rhys

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 23:50:01 -0000, "Graham Frankland"
gdfltdatnospamglobalnet.co.uk wrote:

"rhys" wrote in message
.. .
Even if the boat's hit by lightning and immediately sinks, I have a
handheld VHF and GPS in a sealed "go" box, and even a pelorus.

Do you think they will still be working after a lightening strike - unless
of course they're in a sealed metal "go" box?

Of course!

R.
rhys

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 10:04:46 -0000, "Duncan Heenan"
wrote:

This thread now illustrates the dangers of cross posting, especially to an
American NG.

I'm Canadian and hold a British passport. So what's the debate about
Ellen's win? I haven't heard anything since she finished.

R.
Pete Verdon

rhys wrote:
wrote:

This thread now illustrates the dangers of cross posting, especially to an
American NG.

I'm Canadian and hold a British passport. So what's the debate about
Ellen's win? I haven't heard anything since she finished.

It's not a widespread controversy, or even a controversy at all really.
A few regulars on UKRS[1] have been conducting a long-drawn-out argument
about something to do with Ellen. I'm not sure what the exact premise
is; "the exact degree of impressiveness of her feat" seems to about
cover it. Just newsgroup blather - ignore it.

Pete

[1] Including one who freely admits that his main reason for posting to
Usenet is to antagonize people.[2]
[2] But we love him really.
rhys

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 23:22:02 +0000, Pete Verdon
d wrote:

rhys wrote:
wrote:

This thread now illustrates the dangers of cross posting, especially to an
American NG.

I'm Canadian and hold a British passport. So what's the debate about
Ellen's win? I haven't heard anything since she finished.

It's not a widespread controversy, or even a controversy at all really.
A few regulars on UKRS[1] have been conducting a long-drawn-out argument
about something to do with Ellen. I'm not sure what the exact premise
is; "the exact degree of impressiveness of her feat" seems to about
cover it. Just newsgroup blather - ignore it.

I will. Half the people here couldn't sail 500 miles, never mind
35,000, singlehanded in a 60 foot tri. The other 50% will admit they
can't.

Her feat remains impressive. She's under 30 and five foot two. Most
circumnavigators are older (more experienced), bigger and stronger.

R.
sailct41

A quick rule of thumb if I remember correctly is to take the distance they
have traveled in 3 minutes and drop two zeros and that is the ship speed.
For instance if the ship travels 1000 yards in three minutes they are going
10 Kts. On the radar you really need to do something when the contact has a
steady bearing and decreasing range. You are on a collision course,
regardless of how it looks to your eye.

Scott
"Karl Denninger" wrote in message

In article ,
renewontime dot com wrote:

Fascinating. I'd like to learn more - can you point me at any web
sites? I can't find anything much over 25kts.

Our site has a news section, or try
http://www.marinelink.com/main/main.asp but I did a quick search on the
net and didn't find much. Better to get a subscription to "Maritime
Reporter" and "MarineNews", in the current issues there are several
articles about "high speed" vessels.

The only ships around here that run 30+ knots are the ones that are

painted
gray and have assorted pointy things sticking out from various parts of

their
superstructure.

Oh yeah, if you approach at a closing rate which they determine to be
potentially hostile, they will use the pointy things.

That will definitely ruin your day.

When I'm offshore my radar is up and operating. That's the best

visibility
enhancer that I've got.

I can see SHIPS out 8-10nm or so (visually) on a clear day/night, and on
radar quite a bit further. Land disappears 10ish nm around here, in no
small part due to the elevation of some of the buildings (which helps)

Small boats are usually not visible to the naked eye much beyond 4nm or

so,
although I will often tag them on radar significantly before that.

All this from my flybridge.

Karl Denninger ) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights

Activist
http://www.denninger.net My home on the net - links to everything I do!
http://scubaforum.org Your UNCENSORED place to talk about DIVING!
http://www.spamcuda.net SPAM FREE mailboxes - FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME!
http://genesis3.blogspot.com Musings Of A Sentient Mind

Rodney Myrvaagnes

wrote:

rhys wrote:
wrote:

This thread now illustrates the dangers of cross posting, especially to an
American NG.

I'm Canadian and hold a British passport. So what's the debate about
Ellen's win? I haven't heard anything since she finished.

It's not a widespread controversy, or even a controversy at all really.
A few regulars on UKRS[1] have been conducting a long-drawn-out argument
about something to do with Ellen. I'm not sure what the exact premise
is; "the exact degree of impressiveness of her feat" seems to about
cover it. Just newsgroup blather - ignore it.

I will. Half the people here couldn't sail 500 miles, never mind
35,000, singlehanded in a 60 foot tri. The other 50% will admit they
can't.

