Questions

Default Wind generator questions

I am doing some stainless work around the stern and would like to plan
ahead for the addition of a wind generator.

Does anyone know if they are all standardized in respect to the O.D. of
the pipe that they ride on? I would like to include the pipe now so that
when I buy the generator I can just pop it on top and wire it up. If
that is feasible.

Haven't chosen a make and model yet. I want quiet as possible, and
durable of course. Seems a tall order...especially the quiet part. I
anchored 200 yards from a boat 2 days ago that had a wind genny that
could wake the dead it was so loud! This in 18 knots of wind.

Steve

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with another boats wind
generator noise (especially in an anchorage).

To answer your question; I don't think there is a standard pole size since
these wind generators very in size and type..

I have the WindBugger and it mounts on a standard 2" schedule 40 pipe.
Since you ask about O.D., then you will have to look up or measure the OD of
this IPS size is nominal and generally comes close to the ID.

I mounted my pole base to a hinge bracket on my SS boomkin with bracing,
2/3rds the way up, to the top of my radar arch. Seems to be a very stable
arrangement. No vibration to the hull and I can hardly hear the prop. I
only become aware of noise when the wind gets up to around 18 to 20 knots
when the centrigical brake kicks in. Not a noise really, just enough to make
me aware that it is working.

In case you haven't notices, I'm very happy with my Windbugger, although I
have only had it installed for a couple weeks. Handles my liveaboard needs
at anchor (refrig, tv, lights, tools and occasional micro wave). I'm even
considering removing my Entec genset because of the wieght to usage savings.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Wind generators Nigel Boat Building 15 May 6th 04 11:02 PM
warping, tight slip, adverse wind Charles T. Low General 8 February 15th 04 11:29 PM
Look what the wind blew in Don White General 0 September 8th 03 04:34 AM
Wind or magnetism? Paul General 3 August 14th 03 03:31 PM