Ed

Default safe to run generator without engine room fans running?

I looked at FP and after reading the newsgroups I went with a NExtGEN
5.5 as well. Same backend as yours but a bigger engine. I couldn't fit
the factory shield in my small space so I made one as well with the fan
etc. SO far so good... only a few early problems with an OP sensor and
a CAP but no problems since then.

Geoffrey W. Schultz wrote:
Space was a big consideration, as well as NOT having a 3600 RPM motor.
The motor, a horizontal 7 HP Kubota running at 2900 RPM, is the most
common motor in the world and parts can be obtained anywhere. The
remainder of the parts can be easily obtained, which is very important
when cruising in parts of the world where getting parts is a major
consideration.

My Fischer Panda 4.2 mini was an absolute nightmare. Another boat that
I keep bumping into has the same generator and he claims that he chooses
his ports of call based upon where he can get parts to repair it. He
literally has a complete spare generator that he cannibalizes. If
you're interested in my history with Fischer Panda, do a Google search
on my name and the words Fischer Panda. I wish you a lot of luck!

Oh, the FP is only peak rated at 4.2 KW, not continuous. You're only
supposed to run it at the full rating for short periods of time. You
can run continuously run it at 2/3rds of its rating, which translates to
2.8 KW. The NextGen has a 9 KW generator backend and can be run at its
full 3.5 KW continuously.

- Geoff

"Rick & Linda Bernard" wrote in
:

Why did you chose NexGen? I have a 4KW FP - no problems (yet).

"Geoffrey W. Schultz" wrote in message
7.77.23...

I just replaced my &*@#(!* Fischer Panda generator with a NextGen 3.2

KW

unit and lined the generator compartment with 2" lead damped
soundproofing. I also added a 120V squirrel cage blower that comes

on

when the generator is running. I find that I need it becuase it gets
too hot in the compartment without it.

NextGen recommends that the maximum intake temp into the windings

should

be no more than 140 F, and with the fan I have no problems obtaining
that. I actually pull the air out by the engine end and exhaust it
overboard. I have a a separate hose feed fresh air to the generator
end.

-- Geoff

"Henrik Bruun" wrote in
:

I just had a new 5kw generator with soundshield professionally
installed in the engine room of our boat and was looking for
opinions/advice on the need for running the engine room fans
continuously during operation of the generator..... do I need to

run

them? or are they only needed for a few minutes prior to initial

start

to clear engine room of any fumes that may have settled?

Geoffrey W. Schultz

Ed,

Best of luck with the NextGen. It seems to be well built and reasonably
marinized. Mine has been purring away without any problems, and there's
a huge difference in the tone of an engine thats running at 2900 RPM vs
balls to the wall at 3600 RPM.

-- Geoff

Geoffrey W. Schultz wrote:
[...]

17.77.23...