captkeywest

Peggie Hall wrote:
I really did think you planned to do that.

I have NEVER had or REMOTELY EXPRESSED that intention. The truth is I
have NO DESIRE WHATSOEVER to own ANY business in the Keys. The Cost of
Living has crippled the local workforce. I shun the concept of being
an employer in the Keys, been there done that.

There's certainly nothing wrong with running a mobile pumpout
service...they can be very profitable in heavily populated ND waters.

Agree with nothing wrong with running mobile pumpout service.

I don't think the Keys fit the definition of heavily populated to that
extent: AFAIK (As Far As I Know) there are two pumpout boats in the
Keys, one in Key West and one in Marathon, both are run by
municipalities. Its been a more than a year probably closer to two or
three since my last conversation with one of the city marina managers
on pumpout issues. The complaint then, was yes; the Grant money helps
pay for the _equipment_. (The City owns its own marina but a private
individual would also be burdened with slip rent) . In the revenue vs
expense arena the expense of staffing the pumpout vessel, Even ONE
fulltime operator working 40 hrs exceeds the revenue. It was the marina
managers assertion that Grants should be available to help STAFF the
service!

On Municiple Sewage Dumping, Letter to the Editor, from todays Key West
Citizen:

New law would

protect clean water

In a time when so many of our environmental protections are being
weakened, your readers should know that some of their leaders in
Washington are standing up for clean water in Florida. The Bush
administration in Washington has a plan to allow publicly-owned sewage
treatment plants to dump untreated sewage in our waters anytime it
rains, which would be disastrous for tourism, fishing, and public
health.

Congressional Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen took a stand against this
backward-thinking idea, and The Clean Water Network would like to thank
her and ask others to do the same. Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen joined 134
other members of Congress, including 17 other Florida Congressional
Representatives, and Florida Senators Bill Nelson and Mel Martinez, in
signing a letter to the Environmental Protection Agency opposing this
policy. We applaud her leadership in protecting public health, our
economy and our waters. Now congressional leader Rep. Clay Shaw from
Ft. Lauderdale has introduced the "Save Our Waters from Sewage Act," to
try to stop EPA from moving forward with its sewage dumping policy.
Please take time to thank Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen and encourage her to
co-sponsor this important legislation.

Linda L. Young

Southeast Regional Director

Clean Water Network

Tallahassee

source of above:

http://www.keysnews.com/letterstoeditor.bsp.htm

and last, but not least ! my concerns on the Keys NDZ side with some of
the other posters
who expressed concern about nutrient loading issues. As boaters we
should be the First Line of Defense in trying to Sustain clean waters.

When we fail to control nutrient damage:

One Coral Researchers view on the front page of this weeks Solaries
Hill:

http://www.keysnews.com/weeklys/solareshill.pdf

--
Peggie