beldar

Default am I nuts? Wind generator question

I've got no experience with wind generation but will be jumping in with
both feet soon as we're moving to rigging for self-sufficiency. Here's
the scenario. The sailboat is 28' long. I'm looking at a KISS windgen
setup. I'm concerned about noise although the KISS unit is purportedly
one of the quietest. Please give me your thoughts about the wisdom or
lack thereof of mounting the generator at the top of the mast with the
mounting pole bracketed to the side of the mast. It's out of the way,
can rotate 360degrees and the noisemaker is placed some 40' from the
interior of the cabin. Obviously remounting an aerial or two will need
to happen and there would have to be some sort of rig to manually stall
the blades in highwind conditions. Please feel free to point out any
blatantly stupid reasons why I shouldn't be doing this...cuz I don't
know it all yet and I'm not afraid to ask!
Doug Dotson

Any wind generator (even the KISS) will generate a certain
amount of vibration. That will be transmitted down the mast
and be annoying. Most wind generators mounts have vibration
dampeners. The blade noise is fairly low in a KISS. Also, in a
really blow you need to be able to tie the blades down or even
remove them. That being said, many folks mount them on the
front of the mizzen and seem to be happy with it. All the
way at the top of the main mast may create enough weight aloft
and wind resistance to a cause some strange sailing performance.
Last thing, wind generates operate best with a nice constant flow
air through them. At the top of the mast, when the wind picks
up, the thing will be waving wildly around probably not generating
too much power and beating itself to death.

Doug (happy KISS owner)
s/v Callista

"beldar" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
[...]

Skip Gundlach

I've just seen some pictures on a Morgan OI41
http://www.dv-fansler.com/images/Ann...d%20Generator/ doing just
that - but on a mizzen. His is an aerogen, but it's very clear how it was
done, if you choose to pursue that route.

FWIW, I'm impressed with his work on his boat in general; I expect he's
given it a great deal of thought before proceeding. He'll talk to you if
you write him, too.

L8R

Skip and Lydia

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

"And then again, when you sit at the helm of your little ship on a
clear night, and gaze at the countless stars overhead, and realize
that you are quite alone on a great, wide sea, it is apt to occur to
you that in the general scheme of things you are merely an
insignificant speck on the surface of the ocean; and are not nearly
so important or as self-sufficient as you thought you were. Which is
an exceedingly wholesome thought, and one that may effect a
permanent change in your deportment that will be greatly appreciated
by your friends." - James S. Pitkin
"beldar" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
[...]

warping, tight slip, adverse wind Charles T. Low General 8 February 15th 04 11:29 PM
hybrid yatch [email protected] General 62 January 30th 04 11:10 PM
Wind or magnetism? Paul General 3 August 14th 03 03:31 PM
Wind generator questions Questions Cruising 1 July 29th 03 07:14 PM