Letter to the Editor, from todays Key West
Citizen:

New law would

protect clean water

In a time when so many of our environmental protections are being
weakened, your readers should know that some of their leaders in
Washington are standing up for clean water in Florida. The Bush
administration in Washington has a plan to allow publicly-owned sewage
treatment plants to dump untreated sewage in our waters anytime it
rains, which would be disastrous for tourism, fishing, and public
health.

Congressional Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen took a stand against this
backward-thinking idea, and The Clean Water Network would like to thank
her and ask others to do the same. Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen joined 134
other members of Congress, including 17 other Florida Congressional
Representatives, and Florida Senators Bill Nelson and Mel Martinez, in
signing a letter to the Environmental Protection Agency opposing this
policy. We applaud her leadership in protecting public health, our
economy and our waters. Now congressional leader Rep. Clay Shaw from
Ft. Lauderdale has introduced the "Save Our Waters from Sewage Act," to
try to stop EPA from moving forward with its sewage dumping policy.
Please take time to thank Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen and encourage her to
co-sponsor this important legislation.

Linda L. Young

Southeast Regional Director

Clean Water Network

Tallahassee

source of above:

http://www.keysnews.com/letterstoeditor.bsp.htm

and last, but not least ! my concerns on the Keys NDZ side with some of
the other posters
who expressed concern about nutrient loading issues. As boaters we
should be the First Line of Defense in trying to Sustain clean waters.

When we fail to control nutrient damage:

One Coral Researchers view on the front page of this weeks Solaries
Hill:

http://www.keysnews.com/weeklys/solareshill.pdf

--
Peggie
----------

and
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"

http://www.seaworthy.com/store/custo...0&cat=6&page=1

Capt. Neal®

"captkeywest" wrote in message oups.com...
Peggie Hall wrote:
[...]

snipped some

Good to see somebody else pointing out how clueless Peggie Hall is.

She's been too long sitting on her ass satisfied with mother-henning all
the mindless drones here who worship her outdated understanding of
clean water in places other than her pathetic little lake.

A tip of the full-to-the-brim cedar bucket to ya!

CN
Chris Newport

Capt. Neal® wrote:

Good to see somebody else pointing out

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL
Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen

This discussion has set me thinking about what is the final products
of the LectraSan. If it does electrolysis of sodium chloride, there is
bound to be production of sodium hypochlorite which creates
environmental problems of it own (when used for bleacing paper, for
example). When sodium hypchlorite reacts with organic matter, some toxic
organochlorines are formed. Does anyone know if this potential problem
has been investigated?

--
C++: The power, elegance and simplicity of a hand grenade.
Peggie Hall

Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen wrote:
This discussion has set me thinking about what is the final products
of the LectraSan. If it does electrolysis of sodium chloride...

It does not. The Lectra/San creates hypochlorous acid by charging the
ions in salt water with electrical current. It's a very unstable
solution...it's hypochlorous acid as long as current is being
applied...but when the stimulus (electrical current) is removed it
reverts to salt water, leaving no free chlorines in the discharge.

Does anyone know if this potential problem
has been investigated?

Extensively...your concerns are unfounded.

--
Peggie
----------
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/store/custo...0&cat=6&page=1

Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen

Strange. By their own words, they definitely do elctrolysis of sodium
chloride (snipped from raritan web site):

The process starts with salt water in the treatment tank. NaCl --
Na+ + Cl- Sodium Chloride is a strong electrolyte so it exists in
water as sodium and chloride ions.

H2O -- H+ + OH- Through hydrolysis, water breaks into hydrogen ions
and hydroxyl ions.

The electrode pack is energized during the treatment cycle and
electricity passes through the conductive salt water. Hypochlorous
acid, a powerful bactericide and oxidizing agent, is produced on the
surface of the plates.

At the Anode: 2Cl- + OH- + H+ -- HCl + HOCl + 2e- Hydrochloric acid
and hypochlorous acid are produced, liberating two electrons.

