Jeff

Chris Lasdauskas wrote:

The America's Cup is named after a boat from the 19th century and has
zip to do with America. That Cup, which is run in almost comically
over-designed and frequently weak boats, has been held by non-U.S.
teams for the last 20 years

Whoa right there. You apparently know not of which you speak. The
America's Cup was won by New Zealand in 1995 over the US.

You have a right to express your opinions about America's Cup boats, but
please let's stick to facts of history.

Pot, Kettle, Black
Australia II, 1983 or 4, ring any bells?

Ah, Chris, before you do the "pot, kettle, black" nonsense it would be
wise to actually look at the facts. While its true the Australia II
took the Cup in '83, it was won back in '87 by Stars and Stripes, and
successfully defended twice, in '88 an '92. The claim that the cup
"has been held by non-US teams for the last 20 years" is clearly
false, since the US held it for 8 years of the last 20.
rhys

On 3 Apr 2005 15:24:25 +0700, "Chris Lasdauskas"
wrote:

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:46:22 UTC, DSK wrote:

The America's Cup is named after a boat from the 19th century and has
zip to do with America. That Cup, which is run in almost comically
over-designed and frequently weak boats, has been held by non-U.S.
teams for the last 20 years

Whoa right there. You apparently know not of which you speak. The
America's Cup was won by New Zealand in 1995 over the US.

You have a right to express your opinions about America's Cup boats, but
please let's stick to facts of history.

Pot, Kettle, Black
Australia II, 1983 or 4, ring any bells?

Exactly. Apparently, I do know.

R.

rhys

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 08:21:03 -0400, Jeff
wrote:

Chris Lasdauskas wrote:

[...]

That's why I did not say "exclusively", as the last 20 years represent
a change from the previous 130 years, during which the AC was held
exclusively by U.S. sailing teams and vessels.

But as I see now how the comment was read, we can skip further debate,
right?

My original point was how events like the America's Cup require
somewhat distorted scantlings (to say the least) in order to be
competitive *in that type of race*. If your boat can fold in half if
the wind hits 18 knots, I would submit it's a bit of a specialty race.
I've seen Optis out in 18 knots, for god's sake.

R.
Terry Spragg

dudley wrote:

renewontime dot com wrote:

Are containers a real threat?

We hit something about
mid-ocean on a trip from San Diego to Hilo back in 2000, damaging our

rudder. Not sure what it was, as we never saw it. Could have been a

container.

I've never seen (nor hit) a container at sea, but I have hit a whale
near the Channel Islands (off Southern California coast). The whale
was big enough to completely stop the boat's momentum while under
sail. My guess is that we hit it with the keel, but we were very
lucky it wasn't the rudder.

dudley
.

It would have been luck only if the designer had put the rudder at
the front.

Are you sure you hit the whale, or was it the other way around?

Terry K

Gordon

Have a friend who is single handing at this moment to New Zealand from
Port Angeles Washington (he left in May). Anyhow, he has hit both whales
(bent the rudder) and sunken container (nice dent in bow) in his many years
in his homebuilt 32' steel hull.
Gordon
BTW this is Edwards 4th or 5th round trip. Oh, did I mention he is 79 yrs
old?
Gordon

"Terry Spragg" wrote in message
dudley wrote:

renewontime dot com wrote:

Are containers a real threat?

We hit something about
mid-ocean on a trip from San Diego to Hilo back in 2000, damaging our

rudder. Not sure what it was, as we never saw it. Could have been a

container.

I've never seen (nor hit) a container at sea, but I have hit a whale
near the Channel Islands (off Southern California coast). The whale
was big enough to completely stop the boat's momentum while under
sail. My guess is that we hit it with the keel, but we were very
lucky it wasn't the rudder.

dudley
.

It would have been luck only if the designer had put the rudder at
the front.

Are you sure you hit the whale, or was it the other way around?

Terry K

Keith

In message , Gordon
writes
Have a friend who is single handing at this moment to New Zealand from
Port Angeles Washington (he left in May). Anyhow, he has hit both whales
(bent the rudder) and sunken container (nice dent in bow) in his many years
in his homebuilt 32' steel hull.
Gordon
BTW this is Edwards 4th or 5th round trip. Oh, did I mention he is 79 yrs
old?

Respect.
--
Keith replace nospam with ilf0rd