rhys

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:21:23 GMT, WaIIy
wrote:

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:34:17 -0500, rhys wrote:

he U.S. and Canada are perhaps in the lower end
of the top ten, as I don't count the "billionaire's club" as being
representative of a thriving sailing culture so much as a plutocratic
culture that includes sailing as a way to spend millions of dollars on
"technical" races like America's Cup....the equivalent of breeding
horses to win 100 metre races, in my opinion.

America bad.

What a surprise.

Grow up, you whimpering pussy. I wasn't attacking America so much as
the America's Cup, and high-end, only the rich need apply races of
that ilk.

The America's Cup is named after a boat from the 19th century and has
zip to do with America. That Cup, which is run in almost comically
over-designed and frequently weak boats, has been held by non-U.S.
teams for the last 20 years, and it is European or multi-national
corporations that pay for the boats...unless you're Larry Ellison, who
is a good sailor, but not good enough to drive an America's Cup glass
canoe.