rhys

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 08:21:03 -0400, Jeff
wrote:

Chris Lasdauskas wrote:

The America's Cup is named after a boat from the 19th century and has
zip to do with America. That Cup, which is run in almost comically
over-designed and frequently weak boats, has been held by non-U.S.
teams for the last 20 years

Whoa right there. You apparently know not of which you speak. The
America's Cup was won by New Zealand in 1995 over the US.

You have a right to express your opinions about America's Cup boats, but
please let's stick to facts of history.

Pot, Kettle, Black
Australia II, 1983 or 4, ring any bells?

Ah, Chris, before you do the "pot, kettle, black" nonsense it would be
wise to actually look at the facts. While its true the Australia II
took the Cup in '83, it was won back in '87 by Stars and Stripes, and
successfully defended twice, in '88 an '92. The claim that the cup
"has been held by non-US teams for the last 20 years" is clearly
false, since the US held it for 8 years of the last 20.

That's why I did not say "exclusively", as the last 20 years represent
a change from the previous 130 years, during which the AC was held
exclusively by U.S. sailing teams and vessels.

But as I see now how the comment was read, we can skip further debate,
right?

My original point was how events like the America's Cup require
somewhat distorted scantlings (to say the least) in order to be
competitive *in that type of race*. If your boat can fold in half if
the wind hits 18 knots, I would submit it's a bit of a specialty race.
I've seen Optis out in 18 knots, for god's sake.

R.