Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
GeoffSchultz

Default Balancing a (KISS) wind generator

I recently had to replace 2 of the blades on my KISS wind generator due
to small cracks which I found near the mounting holes. The blades were
replaced with spares purchased at the same time that the generator was
purchased. One of the replacement blades weighs a lot more than the
other blades and none of the blades weighs the same, even in the
complete spare set. This is causing a lot of vibration.

KISS supplies a lead tape to place along the back side of the blades to
balance them. I made a scale to balance the blades such that they all
weighed the same. One blade ended up with 4" of tape, another with 12"
and one with 18". Even though they weighed the same, it was even worse
than before.

So, does anyone have any ideas how to determine who to determine where
the tape needs to be placed?

-- Geoff

P.S. I'll be out of Internet access for a few days.