At the Cathode: 2e- + 2 H+ + 2Na+ + 2OH- -- 2 NaOH + H2 The two
electrons, hydrogen ions, sodium ions and hydroxyl ions combine to
produce sodium hydroxide and some hydrogen.

The Net Reaction is: 2Cl- + 3OH- + 3H+ + 2Na+ -- HCl + HOCl + 2NaOH +
H2 With constant mixing from both motors, the products are mixed
together for continued reactions.

NaOCl + H2O -- NaOH + HOCl Hypochlorous acid (HOCl) is formed when
sodium hypochlorite reacts with water.

HOCl + XXXX -- HCl + XXXXOx Hypochlorous acid reacts with soil, dirt,
and bacteria giving up its oxygen; leaving hydrochloric acid.

HCl + NaOH -- H2O + NaCl The hydrochloric acid reacts with the sodium
hydroxide to form salt and water.

The usual explanation of reactions in a sodium chloride cell is this,
and I wonder how they make the reactions above happen instead of the
ones below.

Sodium hypochlorite/chlorate manufacturing process:

Electrochemical and chemical reactions occurring in cells
[1] 2Cl- == Cl2 + 2e- (anodic reaction)
[7] 2H2O + 2e- == 2OH- + H2 (cathodic reaction)
[8] Cl2 + 2OH- == OCl- + Cl- + H2O (hypochlorite formation)
[9] 3OCl- == ClO3- + 2Cl- (chlorate formation)
[12] NaCl + H2O == NaOCl + H2 (overall hypochlorite reaction)
[13] NaCl + 3H2O == NaClO3 + 3H2 (overall chlorate reaction)
[14] 3Cl2 + 6NaOH == NaClO3 + 5NaCl + 3H2O (chemical chlorate
formation)

--
C++: The power, elegance and simplicity of a hand grenade.
Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen

Here is another view on the system (from a competitor, it seems :-)

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache...chlorine&hl=nl

"PH" == Peggie Hall writes:

PH Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen wrote:
This discussion has set me thinking about what is the final products
of the LectraSan. If it does electrolysis of sodium chloride...

PH It does not. The Lectra/San creates hypochlorous acid by charging the
PH ions in salt water with electrical current. It's a very unstable
PH solution...it's hypochlorous acid as long as current is being
PH applied...but when the stimulus (electrical current) is removed it
PH reverts to salt water, leaving no free chlorines in the discharge.

Does anyone know if this potential problem
has been investigated?

PH Extensively...your concerns are unfounded.

PH --
PH Peggie
PH ----------
PH Peggie Hall
PH Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987
PH Author "Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems
PH and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"

PH http://www.seaworthy.com/store/custo...0&cat=6&page=1

--
C++: The power, elegance and simplicity of a hand grenade.
Peggie Hall

Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen wrote:
Here is another view on the system (from a competitor, it seems :-)

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache...chlorine&hl=nl

A former competitor whose Type I MSD--the SeaLand SanX, which requires
the use of a formaldehyde based chemical, and barely treats to legal
standards was finally discontinued a couple of years ago. It's not just
the Lectra/San he lobbies against...it's the use of ANY treatment
device. Because the SeaLand device is the most environmentally
UNfriendly any Type I treatment device could be, he became a committed
advocate of universal "no discharge" in an effort defeat pending new
legislation that would have reduced the allowable bacteria count in the
discharge from treatment devices from it's current level of 1,000/100 ml
to 10/100 ml (which the SeaLand device could not come close to meeting,
but the Lectra/San does) and allowed the discharge of treated waste from
devices that met the new standard in all coastal waters including those
designated "no discharge." McKiernan was determined to defeat it rather
than risk losing sales of holding tanks to competitors' treatment devices.

I suggest you also read this:

http://www.raritaneng.com/pdf_files/...20Response.pdf

--
Peggie