Jerry

Default caribe MVP engine size

We have a 9' Caribe MVP with a 9.8 Tohatsu. With one person in the boat it
moves very well but put a second person in it it really slows down. I
bought the 9.8 because of the weight. I am told the 9.9. has more torque
than the 9.8. Does anyone have a similar setup. Any suggestions on
improving the power. The boat will take up to a 15hp but that might be a
bit of overkill.

Jerry
Wayne.B

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 09:54:08 -0500, Jerry wrote:
We have a 9' Caribe MVP with a 9.8 Tohatsu. With one person in the boat it
moves very well but put a second person in it it really slows down. I
bought the 9.8 because of the weight. I am told the 9.9. has more torque
than the 9.8. Does anyone have a similar setup. Any suggestions on
improving the power. The boat will take up to a 15hp but that might be a
bit of overkill.

=============================

You might get better performance out of the 9.8 if you go to a prop
with slightly lower pitch. It would be like shifting to a lower gear
on your car.

The difference between a 9.8 and 9.9 will be insignificant unless the
9.9 has a different gear ratio and/or prop pitch.

In my experience 15 hp is about right for a boat that size. You don't
always use the extra power but it's there when you need it.
David&Joan

Jerry:

I have a Caribe 9X with the Tohatsu 9.8. As Wayne suggests in his post, I
changed the prop to a flatter pitch and it made a huge difference. I ordered
the prop thru BoatUS who sells the equivalent Nissan O/B. It cost about $65.
The flatter pitch prop lets me plane with about 400 lbs of load whereas
before I could only plane with about 200 lbs (me).

David

"Jerry" wrote in message
We have a 9' Caribe MVP with a 9.8 Tohatsu. With one person in the boat it
moves very well but put a second person in it it really slows down. I
bought the 9.8 because of the weight. I am told the 9.9. has more torque
than the 9.8. Does anyone have a similar setup. Any suggestions on
improving the power. The boat will take up to a 15hp but that might be a
bit of overkill.

Jerry

Jerry

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 08:34:00 -0800, David&Joan wrote:
I appreciate the advice and will try a flatter pitched prop. Was there some
specific size or pitch you ordered from Boat US.

Jerry

Jerry:

I have a Caribe 9X with the Tohatsu 9.8. As Wayne suggests in his post, I
changed the prop to a flatter pitch and it made a huge difference. I ordered
the prop thru BoatUS who sells the equivalent Nissan O/B. It cost about $65.
The flatter pitch prop lets me plane with about 400 lbs of load whereas
before I could only plane with about 200 lbs (me).

David&Joan

Jerry:

The flatter pitch prop is for the long shaft 9.8 hp O/B. I think that there
are only two pitches for Tohatsu/Nissan O/Bs: the one that came with your
short shaft and the one that comes with the long shaft model. So just ask
the BoatUS special order clerk for a new prop for a long shaft Nissan.

David

Wayne.B

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 21:01:18 -0800, "David&Joan"
wrote:

The flatter pitch prop is for the long shaft 9.8 hp O/B. I think that there
are only two pitches for Tohatsu/Nissan O/Bs: the one that came with your
short shaft and the one that comes with the long shaft model. So just ask
the BoatUS special order clerk for a new prop for a long shaft Nissan.

=============================

That would make sense since the long shaft motor would usually end up
on a heavier boat that needed a lower pitch.

Jerry

From what I can determine there is a prop for the short shaft 8.5x8.5 and
one for a long shaft 8.5x7.5 plus Tohatsu lists a third prop for just
"heavier" weight boats this is evidently an option for both long and short
shaft motors. The pitch on this one is 8.5x6.5. The Caribe with the
modified keel is 130 plus 56 pounds for the engine so I would think the
later prop would be the answer.

Jerry
David&Joan

Jerry:

If you can wait a few weeks so I can get down to the boat and check, I will
email you the pitch I have. I suspect it is the one in the middle, which is
perfect for our dinghy.

David
"Jerry" wrote in message
From what I can determine there is a prop for the short shaft 8.5x8.5 and
one for a long shaft 8.5x7.5 plus Tohatsu lists a third prop for just
"heavier" weight boats this is evidently an option for both long and short
shaft motors. The pitch on this one is 8.5x6.5. The Caribe with the
modified keel is 130 plus 56 pounds for the engine so I would think the
later prop would be the answer.

Jerry

Jerry

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:35:17 -0800, David&Joan wrote:
David

That would be great. Thanks.

Jerry
Jerry:

If you can wait a few weeks so I can get down to the boat and check, I will
email you the pitch I have. I suspect it is the one in the middle, which is
perfect for our dinghy.

David
"Jerry" wrote in message
From what I can determine there is a prop for the short shaft 8.5x8.5 and
one for a long shaft 8.5x7.5 plus Tohatsu lists a third prop for just
"heavier" weight boats this is evidently an option for both long and short
shaft motors. The pitch on this one is 8.5x6.5. The Caribe with the
modified keel is 130 plus 56 pounds for the engine so I would think the
later prop would be the answer.

Jerry

Jerry

David

Our Caribe is a 9' MVP with a modified keel. It weighs rough 135 pounds. Is
that similar to your 9X?

Jerry

power vs sail O:P\) Cruising 36 March 18th 04 02:27 AM
Engine News from Genmar Gould 0738 General 8 October 27th 03 04:47 PM
Usage of motoroil Steven Shelikoff General 153 September 17th 03 12:55 PM
Ignorant Dupes jlrogers ASA 109 August 11th 03 11:16 AM