Harry Krause

Chris Rennert wrote:
Hey all,

2 weeks ago I was running my Ranger with a 1993 Yamaha pro v 150 at about
3/4 throttle when what turns out I threw a rod. Now my motor they said
needs to be completely rebuilt. The rebuild with comes to about $6k, but
they also have a brand new 2004 Yamaha 150 horse for $8700. To me it is a
no brainer and I buy the brand new motor, but I was wondering if there is
something maybe I am taking for granted????

Thanks for your input

Chris

It certainly shows that a complete professional rebuild of a modern
outboard is a waste of money...

--
"...vice president (Cheney), I'm surprised to hear him talk about
records. When he was one of 435 members of the United States House, he

- Senator John Edwards, 10/05/04

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 16:29:47 -0500, "Chris Rennert"
wrote:

Hey all,

2 weeks ago I was running my Ranger with a 1993 Yamaha pro v 150 at about
3/4 throttle when what turns out I threw a rod. Now my motor they said
needs to be completely rebuilt. The rebuild with comes to about $6k, but
they also have a brand new 2004 Yamaha 150 horse for $8700. To me it is a
no brainer and I buy the brand new motor, but I was wondering if there is
something maybe I am taking for granted????

Ah - finally, a fellow Ranger owner.

Greetings!!!! :)

It is a no brainer. Yamaha and Suzuki are being particularly price
aggressive right now (close to dumping stock as Mercury is wanting to
claim).

What I would do is keep your engine and part it out, in particular the
lower unit - you may be also to knock that differential down to
$1,000.

Did your dealer offer to trade your old motor and for how much?

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717

BenC

Harry Krause wrote in message ...

this is only true in some cases. yes sometimes it is a no brainer, why rebuild when for a few extra dollars you can get completely new, warranty everything. here in canada there are some retail engines selling for 24k plus tax. suddenly a rebuild looks very attractive.

Chris Rennert wrote:
[...]

What are the pros and cons of a folding prop? MLapla4120 Cruising 140 September 9th 04 02:03 AM
Rigid vang...pros & cons? Tom General 1 September 4th 03 02:52 PM
Beat the Pros Bumper7 General 2 August 28th 03 02:28 PM