Wayne.B

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 09:54:08 -0500, Jerry wrote:
We have a 9' Caribe MVP with a 9.8 Tohatsu. With one person in the boat it
moves very well but put a second person in it it really slows down. I
bought the 9.8 because of the weight. I am told the 9.9. has more torque
than the 9.8. Does anyone have a similar setup. Any suggestions on
improving the power. The boat will take up to a 15hp but that might be a
bit of overkill.

You might get better performance out of the 9.8 if you go to a prop
with slightly lower pitch. It would be like shifting to a lower gear
on your car.

The difference between a 9.8 and 9.9 will be insignificant unless the
9.9 has a different gear ratio and/or prop pitch.

In my experience 15 hp is about right for a boat that size. You don't
always use the extra power but it's there when you need it.