Her feat remains impressive. She's under 30 and five foot two. Most
circumnavigators are older (more experienced), bigger and stronger.

I fall in the first 50%. I might make 500 miles with nice weather.
35000 I wouldn't even start.

I suspect the problem is that she is popular in France as well as the
UK.

I thought she should have been knighted after fixing the main in a
knockdown on the Volvo 60. I still don't see what took them so long.

R.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

For your upscale SUV: Dingle-balls hand knit of natural Icelandic yarn
rhys

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:54:16 -0500, Rodney Myrvaagnes
wrote:

I fall in the first 50%. I might make 500 miles with nice weather.
35000 I wouldn't even start.

I would, if I could take five years and drop anchor about a hundred
times G. Oh, and I'd need rum for the captain's medicine chest.
Gosling's, preferably.

I suspect the problem is that she is popular in France as well as the
UK.

Well, I carry a British passport, so I feel qualified in saying that
is pig-ignorant. The French may have a number of easily identified
shortcomings, but they (or at least the Bretons!) are the world's
finest sailors and certainly are the nation that backs sport sailing
and participates in it to a higher degree than any other nation. I
would put the Australians/New Zealanders after the French and the
British after that. The U.S. and Canada are perhaps in the lower end
of the top ten, as I don't count the "billionaire's club" as being
representative of a thriving sailing culture so much as a plutocratic
culture that includes sailing as a way to spend millions of dollars on
"technical" races like America's Cup....the equivalent of breeding
horses to win 100 metre races, in my opinion.

I thought she should have been knighted after fixing the main in a
knockdown on the Volvo 60. I still don't see what took them so long.

She is in the same class as Yves Parlier (who cooked himself a new
spar on some desolate beach in the south Pacific) and Derek Hatfield,
who was dismasted off Argentina in an Open 40 in the last Five Oceans,
fixed the damage and *still* got a 3rd place finish despite having the
smallest and cheapest boat in his class.

Endurance is one thing, skill is another. But the pure mental grit and
determination and sheer resourcefulness shown over weeks of hardship
is what distinguishes solo distance sailing from every other sport, in
my opinion.

R.
rhys

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:21:23 GMT, WaIIy
wrote:

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:34:17 -0500, rhys wrote:

he U.S. and Canada are perhaps in the lower end
of the top ten, as I don't count the "billionaire's club" as being
representative of a thriving sailing culture so much as a plutocratic
culture that includes sailing as a way to spend millions of dollars on
"technical" races like America's Cup....the equivalent of breeding
horses to win 100 metre races, in my opinion.

America bad.

What a surprise.

Grow up, you whimpering pussy. I wasn't attacking America so much as
the America's Cup, and high-end, only the rich need apply races of
that ilk.

The America's Cup is named after a boat from the 19th century and has
zip to do with America. That Cup, which is run in almost comically
over-designed and frequently weak boats, has been held by non-U.S.
teams for the last 20 years, and it is European or multi-national
corporations that pay for the boats...unless you're Larry Ellison, who
is a good sailor, but not good enough to drive an America's Cup glass
canoe.

DSK

WaIIy wrote:
America bad.

What a surprise.

rhys wrote:
Grow up, you whimpering pussy. I wasn't attacking America so much as
the America's Cup, and high-end, only the rich need apply races of
that ilk.

If "rec.boats.cruising" isn't to become the moronic slag-fest that
"rec.boats" is now, people need to ignore the right-wingnuts like WaIIy.
They're not going to post like responsible, intelligent adults, so the
rest of us have to.

Actually, WaIIy has posted on-topic a number of times, he's not the
worst of the crowd. I am saying to ignore only his political rantings.

The America's Cup is named after a boat from the 19th century and has
zip to do with America. That Cup, which is run in almost comically
over-designed and frequently weak boats, has been held by non-U.S.
teams for the last 20 years

Whoa right there. You apparently know not of which you speak. The
America's Cup was won by New Zealand in 1995 over the US.

You have a right to express your opinions about America's Cup boats, but
please let's stick to facts of history.

DSK

Chris Lasdauskas

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:46:22 UTC, DSK wrote:

The America's Cup is named after a boat from the 19th century and has
zip to do with America. That Cup, which is run in almost comically
over-designed and frequently weak boats, has been held by non-U.S.
teams for the last 20 years

Whoa right there. You apparently know not of which you speak. The
America's Cup was won by New Zealand in 1995 over the US.

You have a right to express your opinions about America's Cup boats, but
please let's stick to facts of history.

Pot, Kettle, Black
Australia II, 1983 or 4, ring any bells?

Chris